Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VHF Floating handheld

Default VHF Floating handheld

The wife is wanting to get me a couple of handheld radios for the boat and survival kit. The more I look the more confused I get. I was looking at the Cobra floating one. I would like to have the floating one as I have dropped many a phones and other things in the Talkeetna I wish would of been made of floating material Is there really that much of a difference in them ? Or what should I be looking for in one.

Roger
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

The Floating models, shouldn't be hard to find in all brands these days,
    But assuming you are asking about quality of build,

I have always gone with ICOM, and really believe your radios are one area worth "skipping the bargain mentality" as there are some tempting "cheap " ones out there,.....

It can hit your pocketbook pretty good, especially if they are just for your safety kit

but all the more reason to not go with the cheaper ones right?

ICOM or Furuno, would be my suggestion
    pretty sure there is a reason those others are so much less
    and don't want to even wonder a little bit about the solid state of my VHF
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks, And yes I was asking about quality.It might be a couple hundred bucks. But I think I'm worth it My wifes insurance policy on me might disagree LOL

+1 for ICOM, very light and long battery life.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Icon is Top of the Line, and Uniden makes a good one also. I suggest to get one with a chargable battery with both AC/DC charger with the capability to use AA batteries as a backup. A small GPS is also nice to have along with it in your ditch bag.

http://www.tigergps.com/unidenmhs550...temPageReviews This is not the Uniden I have, but I am thinking about it as you talk to both boats and aircraft. Read the reviews

Well at least someone (you) thinks your worth it, LOL. You know my thought being cheap now will cost ya if it becomes a life saving deal. I did that once a long time ago, never again. Mine in my Emergency Dry Box is a Hummingbird other one is a Standard, but Icom is a quality unit.

I have the Uniden MHS350, included spare battery (long battery life btw), a/c charger and d/c charger, been very happy with it so far. I have not had to rely on it any emergency situation but I have been impressed with its ability to pickup the WX broadcast in places I thought it would not. Whether it floats or not has not been tested, judging by its weight to size my guess is no and the manual does not claim it will float. The wrist strap is of ample size to get my large fist through with ease and I am OK with that and it being submersible. While not exactly the type you may be considering, the brand is worth consideration IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    http://www.tigergps.com/unidenmhs550...temPageReviews This is not the Uniden I have, but I am thinking about it as you talk to both boats and aircraft. Read the reviews
    I have this radio with West Marine's name on it, be aware it is recieve only for the avionics side. Listening to aircraft chatter has little value IMO.
    I mistakenly thought I would be able to transmit on the aircraft frequency when I bought it.
    Still its a good unit, just dont plan to contact any aircraft for a rescue.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have this radio with West Marine's name on it, be aware it is recieve only for the avionics side. Listening to aircraft chatter has little value IMO.
    I mistakenly thought I would be able to transmit on the aircraft frequency when I bought it.

When I was on Kodiak last month I talked to both Seahawk and Andrews Air on channel 14 marine.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Well at least someone (you) thinks your worth it, LOL. You know my thought being cheap now will cost ya if it becomes a life saving deal. I did that once a long time ago, never again. Mine in my Emergency Dry Box is a Hummingbird other one is a Standard, but Icom is a quality unit.
    But you just have to remember to put fresh batteries in yours. LOL!!!!!(Inside joke)

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    When I was on Kodiak last month I talked to both Seahawk and Andrews Air on channel 14 marine.
    Thats a good tip, I didnt think about some of the charter outfits monitoring the marine bands.
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Gramps, Thats good to know as I was put it on my buy list for the aircraft feature. Talking to aircraft in an emergency would be awesome. Thanks

Anything with ICOM on it .
    Check prices at www.boemarine.com

I have sailed and also been an Amateur Radio guy for a while as well. I think that Icom is also an admirable, high quality Radio, but there are others that are just as good and possibly cheaper. Look up Yaesu, and Kenwood. Make some comparisons, you might be mildly surprised.

God Bless

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Gramps, Thats good to know as I was put it on my buy list for the aircraft feature. Talking to aircraft in an emergency would be awesome. Thanks
    That was my thoughts, the other problem with the radio that I forget about is the antenna. Since most of my boating is in the interior I dont have a stationary VHS radio mounted in the boat. I take the handheld when we make our yearly trip to Homer, my thoughts were to attach a bigger antenna to my rack to increase its range as there are times in K-Bay and Lower CI when the Handheld is not good enough to get updated weather info.
    However this particular handheld, because of the various frequecies has a non-typical antenna connection and I cannot connect a taller external antenna to the radio........
    TR

I picked up the ICOM M34 last year and was pretty happy with it. You bring up a valid point about the antenna issue, however. In Halibut Cove, I could not get a weather report until we got out into the bay with a line of sight to the spit. Sounds trivial, but if you got weathered in, a guy could burn a lot of gas going back and forth multiple times a day from a spot like this.

I ended up buying 2 Icom Ic-M24's the Float'N Flash.Bought 2 for $260 free shipping

good choice, i have used the ICOMs for work and once i dropped one in the ocean and couldnt find it. well 6 months later the lodge owner beside us was out and found it. he recognized the name on it. it still worked as he even hailed us with it. thats a good radio.

Seems like a great deal there, mind if I ask where you found those for that price, and free shipping?

Good move on the Icom's
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Seems like a great deal there, mind if I ask where you found those for that price, and free shipping?

Good move on the Icom's
    I only shop 1 place if I can EBAY That way I never have to go to town. The guy had 10 listed but they sold out in 2 days at 129 but here are some more for $147 free shipping
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Icom-M24-Han...item2c5f67562b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast