Thread: Nelchina Caribou Update

Default Nelchina Caribou Update

Some of you guys might be interested, so figured I'd share how my caribou turned out...

440 4/8

Not bad for a single shovel!!!

CONGRATS! Thanks for the update. Thats one amazing bou...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Wow! Nice. To think, that thing walked right past the lodge! Congrats again!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Wow, what a score ! That sure is pleasing to the eye to look upon, like a piece of art.

It's like artistic painted flames. Awesome rack!

I know it's AOD incorrect to be a trophy hunter and all.............but those things are awesome! So how does 440 rank in the B&C book?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks guys, it truly is an amazing Caribou that I am blessed and lucky to have been a part of. I am still in awe every time I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    It's like artistic painted flames. Awesome rack!
    Ya know, thats one of the first things I thought when I saw him on the ground, the appearance of flames licking up from the earth. He may not be the biggest Caribou ever, but it would be hard to argue that he's not one of the prettiest.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I know it's AOD incorrect to be a trophy hunter and all.............but those things are awesome! So how does 440 rank in the B&C book?
    Not quite sure exactly where it will rank, but I am figuring somewhere around #100 all time. Pretty amazing when one considers the thousands upon thousands, if not millions of Caribou killed over the last 100 years.

I know of a non resident that entered one last year at 434. According to the Boone and Crockett site, it ranked #113 all time, and was the third largest Caribou taken (or entered) over the past 10 years. I figure if mine had a matching double shovel, and a few more inches here and there, it would have been competing for the World Record, which currently stands at 477.

Mine was 449 1/8 Gross. 440 4/8 Net.

Now that the scoring is done, time to start thinking how I want to mount him. Was thinking Pedestal mount...any ideas or suggestions?
    Once again, thanks guys, I am by no means a trophy hunter, but this has been a truly humbling and honoring experience.

A real pedestal would require a large space and be more$$$. I like wall pedestal mounts. If there is one for Bou? Who's doing the taxi?

Yep, that is one awesome 'bou. Makes you wonder how many of that size that run around and are just never seen.

Congrats! That is one heck of a caribou!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    A real pedestal would require a large space and be more$$$. I like wall pedestal mounts. If there is one for Bou? Who's doing the taxi?
    Not sure who's doing the taxi work yet, although the potential list is very small. Joe Romero is on the list, but if anybody else has any suggestions, I am all ears....

WOWZERS!! nice bou!!

I like the pedestal mount idea. That's what I'd like to do if I ever bring home a great big bou.

Holy cow, nice animal. Great job! Pedestal would make it front and center, shoulder pedestal is great for the wall.

Congrats.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Not sure who's doing the taxi work yet, although the potential list is very small. Joe Romero is on the list, but if anybody else has any suggestions, I am all ears....
    Knights, in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Dan Williams of Wildlife Artistry. Hands down. He wins awards ALL Over the country for his work, and I believe he also does some of Knights work as well. He's located off of Buffalo Mine Rd just North of Palmer.
    907-746-3922

please push the photos of this bull to the top....

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    A few people on here are trophy hunters but will not admit to it........ The sorta go like this when the subject comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    please push the photos of this bull to the top....
    Here ya go man, I know i've already shown em before, but here's another look for ya.

Ok, I couldn't help myself. I went and picked up the Boone and Crockett record book. This Caribou will rank #57 all time, and is the largest Caribou killed in Alaska since 1999, which happened to be the World Record.