Thread: grouse and hares with a 177 pellet gun, 650 FPS?

Default grouse and hares with a 177 pellet gun, 650 FPS?

I have been using a bee man silver bear, but it broke this summer, so yesterday i bought a beeman "pump master 760" you can pump it up as much as you want it it was 27 bucks at walmart. I was shooting it today and with 20 pumps it is very powerful, shoots quarter size groups, most of that is up and down. I was gonna give it to my sister to teach her trigger pull, breathing control and such, but Im gonna give her a camera case instead....hehe it is kinda flimsy but fine for shooting squirrels out to 15 yards or so. gonna try it on a grouse, but have a 22 pistol handy for incase it doesn't do the trick, which I doubt. maybe a rabbit would be better cause it won't have the thick feathers. It has crude open sights, but my question is, would it penetrate the feathers and hair and meat and git into the vitals of a rabbit or a grouse? I shot a squirrel with it and it went all the way through, at 10 yards or so. it sounds like a stinking 22 going off. and you can hear it hit hard, not sure if 20 pumps is more than they tested it at for their published velocity of 625. it sounds like it hits harder and faster than my bee man silver bear, and the velocity ratings were the same.

Should I try it?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Your basically at the velocity of a .22 CB Cap with less bullet weight and energy.

If you have other options why would you attempt to take game with an air rifle? I thought you had some other arms available to you?

Not saying it can't be done- it can, but you're really handicapping yourself. I correspond with a British airgun hunter pretty regularly...he thinks the .177 is just too weak for all but the closest and most precise shots. He shoots a variety of airguns since cartridge arms are pretty highly regulated over there. He moved away from the .177 after seeing solid hits on hares and having them bound away never to be recovered. He shoots mainly .22 and .25 calibers now.

Agree the .177 may be a bit small in caliber vs .22, but no reason you shouldn't be good enough to make head shots, especially if you keep your ranges within reason.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

We have a beeman and Gamo .177 that shoots 1000 fps that you crack in half that takes grouse/rabbits all the time. My son and I also have each a crossman pump action pistol .177 that shoots up to 600 fps that also kills them grave yard dead. I haven't used mine in years, but my oldest boy loves his and has gotten pretty darn accurate with it. Any small game within 50 feet is stew meat! BTW, we only shoot the pointed pellets.

I have a similarly powered air rifle in .177 that I have taken squirrels and ptarmigan with. I had no problems with the ptarmigan, I kept the range reasonable-meaning close enough I could hit them in the head over open sights. I would not rely on good penetration through the flight feathers.

As thin skinned as hares are I would not hesitate either, however, I would do my best to avoid trying to put a pellet through the shoulder into the chest, I think a head shot would be optimum. Again, getting within close enough range will be the biggest challenge.

Let us know how you do.

It will work for sure! I killed 100 plus as a kid with an air rifle. My cousins killed probably 2-3 times that amount as they lived a bit further out. Head shots are a must they don't have the power to consistently penetrate the breast and you don't want to shoot that anyway.

Sad fact is you are about 20 years late on getting good cheap air guns. The ones today are the same model and look the same as the old ones in many cases but are now all plastic where they were predominately metal when I was a kid. I bought 3 powerline 880's for my boys which is the same model that lived for almost 30 years next to my uncles back door and killed hundreds of birds and bunnies. The new ones are a shadow of that old gun!!

Yes, I do have 22's and shotguns, but its so small and light and cheap, I couldn't resist buying it, hoping to improve my shoot skills. I was shooting it at 30 yards earlier, and it was still grouping smaller than a silver dollar, not bad with open sights. I sho it at an old TV at 15 yards and it went through the thick plastic on the side and through a lot of the hard wire and did a lot of damage. typically when I shoot grouse and rabbits with the 22 I shoot for the base of the neck. its fun to shoot, and its cheap and a challenge, especially cause if your breath isn't right and if you "slap" the trigger your error is exaggerated.

Thanks for the replys. we have had a few ptarmigan livin on the property that let you get close to them, I think I'll shoot one of them as a test, and have my brother ready with a shotgun, or visa versa cause Im better with moving targets, he is more accurate for off hand shots. Gonna do a few more tests before I do that though, just to be safe.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Hey FFG, post a picture when you get that'tarmy.

I couldn't find it yet, still tryin.

I shot a squirrel today, and after tasking one shot and it going into the tree right beside it I it was one of those shots you only see a sliver of its back, and my gun shoot a hair right, it was running up a tree so I only pumped it up about half way, and took a 15 yard shot, it was facing me, kinda sitting down like they do, and it center punched it right through the collar bone, and it angled out and came out mid way down its spine, and it stopped just right under the skin, I think if I had the full 15 pumps that I usually have, it would not have been a problem. it ran up the tree 5 feet and its front feet kinda quit climbing but his back feet didn't and it fell out of the tree, he never moved again. I got autopsy pictures but I doubt it would be appropriate to post them here. defiantly gone pump it up all the way form now on though.