Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Absolutely disgusted with ****** ****** Meats

Thumbs up Absolutely disgusted with ****** ****** Meats

Anyone else have any issues this year with a certain meat processor just outside of Anchorage (edited)? We spent hours upon hours taking care of our meat this year before sending over 900 pounds of it off to them for processing. It took them a week to pick it up from Northern Air Cargo and over a month to process it. When we finally got it back to Kodiak we opened up our boxes of specialty sausages to find over 280 pounds of sausage tossed loosely in boxes, covered in 1/2 inch of ice and freezer burned. Our hard earned meat was given to these people along with over $1400 to process it all and they treated it like dog crap and returned it to us. We did the same trip last year and they were prompt to pick it up and process it and returned it to us vaccumed sealed and ready to put in the freezer. It was almost like it was a completely different company this year. I took time to talk with them on the phone about it today and was met with nothing but rudeness. All I can pass along is really research your choice of butcher shops before you trust them with processing your meat.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 12-10-2011 at 23:14.

My first year as a resident I killed an elk out on Raspberry. As I did not have a grinder at the time, I took some meat south out of town to get ground in burger and some hotdogs. While I was there, I asked if I could have some of the meat ground 50/50 with pork. She asked "Why?" and I told her so that I could add my own seasonings at home to make some sausages. The response was a short "No." I didn't think this was too much of a request, I was under the assumption that they had a grinder in back that would be able to handle such a task. The conversation went sort of like this:

"Really, you can't do that?"

"Nope, why would we, so that you can make your own sausage?"

"Yes, precisely, I am paying you for the pork, and for the service of grinding it."

"Nope, won't do it."

I had half a desire to ask for all my meat back and walk out, but as I was already down there, I just let it go, and had them grind it all to burger. Needless to say, picking up my meat was the last time I ever set foot in there and had no further desire to take any business down that way. It would seem like they get enough business to not be so insecure as to not grind up a 50/50 pork mix. The other possibility, of course, is that regardless of what they tell you, you don't get your own meat back. It all gets done in huge batches, and you get as much meat out as what went into the batch. In that case, grinding 20 pounds or so of 50/50 mix would be out of the ordinary and require extra work. I now grind all my own meat anyway, so I can make it however I like, and avoid the cost and rudeness at the same time. I guess as I look back, she did me quite the favor.

I think this thread is a good opportunity to list some of the good meat guys. Not there are a lot of them.

My list is short. Pioneer meats

Can't help with Anchorage stuff, but Jerry's Meats in Juneau has always done a top knotch grind and wrap on anything I sent them. I also had some pepperoni made one year it was great. They make a pretty good bear summer sausage as well. If you have meat in SE, I'd recommend Jerry's for specialty projects.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

It has been my experience that even the best processors simply get over loaded during the peak of moose season and quality drops, add a few seasonal workers and it gets worse. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY treats your food like you do. For that very reason I process all my own meat anymore, simply too much work, money and time involved to do otherwise. If I want some specialty products made I wait until later in the winter and then take it in when they are slow to have done. IMHO processing is part of the hunt for me and I enjoy the processing part as well and I have ended up with a much better product in the end and the taste is noticeably better. When you start grinding getting all the hair, silver skin, gristle and other stuff you don't want in your final product is a lot of work and grinding hides much of that if you get lazy. I also like to keep my sirloin burger "Rear Legs"separate from the chuck "Front Legs".

$1400 would pay for a really nice grinder and even a quality chamber sealer.

I only had to learn that lesson once, opened some so called steaks. They had simply run the rear quarter through a band saw without trimming off the dried outer rind. The meat had a horrible strong taste.

I now do my own and never regretted it and I get to read these threads EVERY year instead of participating in them.

JMHO,,

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hey, that's the same as my list. Lisa has never done me wrong. However, the back and forth to Wasilla or Anchorage for me is tough. Like Stid, I do most of my own now.

if a guy gets 2-3 to go in a good grinder it's not that expensive. spend the money on a good heavy duty one also or you'll wish you had. nice thing is you can freeze the meat & do it during the winter or as you have time also, which can help take the boredom out of some of the long winter days + the satisfaction of doing it yourself. personally i like to "saran" wrap my meat & freezer paper wrap over vacuum sealing....just my O2

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Anyone else have any issues this year with a certain meat processor just outside of Anchorage in the town of Indian? We spent hours upon hours taking care of our meat this year before sending over 900 pounds of it off to them for processing. It took them a week to pick it up from Northern Air Cargo and over a month to process it. When we finally got it back to Kodiak we opened up our boxes of specialty sausages to find over 280 pounds of sausage tossed loosely in boxes, covered in 1/2 inch of ice and freezer burned. Our hard earned meat was given to these people along with over $1400 to process it all and they treated it like dog crap and returned it to us. We did the same trip last year and they were prompt to pick it up and process it and returned it to us vaccumed sealed and ready to put in the freezer. It was almost like it was a completely different company this year. I took time to talk with them on the phone about it today and was met with nothing but rudeness. All I can pass along is really research your choice of butcher shops before you trust them with processing your meat.
    Don't complain, sue them. The only thing people like this understand is money, and losing it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Gotta agree with LuJon....
    Last edited by stid2677; 12-04-2011 at 05:00.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Thewolfwatching View Post
    Big time.......
    Settle down young whipper snapper....Sorry couldn't resist.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thewolfwatching

Watch what happens next.. might teach the idiots a thing or two.............
    Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Settle down young whipper snapper....Sorry couldn't resist.

I was just razzin ya, I'm heading to bed. should I make popcorn? I never did get he point of making a postal ike this when your not naming names you can complaine all you want, but if we don't know what your complaining about, well, that would get mighty confusing. if your gonna do it, do it right. tell them in there face instead of behind there backs.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I was just razzin ya, I'm heading to bed. should I make popcorn? I never did get he point of making a postal ike this when your not naming names you can complaine all you want, but if we don't know what your complaining about, well, that would get mighty confusing. if your gonna do it, do it right. tell them in there face instead of behind there backs.
    You make a good point FF&G, However rest assured Thewolfwatching has absolutely no problem telling anybody anything directly to their face. The wolfwatching will not talk behind your back. Some folks don't like it but that is their problem. The forum rules prohibit the naming of names in specific instances, and sometimes Thewolfwatching will conform to these rules knowing full well the intended reciepient of her post has "Got the message"

Regarding Processing game, Most of what I process is done at home, however when time has been an issue I occasionally send some to 10th & M Seafoods, and have always been pleased with the results. I have used them for about 15 years. About five years ago I sent about 800# to Indian Valley and I had excellent service and results there also. ~Mist~

For those unfamiliar with our forum rules. NEGATIVE post about companies is not allowed, that is why the OP did not post the company name. Had nothing to do with not having the moxy to do so.
    Founding Member

I've been going to Glenn's Wild Game Processing in Muldoon for years and they do a great job. Although they do have some things completed by that place south of anchorage since they can't smoke in the city limits , I've always liked what they do.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

That's a shame. I have nothing but good things to say about ____________. They've done a few bears and a caribou for me, and the meat is the best I've ever tasted. Their Italian sausage is out of this world. I wonder why some people get excellent care, and some people are treated so poorly..
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 12-04-2011 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    For those unfamiliar with our forum rules. NEGATIVE post about companies is not allowed, that is why the OP did not post the company name. Had nothing to do with not having the moxy to do so.
    Thats my point, if you have something bad to day about it, but you can't say who it is, then there is no point in making a post just to start another argument

Why was the name of the company deleted from my post? I wrote that I have nothing but good things to say about them. Now we're not allowed to praise quality work?

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    Why was the name of the company deleted from my post? I wrote that I have nothing but good things to say about them. Now we're not allowed to praise quality work?
    I would say because people could figure out the company the original complaint was about.
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast