Thread: Starting a life in Alaska

Default Starting a life in Alaska

Looking to move from Michigan to Alaska. I'm 22 years old and in great physical shape for strenuous work. Graduated with a Bachelors degree and looking to establish myself and make an honest living. I'm a commercial pilot with an instrument rating (Low flight time, 210 hours). I understand it is a lot to ask of someone, but I'm looking for someone willing to take me in for a while and help me get on my feet. Willing to work just about any job. I've included my E-mail address below and look forward to any opportunities available.

Alex Golembiewski
    Sigeppilot@gmail.com

It might help to know what your bachelor's degree is in so people might have an idea what a good fit would be.

I generally shy away from hiring folks that use the nickname 'Brewski'.... heh heh
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

I have a Bachelors of Science in Aviation Flight Science and Administration. (Flight and Business aspects) My ultimate goal is to fly for a cargo or air taxi operation or start up my own later in life after I pay off my student loans. Thanks for the heads-up anchskier!

I am going to go out on a limb and assume that the nickname is more a takeoff of his last name rather than a character trait. I do agree though that more info on education would be helpful. That said a good work ethic can take someone a lot further in AK than most places.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    I generally shy away from hiring folks that use the nickname 'Brewski'.... heh heh
    Are you kidding? That alone is almost enough to let him live in my garage...provided the name is in reference to the great home brews he makes.

Haha Yeah, I'd say I didn't use my best judgement picking my username. The nickname "Brewski" comes from my last name, it's more of a joke than anything...I was president of the College Republicans at my college and one of our new members addressed me as "Mr. GolemBREWSKI", not knowing how to pronounce my last name and it has stuck ever since.

I graduated with a Bachelors of Science in Aviation Flight Science and Administration (Flight and Business aspects). 3.63 GPA. Was President of the College Republicans and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. I'm an avid hunter and spend as much of my time as I can in the woods. I can provide a Resume and personal and professional references at any time. Appreciate all the feedback!

I was trying to be the first to give you a proper welcome to the forums! Since you were president of the 'College Republicans' I'll hire you right now. Pay sucks, living conditions are as good as it gets! Bring your own Brewski's, and some extra for Brian and me!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

All I can say,....
    is that this is one of the most excellent plans I have seen yet,
    MOST notably including an education that applies directly to his vision for the area he wants to explore

Refreshing to see,....you are making your own favor Brewski,

as a solo boat guy, can't help ya with job angles,
    will keep ears open around Kodiak tho, a hearty guy willing to work, is always welcome

PS (post a pic, standing next to some nice MI whitetail or something,
    always a good idea to let folks see who's really behind the keyboard)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

If you don't require much income then your answer is simple. Send your resume to EVERY air taxi in the state. Don't expect to fly right away, but I can virtually guarantee that you'll find employment at one of them in their office.

Posted a pic. Appreciate everything you said and the fact you're going to keep your ears open. Have a great weekend!

Thanks for the welcome! Hey, if you have any jobs to offer I'm definitely interested...I'm always good for a few Brewskis

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    If you don't require much income then your answer is simple. Send your resume to EVERY air taxi in the state. Don't expect to fly right away, but I can virtually guarantee that you'll find employment at one of them in their office.
    I think this is the best advice. This is an outdoor FORUM, nothing wrong with asking here, but LOT's of job search sites that will probably serve you better.