Thread: Look what I found at Chimos Guns tonight!

Default Look what I found at Chimos Guns tonight!

I have to wait until tomorrow to shoot it, but I can't believe they had one for sale without having to get on a waiting list!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Wow! I wish I had seen it first...lucky for you I live in Ketchikan!

Very nice! Nothing worse than the next day wait! I guess the 6 week wait to get it would be worse

Nice, I have had 2 on order since July and they said maybe 6 months so hopefully I'll see them soon.

Score!!.......

Okay, I don't get it. It's a Ruger 1911 clone yes? Soooo....I don't get it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

LOL! I guess it could be considered a clone of another Ruger 1911. Here is a pic of the first 3 shots, they all hit the same spot. It did this the whole time I was at the range. It even shot better than my Colt 1911.
    Attached Images Attached Images

way to go! mine was on back order at two of my favorite gunshops, when i found one in the display case at a local shop. i grabbed it right away. this is a slick 1911 .45 that for me, shoots with my colt gold cup. what a find. close examination showed a well finished handgun with clean lines, no tool marks, and slick bearing surfaces. i am impressed. now, just to lighten the trigger to 3.5#.

after some searching, i ordered 1m .45's from rimrock bullets in montana and will soon go to work.
    happy trails.
    jh

After the crudeness of the fit and finish on my recent Redhawk purchase I'm somewhat surprised to see that kind of statement about the 1911! Are these made in the same factory by the same people? If so - how can Ruger let the quality vary so much from one product to another?

In any event- congratulations on your recent find! Keep us up to date on how it works out as far as feeding different ammo etc.

And -if you don't mind telling us- what did you have to pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    way to go! mine was on back order at two of my favorite gunshops, when i found one in the display case at a local shop. i grabbed it right away. this is a slick 1911 .45 that for me, shoots with my colt gold cup. what a find. close examination showed a well finished handgun with clean lines, no tool marks, and slick bearing surfaces. i am impressed. now, just to lighten the trigger to 3.5#.

after some searching, i ordered 1m .45's from rimrock bullets in montana and will soon go to work.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    LOL! I guess it could be considered a clone of another Ruger 1911. Here is a pic of the first 3 shots, they all hit the same spot. It did this the whole time I was at the range. It even shot better than my Colt 1911.
    Wow! That is something right there. Good shooting too. I can see why you'd be really happy. I wish one of mine would make bugholes.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

As far as the ammo went, I was shooting handloads last night. My first batch was jacketed RN over 5gn of Bullseye. It had no problems what so ever with them. THe second batch was some left over Jacketed FP that I had loaded previously. My Colt and Kimber had problems feeding with them. The Ruger also didn't like them. I don't think it's the guns that had the problem, I think I seated them wrong. I am just going to pull the bullets and start over on this batch. I gotta figure out what mistake I made with the FP and why they are not seated right.

As far as cost it came out to $711, it was originally $698, but you gotta add the tax.

the first few @ sw were sold immediately - saw a ruger 1911 @ ak tactical today (saturday, 12/3/2011) for $750, should have grabbed it...
    neighbor has one, it rips 200 swc's @ 900 fps into one hole @ 25 yards !

My friend was buying a gun for his wife at matsu tactical and saw that one go to somebody. It's nice to see they are starting to show up on gun counters.

[QUOTE=tvfinak;1045483]After the crudeness of the fit and finish on my recent Redhawk purchase I'm somewhat surprised to see that kind of statement about the 1911! Are these made in the same factory by the same people? If so - how can Ruger let the quality vary so much from one product to another?

In any event- congratulations on your recent find! Keep us up to date on how it works out as far as feeding different ammo etc.

the .45 sr1911 is made in prescott az and the quality control is very good. no bias here, but it is as good as my colt. even with no break-in is has been 100% reliable. shooting factory hollow points, ball, and some old lead bullets it functions like a champ. the trigger breaks over 4.5# which for me is too heavy, but as time allows i will fix that.

my retail price was just under $700. so far i couldn't be happier with this .45, and think it compairs with many of the high priced
    models. ( i mean those over $1000. ). if you can find one, grab it!
    happy trails.
    jh

That's nice Pinehaven. Never mind tvf... He's one of the very few on here who doesn't like Ruger's guns, and he works a slam on Ruger into most every one of his posts. Of course, he's been doing that for a while, and yet he just bought a new Ruger. And then he proceeds to act surprised when he doesn't like it.

Hardly correct! I like a a number of the Ruger products and most of Ruger's products are of good quality. For some reason the Redhawk I bought just doesn't measure up to what I've came to expect from Ruger and other first class gun manufacturers. I'll post some pictures when I get a camera that can do close up and I think you will agree on the 2nd rate fit and finish. Ruger can and usually does much better.

As to liking the Redhawk like the other Rugers I own - I'll have to see. If I can correct the cylinder, forcing cone and crown issues, and get the trigger pull fixed it may find a place in my life. If not - I'll sell it like other guns I've owned and never became fond of - no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    That's nice Pinehaven. Never mind tvf... He's one of the very few on here who doesn't like Ruger's guns, and he works a slam on Ruger into most every one of his posts. Of course, he's been doing that for a while, and yet he just bought a new Ruger. And then he proceeds to act surprised when he doesn't like it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post

+1............