Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Ride to Alpine Creek

Default Forum Ride to Alpine Creek

Let's do it! Let's do an AOD Forum Ride.
    A lot of us have been there before and know the hospitality is great and the views are awesome, and the riding ain't bad either! I've been there a bunch and usually go several times each winter. Hopefully we can get a few folks that haven't been before or at least not in winter. If we hit it on a clear day the views on the ride in are incredible!

For the uninitiated, denalihunter's sort of an irascible cuss and a babbling Seahawks fan on Sunday's but we ought'n hold that against him.

I suggest we let Claude chime in with a couple of recommended weekends since he knows what the lodge bookings are and we'll pick one. I would suggest further once we have a date that we pay our deposits directly to the lodge.
    Once the last space is reserved Claude can post here that he's full up.

So ride what you've got (so long as it's reliable) and once we're locked in to a date we can figure out who's riding up with who, trailer space etc., etc.

Who's in for a good time??
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

That is a great idea. Sounds like it could be a heck of a good time too.

I'm interested in additional info... I'm down on the Kenai and never rode up in that area. Where would we be riding from/to so I can start surfing google earth?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Default Denali Highway forum ride!

Great idea Erik! Now this would be fun. We could combine the ride with maybe folks that want to do some bird hunting or predator hunting. Of course, there's always the popular 'Bob's trapline tour' where Bob will let you go along while he checks his traps. There is a lot of great riding, from mountains to trails, or both.

As far as babbling Seahawks fan, I was one last night as the Hawks crushed the Eaglets. Now if we can just make into the playoffs again with a losing record!

I digress.. okay, back to the ride. We meet in Cantwell. Directions are, drive North on the Parks Highway until Cantwell. (if coming from Anchorage), then take a right on the Denali Highway. Drive down 3 miles until you get to a wide spot in the road, just where the plowing stops. I have trucks, trailers and machines parked there all winter. Unload there, and we'll ride the 65 miles to the lodge together, watching out for each other and helping pull Erik out when he gets stuck repeatedly.... Once arriving at the lodge, we'll have dinner and discuss the ride for the next day. Riding up over Windy Creek, into Valdez Creek and the Clearwater is amazing. You can stick to the valleys if your not a mountain rider, which is where I will be with my Bearcat. We always see a lot of fox, wolverine and wolves up there. Bird hunting is closed on our side the Susitna River, but it is open for most of the ride in and out to Cantwell.

The details: The drive from Anchorage to Cantwell is 4 to 5 hours. Driving from Fairbanks to Cantwell is 2 to 3 hours. We usually like to leave Cantwell around 1pm to 2pm via snow machine. For me by myself, the trip takes under 2 hours. When we have a group, it usually takes 3 to 4 hours. We'll be greeted with a hot fire, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. Usually folks hang around and relax the first night at the lodge. We have a couple of lounge area's with tv's and every channel, including all football games. We also have wifi internet throughout the lodge, which is free. We'll make plans for our full day of riding out there that evening.

The first full day of riding, we'll figure out where we are going and head out. We'll pack a full lunch and plan on riding as long as folks want to. Usually 6 to 8 hours at least. Then back to the lodge for R&R. The next morning, we'll get ready to head home. Usually leaving the lodge by 10am gets folks home in Anchorage at a decent hour.

I do have fuel available for $6.00 a gallon. Your welcome to bring all the fuel you want, but we do have it available if you need it. You can also bring any alcohol you would like.

So, it's two nights, usually a Friday and Saturday night. Of course, if you can only do one night, we can watch for you coming in and go look for you if we don't see you in 3 hours from leaving Cantwell.

For lodging, everything is provided. You have a choice of a twin bed (two beds in bunk style per room) or full size with twin on top, or you can upgrade to our suites, which is a queen bed, table, pull out couch, etc. There is also the trappers cabin, that big groups rent out sometimes just to use as a private bar.

Kids 12 and under are free. Kids 13 to 17 are half price.

Of course, you gety our normal AOD 10% discount, plus I'll add another 5% discount for a group. If we get to 15 guests in a group, we lock the lodge and consider it fully booked. You can add as many as you want in your group, but there will be no guests allowed outside of the group.

We require a 50% non-refundable deposit, but if you can't make it for some reason, we'll hold your reservation for anytime in the future that you can make it, summer or winter.

We have several open weekends in January, and some in February, but March is filling up fast. If we need a three day weekend, we might consider MLK weekend.

Per person, for two nights of lodging is $127.50 plus tax total. ($63.75 per night) Tax is 5%. I know you can't even eat 3 meals a day in Anchorage cheapter than that! I've tried... There are no hidden costs, other than fuel. Figure if you don't bring any with you approximately 4 to 9 gallons each way on the ride in, double it for the ride out, then about the same for the day of riding. So 15 to 30 gallons for the weekend. You can do the math from there.

I do have a couple of machines that I can rent out that are sitting in Cantwell. Our normal rate is $150 per day, but for this deal, I'll do it for $100 per day, but you'll have to buy the fuel, or bring your own.

We can sit around and bad mouth Brian M for fun! heh heh. Or better yet, he comes along and we can do it in person! We enjoy when Brian comes out, so hopfully he'll find some time!

For the forum police, I understand I can post this type of stuff since I'm a long time forum sponsor on here. If not, let me know!

Looking forward to some feedback!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post

We can sit around and bad mouth Brian M for fun! heh heh. Or better yet, he comes along and we can do it in person! We enjoy when Brian comes out, so hopfully he'll find some time!
    Awesome! I'd love to sit around and badmouth that guy.

I'll be up there for the President's Day weekend (Feb 18th-20th), but could possibly work in another weekend as well. Sounds like a cool idea.

I'm in. Just tell me the weekend

I'm in too. Plus the whole family; wife, two kids and me.

Can't wait for this weekend to come!! It is always fun times when people from the forum come out! akjeff, Bob will be supper excited to know that even kids are coming!
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

I'd be down for a ride in with you guys. Thought I'd probably do the 'round trip back to Cantwell the same day to scoop up any critters left in our wake.

I am interested, drove by there several times the past few years. Been wanting to go check it out, but can't get the guys I ride with to commit, and I hate to go that far by myself.

Sounds like a fun ride. My wife and I are interested if the dates work out.

I'm in. I did this ride last year with the Anchorage Snowmobile Club and had a great time. I hope this warm air/rain/wind storm currently ravaging Anchorage doesn't mess up conditions out on the Denali Hwy too much!

As of 6pm last night it hadn't messed anything up at all. It snowed the entire trip in and back out for us. It probably snowed close to a foot in some sections of the trail over the day. Rained all night here in Talkeetna, though, but it's changed back to snow now.

We need to book a date so that we can get a plan rolling

Default Dates Set! Denali Highway Ride.

Ride Details:

Saturday, January 14th Meet in Cantwell at 2pm where the pavement and plowing ends going East from Cantwell.

Sunday, January 15th. Day of riding! Windy Creek, Valdez Creek, and/or the upper and lower Clearwater.

Monday, January 16th. (MLK Day), Leave lodge at 10am. Arrive Cantwell at noon.

I have been corrected on travel times from Anchorage. Folks have been telling me 2.5 to 3.5 hours from Anchorage to Cantwell. They must drive faster than I do.

Price is Per person, for two nights of lodging is $127.50 plus tax total. ($63.75 per night) Tax is 5%. To get your spot and hold it, call Jennifer at 907-743-0565. The 50% deposit is non-refundable, but transferable to anytime in the future, summer or winter.

I am assuming that most people have the Monday off that have regualar jobs. If I am incorrect, it can be moved to Friday. But as it stands, this schedule should work. Post on here if Friday is better.

You are welcome to come earlier or later. If you are to be traveling alone, just call before you leave Cantwell so we can send a search party if we don't see you in 3 hours. Of course, bring all of your emergency gear that you may need, including a tow rope if you don't already have one on your sled.

Looking forward to an outstanding weekend! Just got another foot or two of snow, so the riding is going to be incredible. Don't worry if you only have trail sleds. This is not like riding Turnagain! We have the mountains if you choose to, but you don't have to, and we don't leave anyone on the rides. We always travel at the slowest person's pace. For the fast guys, it gives you time to be playing off trail all the time.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Folks have been telling me 2.5 to 3.5 hours from Anchorage to Cantwell. They must drive faster than I do.
    They are hauling ass if they are making it in under 4 hours. It's a solid 1:45 just from Sunshine and 1:45 from Anchorage to Sunshine. That's in perfect road conditions without the standard stop at Sunshine for coffee and snacks. Folks need to remember that the Chevron in Cantwell burned down last night and there is no quick stop type place in Cantwell with the long hours Chevron had. Load up on your snacks and coffee at Sunshine, Trapper Creek Inn, or Trapper Creek Trading post.

I am going to call Jen and make reservations, we will likely come up on Friday night. Sounds like fun.

Sounds like a ball for sure. And I am actually not working when someone plans something like this. We'll have to see if my bride and I can make it.

I agree with Doug. In my foolish youth I made it from Anc Intn'l Airport to Denali Hwy in 2.5 hours, but no way I'd do it ever again at that speed being much older and wiser.

Plus, it's expensive if you get caught

I'll have to run this past the wife but we might be able to go..........99% of my sled time is solo, might be nice to ride with a group for a change.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

In my foolish youth....
    Last weekend? You old fart you.... <grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Last weekend? You old fart you.... <grin>
    HAHA...nah quite this was more like 10 years ago....I was cruising to get my newly received license revoked.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast