Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber 8400

Default Kimber 8400

Finally got one a slightly used one but paid 875 for it at boondocks... Kimber 8400 Montanan 325 wsm... Had my bud stay there to pull guard duty on it while I drove to the bank for money... Time for a scope I guess leupold will work

Sweet find!! I still like the extra eye relief offered by the Zeiss at 9x but it won't make you kill anything deader than the leupy will.

I know when bronco and I saw the price I was on the phone with my primary lender "wife". I really want to run a 2.5x8 on it but man I don't know. It did come with talley light wieght rings

Nice score. What bullets you going to try? You got plenty of time to have it ready for spring bear.

I plan using 200gr partition and 200gr accubonds as well. I got some RL 17 and IMR 4007 as well. I hope this works out the last WSM I had I could not get that thing to shoot my reloads I tried everything, but it would shoot factory ammo into less that 1/2 inch groups. But at the time 300 WSM ammo was going for 40 bucks a box we are talking 2004 time frame if I remember right maybe 2005.

Nice score on the Kimber. Talley LW's and Leup 2.5-8x36 makes a nice package. I've had one since 2005. Wit a lightweight nylon sling it weighs 7 lbs. I considered the Zeiss scope but the optical end was huge, it just seemed out of place on the sleek Kimber.

When it comes to reloading for it, you are probably aware there are several good threads here. Stid has done a bunch of load development but shoots a winny. I've been able to duplicate factory 200gr Accubond loads in my Kimber with 4007 ssc. 2950ish, sub moa 100yd groups consistently. Cannot get close to that with H4350. I'd have to check my notes but my OAL is real close to the lands. One nice thing about the Kimber is that is has a long magazine so you can seat the bullet long if need be.

Hang on to that rascal when you touch one off! With that light barrel/gun the muzzle flip is pretty good, and the gun kind of "torques". I had mine magna-ported and man it made a huge difference. It barely jumps off the bench now and doesn't feel like it wants to twist out of your hands. Mine is scary accurate, no probs feeding. I nice light compact handy package.

Back on topic. Whats the difference between the 8400, 84M, 84L, Montana, etc. I know the Montana has the kevlar stock and some others are wood.

Nice find! I set one of these up for a buddy of mine. He went with the 2.5-8x Leupold and it fit perfectly in low Talley LWs.

I agree on the Zeiss- nice optic, but too big and heavy for a LW rifle (IMHO). I just moved mine to my .257 Wby. and will probably replace it with a 4x Leupold.

I get good results with RL17 in my WSMs.

Snyd,

The 84m the 308 family of cartridges are chambered in it, 84l 06 family of cartridges and 8400 the magnum and wsm family are chambered in it mine would be called 8400wsm on there web site. Does yours have the two or three position safety? alot of guys swear the two position safety made ones were the best ever made??? Who knows... If I have to brake it I will go with a wild west brake, been impressed with those brakes.

3 position safety on mine. 2005, first year for the 325. Funny thing, remember the last election and all the ammo disappeared of the shelves? I went into SW here, all the shelves were empty but there was a nice stack of 325 wsm ammo. It hadn't caught on much. I was already reloading for it so I didn't need any ammo, but, if I did I wouldn't have been out of luck like the 338 and 30-06 guys

I don't think you'll need to put a brake on it. Mine has less felt recoil than my old wood/blue Ruger M77 tang safety 30-06 shooting 180's. And that before the magnaport. Combo of the stock and pachmeyer deacclerator I suspect. I went with the magnaport cuz I did NOT want a brake, just wanted to tame the muzzle flip. It worked.

Let us know how she shoots once you get 'er dialed in.

Talleys are definealty the way to go. I started out with Kimber bases and leoupold rings. After the first hunt I went with the Talleys. I've never had an issue and I've packed this gun in the sheep mtns now for 6 year, had it rattling around on the 4-wheeler moose hunting ,etc. Here's a couple pics of before and after with the Talleys.

I always thought that the 325 WSM would be a good round for most animals up in alaska. If you hand load you could load 160 Barnes TTSX and if you can get the book speeds is would be moving around 3300. Thats smoking and would be a great sheeo round with the light weight rifle. With a 200 yard zero it would be 5.5 low at 300 and 16.2 at 400 while only being a inch high at hundred yards according to the charts. It would push the 200 grain TSX to around 2850 or so. It would be a moose killing machine.
    I would get one if I didn't have a 338-06 and a 280 AI. But for the one gun does most i dont think it can be beat.

Awesome price, congratulations. They are awesome guns.

Snyd,

I lucked out the previous owner left the talley's on it as well they look just like yours I bought a scope today brand new leupold vxii 2x7 matte blue almost went with a 3x9 but I have 4 other 2x7 so I'm a little biased I might head to birchwood tomorrow but it's raining and roads probably be crappy tomorrow. Mine is 3 position as well, I think the 84m when they first came out were the two position ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Mine is 3 position as well, I think the 84m when they first came out were the two position ones.
    Yes, the early 84Ms were two position- I had a couple. I've never seen an 8400 with a 2-position but I believe the 8400 series was released at the same time the 3-position safety was.

Oops my talley's are the one piece talleys that include the rings.

Oops my talley's are the one piece talleys that include the rings.
    Ya, one piece Talley Lightweights. After having the separate bases and rings and then the Talleys there's no looking back.

swampdonkey, I messed around with 180gr TSX's and just could get them to group in my gun. I think Stid got a good load worked up with 200 tsx's in his winnie. I also crunched numbers and ballistics until I was cross-eyed and could not come up with any good reason to go lighter than the 200gr AB's. It has such a high BC, and launching them at 2950fps I don't loose enough trajectory to make any real world difference. It shoots better than I can, works great on sheep, still have a heavy bullet incase mr griz takes and interest in my on the hike out. I killed a bull at 315yds with the AB, recovered the bullet after busting his spine. weighed 170 grs. I've also got a load for 220gr Gamekings, 2800fps and shoots moa as well, killed a small griz with that one. At this point though, the 200gr AB is my go-to load. It'll work on any game I hunt. If I ever end up going for brownies on Kodiak, I'm think 375+.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Ya, one piece Talley Lightweights. After having the separate bases and rings and then the Talleys there's no looking back.
    Funny, I had the Talleys and went back to the old style Leupolds after the Talleys exploded on me. I loved them up to that point, though!!! Anyway, congrats on the new (to you) .325.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    . It'll work on any game I hunt. If I ever end up going for brownies on Kodiak, I'm think 375+.
    I told my one buddy that I got a 325 he tried gettign me to sell my 375 ultra mag to him... He said I no longer needed, that statement is true but if I ever get drawn for a kodiak bear tag my 416 Rigby will be going with me....

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Funny, I had the Talleys and went back to the old style Leupolds after the Talleys exploded on me. I loved them up to that point, though!!!....

"exploded"?? story? pics? please elaborate. What'd ya do, throw your gun down the mtn??
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Finally got one a slightly used one but paid 875 for it at boondocks... Kimber 8400 Montanan 325 wsm... Had my bud stay there to pull guard duty on it while I drove to the bank for money... Time for a scope I guess leupold will work
    that was a steal! way to go!

i really like my rifle and except for lapping the lugs and tuning the trigger it is "stock". this rifle wants to shoot, and unlike some will

shoot 180's and 165's at nearly the same poi. infact except for benching, it shoots the same place.
    talley's are my favorite light weight mount as well as a fixed 4X leupold. this is a great mountain rifle, and suitable for long range open country work as well.

this is a fine rifle at a very reasonable price ( for the quality ), it compairs favorably with the NULA which is twice the cost.

good luck with your new rifle!
    happy trails.
    jh

I've used Talley's since they appeared with not one single complaint OR problem, they are well made and tolerances are better than most Leupolds - I can't imagine them "exploding" unless they were crossthreaded or ?? On lightweight rifles in "hard" kickin' cartridges I think having 8 / 40 mount screws may be a wise idea too ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast