Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who like to carry loaded firearms

Default For those who like to carry loaded firearms

Don't know if this was posted already; don't read here much anymore. Either way....
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...221644169.html

thats brutal.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

"I don't know if the safety device was on. It's not impossible the dog could have taken it off safety."

(1) No way the safety was on (the guy's just embarrassed to admit that; the dog didn't take the safety off); (2) the guy violated the rule about walking to where the bore was pointing; and (3) that was really unlucky that the dog somehow pulled the trigger.

And (4) That dog is lucky to still be alive!!!

How do we really know this was an accident??? What do we know about said dogs background??? Maybe it was payback for that trip to the Vet just to get a checkup in which this poor pooch returned from Beanless. Since he proved he could use the gun, maybe he was also hitting the hooch and was hungover and didn't want to get out the warm boat!!!!

Let this serve as a warning to treat your best friend better.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sounds like payback to me, for all those cold morning dips. However I do believe a lab could press the safety off on my 870 Remington were the gun laying in the right apposition;it would be a simple straight push. Then a toe to the trigger would discharge the firearm.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

As Hunters, I'd bet most of us would agree,....

"Those animals are a fair bit smarter than we tend to give them credit for,.....?"

I'm with Stid, thinking there's probably more to that dog than just too much enthusiasim

pretty merciful dog if you ask me, pellets to the buttocks,...
    That's just, effectively "sending a message"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I think the fact that he left a round IN THE CHAMBER then put himself in front of the muzzle explains much. Then add a dog clambering around a boat, stepping on the trigger, and BLAMM ! He is lucky only his a-s-s and his pride are injured.

Keep the chamber empty until you are ready to shoot.

As Red Foreman liked to opine, " DUMBA-SS !"

Probably stems from its childhood. Perhaps the pup was weened prematurely and blames his owner.

I bet fido was undercover - likely a PETA spy....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

A friend in Washington said this was on the news and was at the Bear River Refuge. Apparently the guy was only 10' away. I can easily see how the dog's toe nail could have pushed the safety off. Like was mentioned above: Keep the chamber empty till it's show time. Simple. Who gives a flying F if you MIGHT miss a shot at a duck because you weren't hot 100% of the time? Being neutered by your own gun has a rather ugly sound to it.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    As Red Foreman liked to opine, " DUMBA-SS !"
    I think a more apt word would be "NUMBA-SS" for this instance....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I'm with STID on this one...perhaps it was payback for the last time he took the dog in to get her anal glands expressed.

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    A friend in Washington said this was on the news and was at the Bear River Refuge. Apparently the guy was only 10' away. I can easily see how the dog's toe nail could have pushed the safety off. Like was mentioned above: Keep the chamber empty till it's show time. Simple. Who gives a flying F if you MIGHT miss a shot at a duck because you weren't hot 100% of the time? Being neutered by your own gun has a rather ugly sound to it.

I leave one in the chamber when I'm duck hunting. That's because THE GUN IS WITH ME!! Ducks are fast. Was he planning on running through the water to get his gun and hopefully a passing shot? Not happening. That's how you float your hat.

Dogs can, and will, take the safety off. All in one step. Depends on the gun, though. If the safety is in the trigger guard, it's too easy. They step on the safety and put it to fire, then pull the trigger as they step. Only rookie waterfowlers (read: idiots) do that. Most people know about this possibility and don't leave guns where dogs will walk, period; much less, loaded.

Here is the "victim's" post on his "accident" over on the Duck Hunters Refuge forum. Photos of the decoy that may have saved his life are also posted.

At least it is steel shot... Good lesson to have reiterated and thankfully he didn't catch one in the stones! I caught a bunny a few years ago running out toward the limit of my shotguns effective range. Only lead shot we found in it was two 7 1/2 pellets in its scrotum. That is the one animal I have taken over the years that I truly felt bad for!

Ahhhhhh, the real problem comes out...

He was duck hunting with a double barrel, what a ******.

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    Being neutered by your own gun has a rather ugly sound to it.
    Or an appropriate ring to it, depending on your perspective.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

This is a repeat of a story told in Ray Tremblay's book On Patrol which took place in either the 40s or 50s in Fairbanks. In that story a man had shot his retriever for disobedience, but later took the dog hunting and the dog got all excited in the back of the truck and shot his owner.

After reading his post from the attachment in post 15 he will have a ****** of a time getting through airport security for outta state hunts.
    I am just happy everything turned out ok for this gent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast