Thread: 375 Ruger velocities

Default 375 Ruger velocities

I'm looking at purchasing a new Ruger 375. Ruger has the Alaskan and they also make a stainless laminate stocked version. As you all are probably aware the Alaskan has a 20in barrel where as the stainless laminate has a 23in barrel, both come with iron sights, weigh the same (according to the Ruger web site) and cost the same. I'm just curious how much velocity would be lost between the two.

I currently have a 22in barrel 338 and like the balance and don't neccessarily have a preferrence between the two Ruger rifles. The laminate is sleek and the Alaskan is all business. I don't neccessarily plan on using this rifle primarily for up close and personal bear defense, so what do you guys think?

Thanks!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

I have the 20" version "Alaskan", my buddy does too. Both guns shoot very well. About 1" with a couple different loads. I am confident with the rifle after shooting to 300 yards several times at the range and in the field. My gun has been used to kill two moose very dead in short order as you would expect. I use the 250g barnes tipped bullets instead of the 270 or 300 TSX and have noticed much flatter trajectories. I have a new crony and will be checking the speed here in a week or so. It all boils down to if you like the hogue stock or not. Some hate 'em, I love them and have a couple of rifles with that stock. I am sure both guns will work well for both hunting and bear protection. The three inches of barrel will give you more velocity, but the critters won't really know the difference. I sure like the handy little barrel. Ruger did a good job with this rifle.

I've got a couple of the 20" versions... no complaints except for the Hogue stock. Shoots OK and absorbs recoil very well but it feels clumsy. I plan on replacing one of them with a MPI fiberglass type stock at some point.

From a pure aesthetic standpoint that 23" version with the laminate is pretty good looking but I'm not sure there's a nickle of practical difference in the two in the field.

With 250 or 260gr bullets it will shoot surprisingly flat.

I have not yet shot any game with my 375 African (23 inch barrel) but I have shot it a bit over the "Chrony". I just finished loading some 260 gr Accubond for elk here in CO...next year..and here's my load: 75.5 gr RL15 gets 2850 vel. That's 0.5 gr off max in Nosler's latest book. I have a 338 Win Mag with a 22 inch barrel and it is my real "go to " gun. I use 76 gr IMR 4350 behind either a 200 gr Accubond or 210 gr Nolser partition. That gives me a vel of 3089. I used to get 3100 before I cut the barrel down from 24 inches. I have used that load for years and have killed lots of game including African plains game. The 22 inch barrel makes it a bit more balanced and I like it a lot. I have always used Nosler partitions!!! but want to give the Accubonds a try. The 260 Accubond has a BC of .473. The 375 Ruger 260 accubond and the 338 Nosler 210 partition follow the same ballistics path!! At 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yds they are both 5 inches low at 300 yds. I think this Ruger 375 is a real winner!!

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Thanks for the replies guys! Have any of you had an issue with the open sights? I see that they are adjustable for windage but not elevation. Any problem with them being too low or too high at 100yards or so?
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! Have any of you had an issue with the open sights? I see that they are adjustable for windage but not elevation. Any problem with them being too low or too high at 100yards or so?
    Can't speak for all of them, but both of mine hit pretty close to point of aim at 100yds. The fat front bead precludes any real precision shooting at any distance to speak of, but I'd have no problems taking a 100-150yd shot at a moose with them.

They are extremely rugged sights...more so than any factory irons I've seen in a long time and quite fast to use.