Thread: fishing during dark?

Default fishing during dark?

Anyone try ice fishing during the dark? I did some googling. Seems to be a good time according to walleye fisherman. Wondering about rainbows. One summer we caught rainbows in a creek when it was about pitch dark. Caught them on egg immitations. I couldnt believe they could see them.

I have ice fished once in the dark, we got there early morning, then fished through the afternoon. Nothing was caught all day so that trip was inconclusive.

Yes I have. Sometimes good results sometimes slow.
    often they have a harder time homing in on your bait. It is important to make sure you are returning your jig to the exact same spot after jigging and to give longer pauses. A good bait is usually neccessary so they can smell your jig and find it quicker.
    I have had days where we had to tease them and get them to chase the bait up until they wouldn't Chase it anymore then jingle it in their face and they would finally hit it. Of course you need a flasher for this technique to work.
    Also remember sunrise is about 1/2 hour later under the ice and sunset 1/2 hour earlier.
    Walleye have large eyes and see better in low light than their prey. They like to swim near the bottom and when they bump a perch or other prey the prey will swim off and the walleye will home in on them and chow down.
    Rainbows eat a lot of smaller prey like freshwater shrimp leeches and various zooplankton under the ice though they do eat smaller fish on occasion I feel it is a smaller part of their diet and they don't see much better than their prey.
    First light and dusk have always been hot times for me though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I always find they bite best during midday. 9am is too early and 3pm is too late. Always seems 11-1 is best, at least on the Interior lakes.

I caught rainbows until 10:00 pm last week in Anchorage.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Not in Alaska, but as a kid we did. We did much better for Cusk (Bourbot) in the wee hours. I don't think the fish really depend on sight as much as you do.

I haven't had luck catching anything after dark besides burbot. I was wondering this exact thing myself. Of course on lakes where no bait is allowed, night fishing has to be extremely tough.

Butbot are know to feed at night so thats when I always fish for them.
    As for other species such as Rainbows it seems if I am catching them before it gets dark they will sometimes feed after dark.
    I am not sure I would have as much luck fishing for them if I showed up after it was already dark and started fishing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Fished a local lake until after midnight the other day. Caught rainbows and arctic char until the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Fished a local lake until after midnight the other day. Caught rainbows and arctic char until the last minute.
    What were you using? Bait or Lures?

Jigs with bait & swedish pimples with bait. Chars seemed to prefer salmon eggs over shrimp. Rainbows didn't care either way.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I caught rainbows until 10:00 pm last week in Anchorage.

woah woah woah, were talking about alaska here not anchorage/eagleriver. with all them city lights the fish have no idea what time it is. heck the lights go all the way out to the knik bridge now. like a los angelous freeway.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    woah woah woah, were talking about alaska here not anchorage/eagleriver. with all them city lights the fish have no idea what time it is. heck the lights go all the way out to the knik bridge now. like a los angelous freeway.
    Fishing in an ice-shack under fourteen inches of ice after sundown in Anchorage, it's pretty dark.