Thread: LED Power Flares

Default LED Power Flares

http://www.powerflare.com/

After reading the Thread on Handheld VHF radios, it got me thinking emergency again. I came across these 2 years ago and got my company to buy a bunch. I use them on the Tarmac for directing visiting aircraft where to park. Saves a lot of chatter on the radio to common sense challanged pilots. We use them also on the Ice Roads in the winter time since we can't use real flares. These things are great. We use the lithium battery ones instead of the rechargables as they last several days even in the winter on a single battery and instead of waiting for a charge, you just change the battery. They are virtually indestructable, submersable, and you can put a magnet on them. I have some personall ones. You can slap one on the back of a trailer if you loose your lights. I plan on using one as an anchor light instead of leaving my power on. They are extremely bright and they have numerous light patterns to select from with the push of a button. They come in several light colors as well. They were so well liked at work, each employee where I work recieved one as a safety gift recently to bring home and put in their vehicle. Not sure if you guys have seen them before, but they are getting popular.

Very interesting. Might have to look into a couple of those.
    BOATLESS for now......
    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    MMSI#

I wonder if they're CG certified? I'm sick of throwing perfectly good flares away because they're outdated.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Fullbush, I sent them an email to ask the question. Yes I agree it would solve a serious problem of continual expiration of flares. Reguaradless if they are or not, I will carry a few for the mear fact they last so long for one charge or battery. Like I mentioned, I use them for work and they are the cats meow!!!

Im pretty sure they won't be CG legal because I'm certain there are some kick backs coming from the safety industry. All these new rules, EPIRBS, life rafts, expiring flares... It's all a racket

I'm taking a poll

Here is the reply I just got back.

Hi Mark,

I visited with the Coast Guard at their Headquarters in DC a couple of years ago and they said they liked the PowerFlares, but said it would take a tremendous and costly effort to make a change from their currently designated flares to an electronic flare.

They said they had no objection to us selling PowerFlares to boaters, but the their flare requirement would stay in tact, so PowerFlares would be supplemental. They indicated it would be a good idea to promote the White LEDs products.

Are you in the Coast Guard Auxiliary? We sell a Red/Amber LED unit for auxiliary member use.

Sincerely,

John Dunning
    President
    PF Distribution Center, Inc.
    6475 Camden Avenue
    San Jose, CA 95120
    T: 408-323-2370
    F: 408-268-5431
    M: 408-728-1703
    john@pfdistributioncenter.com
    www.pfdistributioncenter.com

I can see using the PowerFlares as supplemental instead of replacing flares. If I had to grab one or the other in an emergency, I'd grab a real flare because I'd have more confidence in a flare vs. something that runs off a battery. Also, during daylight I can't imagine that an electronic flare would be as visible as a real flare.

Just a short FYI, if you have expired flares and keep them on the boat you are subject to fines unless you mark the flares "for training purposes only". I found this out when I had my courtesy CG safety inspection.
    I like the LED flare idea but if they're not CG endorsed then they're dead weight on my boat.

I'm taking a poll

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I visited with the Coast Guard ... they said they liked the PowerFlares, but said it would take a tremendous and costly effort to make a change from their currently designated flares to an electronic flare.
    Hogwash!!! Typical governmental self-regulating agency blow off. It wouldn't cost the CG a penny to allow the boating public to buy a device that is considerably better than pyro flares.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    If I had to grab one or the other in an emergency, I'd grab a real flare because I'd have more confidence in a flare vs. something that runs off a battery. Also, during daylight I can't imagine that an electronic flare would be as visible as a real flare.
    Not even. I'd take the electric "flare" over a pyro flare any day. They are brighter than a pyro flare, even in daylight. They last much longer than a pyro flare (compare the one-minute burn life of a pyro flare to the dozens of hours an electric flare will run on a battery). Pyro flares most certainly do fail. Store them improperly or submerge them for awhile.

Lithium batteries have a minimum of a 10-year shelf life. Find me a pyro flare that will store longer than about 2-3 years. Now add up how much $$ you'll waste over the next 10 years on replacing pyro flares compared to the $50 for the electronic flare with a 10-year battery on board (and then replacing the $3 battery every decade). It's a "no brainer".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I agree with you Joat, I can't imagine any cost to the Government except possible kickbacks like Fullbush stated. Its a power trip old school refusal to roll with the times and technology vs expiring gear that will have to be replaced frequently and pad someones pocket. You have red for night, green for day and the white one is extremely bright also along with many other colors. You can change up the pattern to attract attention. Put it up high and let it run all day or night if need be instead trying to pick the right time to use a short time use flare and hope someone sees it. Carry a few batteries and you have a continual beacon for weeks or months. Let your flares get wet and your screwed. This think is virtually indestructable. Like fullbush implied, its all a money game.

Did they say you need to mark each and every flare or can you put them in a plastic bag and label the bag "for training purposes only". I keep my expired flares in a separate location from the good ones.

I've been boarded 3 times. Each time I had my expired flares rubber banded together and my current flares were loose. All were in my ditch box. No problem passing inspection. Maybe it all depends on who does the inspection. Seems stupid to fine someone for carrying expired flares along with the good ones. The point should be that you have at least the correct number of unexpired ones.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Maybe it all depends on who does the inspection. Seems stupid to fine someone for carrying expired flares along with the good ones. The point should be that you have at least the correct number of unexpired ones.
    Yeah it may have been an overzealous safety inspector. I could see the point of marking them in case you're in an emergency and you grab a dud, but a fine is stretching it.

I'm taking a poll