Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: freeze dried meals

Default freeze dried meals

Well, I wanted to correct some bad info I posted. I was bummed at Mt House this Fall and posted that their meals had partially hydrogenated oil. I emailed them and they sent an ingredients list for all their meals. Turns out only the evil lasagna, vegi lasagna and the potato and meat have that oil. So their meals are healthier than I thought. And no one can eat those ones anyway cause they will ruin your spoon with that cement cheese.

Anyway, REI has three other brands in addition to MH which are Mary Janes Farm, natural High and Backpackers pantry. Anyone have experience with these? Most are more expensive than Mt house but it might be worth it for some variety. Years ago I tried a Kung Pow chicken from one of these and it was the bomb.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Your eating a meal that will last indefinately and has a weeks worth of salt intake in each serving and your worried about healthy?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Thumbs down

I finally tossed my last Kung Pow chicken in the trash. It's a bomb alright....
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Everything is good in moderation. A little partially hydrogenated veg oil once and a while on a trip (honestly, how often are you eating Mountain House meals?) isn't going to make a bit of difference.

Well I eat freeze dried hiking all summer and hunting so it's probably quite a bit. you know I don't worry about the sodium as much cause hiking all day and drinking only water can be deadly. If you feel run down from hiking all day it can be low sodium. You need extra salt when exercising.....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Party of 3 and we ate Backpacker's Pantry for 5 days with out any problems.

Seems like I had Backpackers Pantry a few times and they were fine.

Will

I like dryed Caribou, Pilot bread and Jellybeans, if thats consitter'd a dry meal

I tryed Mountain House this Fall with Hunt59 and Akrstbout, they were pretty good, nice n hot, we actually ate a bunch as a sorta smogasbor meal here at the house.....kids liked 'em too.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

If you're really concerned about health, dehydrate your own. It's cheaper, too.

I've tried several, but I seem to keep coming back to MH. I really like the noodles with chicken (or is it chicken with noodles...) and plan to eat that meal at least half the time. I like freeze dried cause they're light, they're hot and they're filling. Being palatable is important; being delicious & healthy is not a concern of mine.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've always liked getting away from getting the entire meal packaged together and being able to control what I am eating. I like food from this supplier: http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/?gc...FWU0QgodvjJb3w. I order a lot of vegetables and then go through and vacuum seal my own meals with a mix of instant rice and the vegetables that I want and usually plan on eating them as burritos or whatever. I like that I can season them how I want, and if I want more of that meat flavor, there are a lot of dehydrated gravy options at the grocery store that work well. They do not ship especially fast though, so order them with plenty of time to spare.

Just in case anyone doesn't know, "partially hydrogenated oil" = soft margarine (or any spreadable vegetable fat), and "fully hydrogenated oil" = butter, lard, grease (or any hardened fat). Generally, fat that's liquid at room temperature is unsaturated, fat that's solid is saturated. When doctors say that saturated fat is bad for you, they're primarily talking to a sedentary population.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I was bummed at Mt House this Fall and posted that their meals had partially hydrogenated oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    you know I don't worry about the sodium as much cause hiking all day and drinking only water can be deadly. If you feel run down from hiking all day it can be low sodium. You need extra salt when exercising.....
    Honestly Sollybug, any two nutritionists you ask will have at least three different opinions, but if you do more research you'll probably find that sodium is the bigger evil of the two. Outside of desert environments, very few people really need any extra salt. The bottom line is that if you're getting enough exercise to use up the extra sodium, then you're also getting enough exercise to burn up the margarine in the meal. The risk comes when eating it as part of a sedentary lifestyle.

(Besides, IMHO eating refined starches instead of whole grains seems like a much bigger risk than either fat or salt.)
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I like dryed Caribou, Pilot bread and Jellybeans, if thats consitter'd a dry meal
    Guess it kinda depends on what ya do with them jellybeans, stranger!
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

You should take a look at hawk vittles. www.hawkvittles.com Dehydrated meals with less sodium than mountain house.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Just in case anyone doesn't know, "partially hydrogenated oil" = soft margarine (or any spreadable vegetable fat), and "fully hydrogenated oil" = butter, lard, grease (or any hardened fat). Generally, fat that's liquid at room temperature is unsaturated, fat that's solid is saturated. When doctors say that saturated fat is bad for you, they're primarily talking to a sedentary population.

Honestly Sollybug, any two nutritionists you ask will have at least three different opinions, but if you do more research you'll probably find that sodium is the bigger evil of the two. Outside of desert environments, very few people really need any extra salt. The bottom line is that if you're getting enough exercise to use up the extra sodium, then you're also getting enough exercise to burn up the margarine in the meal. The risk comes when eating it as part of a sedentary lifestyle.

(Besides, IMHO eating refined starches instead of whole grains seems like a much bigger risk than either fat or salt.)
    I got dealt a raw deal on the bad cholesterol gene so I have to watch those foods high in cholesterol/hydrogenated amounts. With Mountain House it was one of the first items I read on the label.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Guess it kinda depends on what ya do with them jellybeans, stranger!

I pack my cheeks with them Jellybeans, Jaw a jacking, drippin' juicy spittle like a ballplayers wad of chew of some wretch'd tobbackee and do my best Ronald Reagan Cowboy with a Dead deers antlers in his clutches to the camera....."Daaaat's a Goooooood Buck!"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Not exactly freeze dried, but smoked Copper River Reds and Kodiak Deer Jerky makes a fine meal even more so with views from the Brooks Range!

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

1Cor15:10 - agree, I love the chicken and noodles from Mtn house. Add extra water for a non plugging meal and plenty of tasty broth.

dreamerof dreams - agree with the dehydrate your own. Especially for those with concerns about the weights of your packs.

Stid2677 - Love the use of the local game meats and photos.

My camp basics always includes oatmeal and hot chocolate. These can be carried in bulk at a fraction of the costs of those little packages. We also try to bring the sourdough to make those tasty pancakes.

When it comes to dehydrated foods, determining the best seems akin to deciding which side of the cardboard is the tastiest. Mountain house has a strong on the shelf presence ... so usually have mountain house. I've also tried and like Mary James Farms products (seemed to have less preservatives) but haven't yet had the Backpacker's pantrys or Hawk Vittles. When using the dehydrated foods, I'll cook some onion, carrots, peppers, or other veggies (or local edibles) and add them to them to the meals.

When camping/hunting, I'll make a batch of food at the house ... say lasagna, freeze the left overs in smaller portions and take them with us. It is easy to reheat or can be eaten when thawed when impatient. When the parents/friends come up to visit from the states, I have them pick their gardens of their fresh vegetables/fruits.

Combine the fruits/veggies with some starch rice (or potatoes if weight isn't an issue), and game meats .... one can eat quite well (better than restaurants as exemplified by Stid's numerous photos) while honing their field skills. While no expert in the local edibles, the contributions of fiddle head ferns and mushrooms are great finds and contribute to the meal and experience. I look forward to packing lighter and eating more local delicacies.

I'm a big fan of taking the mountain house and adding some instant spuds to the mix. It makes the meal a lot more filling, and tastes good too.

Is it good for you? No, but it's not like I'm eating every week of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    I like dryed Caribou, Pilot bread .
    Yum put some indian steaks (balonga) on pilot bread and man you have the ultimate meal!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast