Thread: Ice fishing C&R?

Default Ice fishing C&R?

Do most of you guys C&R your fish while ice fishing? If so how long is it safe to keep them out of the water for pic ops and what not? Dont wanna throw a frozen log back in.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I do C&R when my line breaks honestly though, I think you would want to take it as fast as possible, if its very cold the water on them freezes almost instantly. so I'd pull it up, take a quick picture or 2, and put it back, try to be under 30 seconds. if its 30 degrees out, try to keep it under a minute.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

FFG makes a good point, try to be as quick as possible. Some of the fish out of Windy Lake would start freezing in as little as 5 seconds due to the howling wind. The less time on the ice the better. I've only harvested a few fish, they just don't taste as good as salmon caught during the summer. They seem to be more of a hastle then it's worth, but each to his own. I'm not going to judge someone for keeping a fish from a stocked lake, unless they are not following the regs.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Not all of em.....the wife and I love fresh fish. Many do get returned, though. Lot of variables, IMO. Size, type, weather conditions, fight duration, remaining oxygen content all factor in. I would think that an older, 20-plus inch rainbow that exhausts itself in a lengthy fight would need to be released much quicker than a younger, more feisty 14" rainbow. That same large rainbow might even kill himself during the fight if caught in late January/February, and the angler wouldn't know it. Many a fish has swam strongly away just to go belly up a short time later. We wouldn't know or see this of course like we do during open water months.

I gotta believe that char, lakers and pike which are tuned for this environment might be OK out of water for 30 seconds longer than a rainbow. I could be wrong, though.

I'm thinking about a minute, max. Have your camera, tripod, etc readily available. As usual, handle em with care and get em back in the water ASAP. If in doubt about it's condition, keep it if legal to do so.

P.S. Thank you for your service, c6 batmobile. My wife is AF, too and is rolling up on the 20-year point. I hung my Army hat after 22.5 years. Hooah!

Thanks for the replies. Just curiosity as Ive never fished this type of environment before. Im pretty well stocked on salmon until next summer rolls around so I really dont need to keep more fish just want to get out of the house for a bit and I love to fish.

And Raffy. Thank you and your wife for your service. Over 40 years of combined service thats dedication!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

At the Big Lake derby they had a hole drilled at the official measuring station. If you returned the fish alive after it got measured, they gave you an extra inch. I had a tote full of water in my truck and I'd put the fish in the tote and drive over and get measured then release it. Thanks to my live-tote the extra inch put me over the top and I took 3rd

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Forget C&R, what you need is a wok. Right into the frying pan, baby! The only thing I'll toss back is the minnows (anything under about 12 inches or so, depending on species and thickness) and who's going to take a picture of those?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Forget C&R, . . The only thing I'll toss back is the minnows (anything under about 12 inches or so, . .
    Eating sprats, smelt, and sardines will cure you of that mistake, JOAT . . they all taste the same.

Myself and the handful of guys I fish with release all fish we catch. I kept only a few fish last year that were hooked real deep on a deadstick. The lakers we catch at Harding are all released within 20-30 seconds after a few quick photos. I find it handy to drill a hole outside the ice hut for this specific purpose.

Last year I posted a research article done in 2005 by a couple of local biologists, Brendan Scanlon and Brian Taras from fish and game titled, "An investigation of hooking mortality of lake trout angled through ice." It is very interesting reading and should be helpful. Here is the link: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fds05-43.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    At the Big Lake derby they had a hole drilled at the official measuring station. If you returned the fish alive after it got measured, they gave you an extra inch. I had a tote full of water in my truck and I'd put the fish in the tote and drive over and get measured then release it. Thanks to my live-tote the extra inch put me over the top and I took 3rd
    Funny thing Fullbush, my wife and I did the same thing at the Big Lake derby last fall in the open water. Think it was September or October, becasue we got snowed on the boat when we stayed overnight. I think we got an extra half inch if released alive. Then I got to thinking, I thought it was illegal to transport any live fish in the state. Can anybody clarify this?

Good job on getting third place!

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    Funny thing Fullbush, my wife and I did the same thing at the Big Lake derby last fall in the open water. Think it was September or October, becasue we got snowed on the boat when we stayed overnight. I think we got an extra half inch if released alive. Then I got to thinking, I thought it was illegal to transport any live fish in the state. Can anybody clarify this?

Good job on getting third place!

Possession or marking of live fish or live fish eggs:
    It is unlawful to possess, transport, and release live fish or live fisheggs, or in any way mark any live fish prior to release, except inaccordance with the terms of a permit that may be issued by the
    Commissioner under 5 AAC 41 or AS 16.05.930(a).
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by akfshklr View Post
    Then I got to thinking, I thought it was illegal to transport any live fish in the state. Can anybody clarify this?
    Unless you have a "Johnny Whitehead" patrolling your lake, taking a fish out of one ice hole and putting it back in another ice hole in the same dang lake is hardly "transporting and releasing" live fish as intended under the law. That law is there to make it illegal to take fish from one location and move them to a completley different body of water, such as some selfish morons keep doing with pike. That said, the law is written loose enough to allow a nazi-type trooper with a chip to interpret your moving of a fish from one ice hole to another on the same lake as a violation of that law. Proceed at your own risk.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Unless you have a "Johnny Whitehead" patrolling your lake, taking a fish out of one ice hole and putting it back in another ice hole in the same dang lake is hardly "transporting and releasing" live fish as intended under the law. That law is there to make it illegal to take fish from one location and move them to a completley different body of water, such as some selfish morons keep doing with pike. That said, the law is written loose enough to allow a nazi-type trooper with a chip to interpret your moving of a fish from one ice hole to another on the same lake as a violation of that law. Proceed at your own risk.
    I think I agree with you JOAT, in that the intention of the law is mainly for pike ('dem baz-turds), although it may be reduce potential transfer of invasive species from one body of water to another as well.

However, I COMPLETELY agree with you in that troopers can interpret the regs very differently from one another. For instance, staying at Big Lake, ask the next two troopers that check your license out there if it is legal to chum your hole. Akelkok may say one thing, Valentine may say another and so on. I have asked the very same question on the Ask A Trooper thread here, more than once, and they will not cough up an answer. Asking on the ice, I have heard both that it is legal, and that it is not legal. So, do you do it and hope the next trooper is of that same interpretation? Not me. I do pretty well on Big Lake with hardware, jigs and soft baits, but I know on those very slow days, I believe I could improve my catch rate quite handily with chum in the hole. I don't deviate from regs, but this one continues to go unanswered.

Regarding Fullbush's post, I would sure not like to get pulled over in my truck by a trooper for whatever reason to have him find a big bow or char in a tub of water in my truck. Who's to say where it came from? I saw two guys at the north shore boat launch at last years's derby transfer a fish in a tote from a suburban to the boat. Wonder if those guys picked up money from the Big Lake Berkshore derby with a big fish from another lake???

Just sayin'........