Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: downward stroke on the press is extremley hard

Default downward stroke on the press is extremley hard

Im resizing some 270 brass. Using a hornady locknload press, used RCBS dies I picked up, hornady one shot lube.

The upward stroke feels smooth, then the part where I imagine the shoulder and the neck are getting resized (almost the end of the downward stroke) it is very hard to get it down.

What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Im resizing some 270 brass. Using a hornady locknload press, used RCBS dies I picked up, hornady one shot lube.

The upward stroke feels smooth, then the part where I imagine the shoulder and the neck are getting resized (almost the end of the downward stroke) it is very hard to get it down.

What am I doing wrong?
    It sounds as if you are not properly lubing inside of the necks. I use graphite.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Yep I agree, sounds like not enough lube. The expander pulls up through the neck on the down stroke and resizes the neck, sounds like it is binding as the expander come through the neck. I use a carbide expander to reduce stress on the brass and polish all my expanders by removing the stem and chucking it in a drill and using some JB bore polish on a rag while I spin it with the drill.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    It sounds as if you are not properly lubing inside of the necks. I use graphite.
    Agreed. And with my press (an original recipe Rock Chuker) I find that keeping the ram clean and lubed makes a big difference too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It helps to brush the inside of the necks with a cleaning brush, copper or fiber, before you size the case.

BUT, I suggest putting some Lube on a Q Tip and lubing inside the neck, making sure to catch the INSIDE neck shoulder.

You can clean it out after sizing, with Q Tips too, but you use a LOT of them, if you do.

Better to use a patch loop cleaning tip and a short section of rod or a handle that the loop will screw into.

Use a smaller patch and change the patch after several cases, 10 cases, whatever seems to work best.

That's guaranteed to solve you problem. Just keep in mind that a guarantee is only as good as the one who gives it to you.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That hornady one shot stuff while a novel idea you have to use a whole bunch of it! I went back to using the redding case lube stuff you apply with your fingers great stuff. If you continue to use the one shot stuff you have to literaly drench your cases with it. Trust me I know I have a stuck 223 case in my sizing die right now. Even though I thought I applied a pretty good dose I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    That hornady one shot stuff while a novel idea you have to use a whole bunch of it! I went back to using the redding case lube stuff you apply with your fingers great stuff. If you continue to use the one shot stuff you have to literaly drench your cases with it. Trust me I know I have a stuck 223 case in my sizing die right now. Even though I thought I applied a pretty good dose I didn't.
    yeah im not impressed with this one shot. Also not impressed with the primeing system on the lock n load press.

Try a tiny touch of Imperial sizing wax on the outside of the case as well as on the inside of case neck. Done deal, and you won't be tempted to use any other sizing lube.

A major improvement over One Shot spray is spray-on canola oil that is used for cooking; cheaper too. Spray it on a pad and roll the brass, lube the inside of the case necks with Imperial Sizing Wax. Imperial Sizing wax is far superior to any liquid on the market and is the ultimate lubricant for wildcatting brass; won't damage primers either.
    As brass is decapped the burned ignition component falls on the press joints. Clean the press with break cleaner and lube with a light gun oil.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

The only thing I use hornady one shot on is to give a little spritz to straight wall pistol cases when using carbide dies. I know it's not needed but it does make things a little smoother. I refuse to use it where you really need a case lube but I've got a partial can left that I just can't throw out. Yup, I'm cheap. Hornady Unique Case Lube Is another lube that I like as well as Imperial.

where can a guy get this imperial in anchorage

I bought mine from Midway- Long long ago, because a little can lasts a lifetime.

Until you get some Imperial wax you can spray a case brush with lube and brush the inside of your cases.

You can get Imperial at SW or Boondocks with Boondocks being somewhat cheaper. A little tin of Imperial lasts a loooong time.

NO....The inside of the neck is done on the final upstroke. You are probably bottoming out the ram on the die bottom and pushing it through the final bit by compressing the linkage. Try backing the die off a 1/4 turn (up).

Ditto on the imperial lube but lube the inside with dry mica film for best results. Mostly the base of the case is the toughest to size and must be lubed well all the way around. No excess lube on the shoulder as that will dent the shoulder of the case.

(My up and down refers to the handle not the ram)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I use imperial sizing lube on the body of the case, and lee lube applied with a q-tip on the inside of the neck.

As mentioned your press needs an occasional lubing as well, a light coating of lithium greese on the ram does wonders, and oil at the pivots of the linkage.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    NO....The inside of the neck is done on the final upstroke. You are probably bottoming out the ram on the die bottom and pushing it through the final bit by compressing the linkage. Try backing the die off a 1/4 turn (up).

Ditto on the imperial lube but lube the inside with dry mica film for best results. Mostly the base of the case is the toughest to size and must be lubed well all the way around. No excess lube on the shoulder as that will dent the shoulder of the case.

(My up and down refers to the handle not the ram)
    I did back the die up, but then it makes it so the brass is hard to close the bolt on. I still havent got the imperial stuff. That reloading is on the backburner for a bit

What am I doing wrong?
    I just read your post again. I think I misunderstood, like others, may have.

If you're talkin about getting the case fullly sized, sometimes it IS hard.

You might try making sure there is adequate lube on the base of the case.

OR different brass. Was this brass was fired in YOUR rifle?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I just read your post again. I think I misunderstood, like others, may have.

If you're talkin about getting the case fullly sized, sometimes it IS hard.

You might try making sure there is adequate lube on the base of the case.

OR different brass. Was this brass was fired in YOUR rifle?

Smitty of the North
    No you guys are reading it right. Im talking about pushing the handle up/ram moving down. And no the brass Im resizing was fired in a different rifle, and is going on its 3rd resizing. Actually the only brass Im getting to chamber smooth in the new rifle im resizing for is unfired brass. Think the old stuff just has too much of a memory or something?

No you guys are reading it right. Im talking about pushing the handle up/ram moving down. And no the brass Im resizing was fired in a different rifle, and is going on its 3rd resizing. Actually the only brass Im getting to chamber smooth in the new rifle im resizing for is unfired brass. Think the old stuff just has too much of a memory or something?
    So, you've got TWO problems?

That sounds plausible to me, that the brass is too hard and large to size, or size easily, enough for your rifle. You might try overadjusting the die. If it would chamber BEFORE sizing, I'd suggest a Neck sizing die.

As to the case being difficult coming out of the die when the neck is expanded, as has been said already, you need to lube inside the neck.

I've HEARD that the necks can be pulled so much by the expander, that the shoulder gets longer, but never gave that much credence. ???? Because it's never happened to me. ???

I wish I could help more. I'm very interested in hand loading problems.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast