Thread: Skandic Belt???

Question Skandic Belt???

Got a midnight call for help the other day when it was 5F outside. Three teenage boys had blown a belt on a 2007 Skidoo Skandic and had spent the last 90 minutes trying to replace it. I was able to get to them in about 15 minutes and 30 seconds later they had a belt on. I am not a Skidoo guy, so I was a little puzzled by the "bolt" they had that spread the clutch apart.

Tonight, I was over at their house and had them bring the sled into the garage and break out the bolt/tool. I was given an original, and the one they "modified" the night the belt broke. This tool is a bolt about 1/4 inch diameter, with a hinged T to make it twist on easier. The T is about 1 inch long on one side and 2 inch long on the other side. There is NO WAY I could get this "screwed" into the hole as the tranny box is in the way. The T had to be cut down to 1 inch on both sides, then they used pliers on it to twist the clutch apart. Is there some sort of "trick" to get this to work? The only option I could tell would be to unbolt the tranny and slide it out of the way...but that doesn't seem right.

I confess, the bos spent most of the time trying to modify this tool to make it work. they had the clutch spread when I got there...all I did was slip it on.

Any recommendations are appreciated...the last belt lasted 6,000 miles, so I hope this one does as well:proud:
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

You don't really need the bolt as you can rotate and spread the secondary just like you would on a Polaris, but it's kind of a pain. The bolt is metric thread and you can simply find a bolt with the right threads and use that with a socket wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You don't really need the bolt as you can rotate and spread the secondary just like you would on a Polaris, but it's kind of a pain. The bolt is metric thread and you can simply find a bolt with the right threads and use that with a socket wrench.
    That is a real DUH answers...why didn't I think of that??? Thanks, it makes perfect sense.

I am use to Arctic cats, where I just grab the inside of the clutch in one hand and the outide in the other..than rotate in opposite directions. This didn't seem possible on the Skidoo, but I didn't trry hard. Is that what you do with the Polaris?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I think that any machine with the push button reverse - the motor runs backwards - requires a bolt like you describe to spread the clutch apart to get the belt off.

I'm pretty sure the Skandics are still geared reverse, but I could be wrong on that model. Anyhow, the Skidoo's have been coming with that tool since the 90's at least. If you don't have the bolt you can spin the clutch just like on a Cat or Polaris, but I got a tip from the local Cat dealer today. He says to get room to get a grip, remove the airbox.

I went to the local Skidoo shop and talked with the Service Department guy. He was like a deer in the headlights, had never heard of such a thing. The young guy sweping the floor found a screw of the same diameter/thread pattern and gave it to me to take to AIH. Popped into AIH and found a bolt with the right threads and length...then gave it to the neighbor. Problem solved...thanks AKDOUG!