Thread: Hornady Bullets Interlock vs SST

Default Hornady Bullets Interlock vs SST

Been shooting Interlock bullets in some of my guns for years. Broke down and bought a box of the SST in 130 gr. 270 Win. the other day. How do they compare to the older lead tiped bullets when taking game? I was impressed with them on paper but have not got to try them on game. Will be using them on deer sized animals and hunting where there is no dangerous game. I stayed away from the SST bullets for a long time thinking they would be more for target shooting than hunting. The 130 gr. SST is averageing 2875 fps. from my 270 Win. and shooting less than 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I have shot several groups with these using H4831sc powder and they are staying with in about 30 fps. from high to low. Would like your thoughts on them from some of you that have used them to take game.

I have limited experience with the SST because most of my rifles seem to prefer the Interlock for accuracy when velocities go up. I notice that your load is pretty mild with the 270, and wonder if results will be +/- as you pass 3000 fps. No telling till you try it. As for impact on game, I haven't killed enough with the SST to be sure, but so far I'm seeing comparable wound channels.

SSTs are fine for deer sized game, just stick them through the lungs and avoid shoulder shots. They are more frangible than an interlock, so you'll blow bigger holes and lose more meat if bone is impacted. I've killed a handful of deer with them.

The Hornady SST bullets are similiar to the Nosler Ballistic Tips. OK for deer/antelope but fragile for anything tough. You would probably be better off by using the Interlock product for everything.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

SST's are excellent for deer sized game. I use 140gr SST for deer hunting here in Northern Sask. Have shot alot of deer with both the 130 gr and 140gr in SST and Interlock . Have you considered the 140gr. Seems to hold together better than 130gr while retaining more energy on the far end of things. This years deer, a large mature buck, was shot through the front shoulder at 80yds quartering to me and was slightly downhill. The bullet broke the front shoulder and continued through a rib, took out heart and lungs and was embedded on far hide. The mushroom weighed 88gr. The recipe is 56.0gr of H4831SC and clocks at 2950fps and is very accurate. Goodluck.