Thread: Bring my chickens or buy there?

Default Bring my chickens or buy there?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about relocating to Anchorage from Oregon this next summer for work. I have had 3 laying hens since this past spring, and they are doing a great job giving me about an egg/ day for each bird. They are barred rocks. Do you have any advice on bringing them up with me on the ferry or on the alcan?

Probably easiest to get new birds up there, but it would be cool to bring my girls up with me.

Thanks for any input!

By all mean bring your girls, i suggest fried. LOL

There is good chickens to be had up here. Also its not a big deal or expensive to ship chicks up from a hatchery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    By all mean bring your girls, i suggest fried. LOL
    Ha! I can't justify bringing up fried meat!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    There is good chickens to be had up here. Also its not a big deal or expensive to ship chicks up from a hatchery.
    thanks, rimfire!

Saw some other posts on here about obtaining birds there. Probably stupid to bring mine up.

How do you like eagle river? Been looking at property up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by salmonid View Post
    How do you like eagle river? Been looking at property up that way.
    I don't have any sage advice to give on chickens, but I was born and raised in Eagle River and love it. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to give you my take on things.

I really like Eagle river. The people out here are easy going and its a little bit slower pace. If your are going to work in anchorage, eagle river is a nice place to come home too.

Might want to see if chickens are even allowed in Anchorage. I seem to remember someone getting in trouble for having them in the city limits unless there in a freezer or frying pan. There is a great bird guy in the valley I believe it Anthony at triple R or something like that.

I'd leave your birds behind. If you got them this past spring by next fall they will be entering their first molt. Their egg production will really go down hill during and after that molt. Chickens are allowed in Anchorage but there are restrictions on how many you can have and NO roosters. Anthony out at Triple D went out of business last year but there are still plenty of yard birds to be had. Check out Craigslist, Alaskaslist and if your on facebook there is a group called Alaska farm and food, there is always someone with birds available.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Thanks everybody!

You guys have a good friendly forum, I will give my birds to a friend and start fresh up there. Hope things work out with the job opportunity!

btw, Ak Bird brain: Nice sig! So true..

Smart move to leave the birds there you will have enough to do in getting up here with out having to deal with feeding and watering chickens. Good Luck on the move and job.

Be easier to get new ones when you're here. I'm hoping to be hatching soon!
    If it can be made from fur, I can make it!!
    Custom hats, mittens & more from your fur or mine!
    www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

I don't know the details about birds, but another thing to consider would be the possibility of transporting illness with the chickens. It is always a risk when relocating any kind of animals/birds from one region to another. Probably best to get "local" stock when you get up here to minimize chance of transmitting bugs that the birds up here are not immune to.

Is there a certain breed of chicken that does better in Alaska for egg laying than another.

Thanks Samson

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Is there a certain breed of chicken that does better in Alaska for egg laying than another.

Thanks Samson
    Not really by my experience. Good layers are generally good layers. Characteristics such as ability to handle the cold are things that matter though. Feathered feet don't work so well, as birds are closed up more in winter months and conditions can get damp. Breeds with very compact combs resist frostbite damage. Robust, well feathered, all around breeds such as Orpingtons are my choice, but people keep all kinds of breeds here.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Not really by my experience. Good layers are generally good layers. Characteristics such as ability to handle the cold are things that matter though. Feathered feet don't work so well, as birds are closed up more in winter months and conditions can get damp. Breeds with very compact combs resist frostbite damage. Robust, well feathered, all around breeds such as Orpingtons are my choice, but people keep all kinds of breeds here.
    Id agree and add that body mass helps them not freeze as fast.

I have some Light Brahma Giants that I've have had good luck with, they have feathers on the leg but few if any on the feet to ice-ball up. They are good layers, big fleshy good eating birds, and a very dossal friendly chicken too. Also have some Jersey Giants that do well, good layers and eaters but youd think they were from the New Jersey streets with the un-friendly attitudes they have.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Norwegian Jaerhons are a very superior cold-climate egg layer. They are small in stature, but lay a large egg. They forage very well, fly well and handle the cold better than any other birds I've had.
    If it can be made from fur, I can make it!!
    Custom hats, mittens & more from your fur or mine!
    www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

Default The Muni and Chickens

If I remember right, didn't the ANC Muni Council just change the rules to allow up to five hens to be kept on a residential lot? No roosters and bantams or something like that.

Ya here is the info on keeping chickens in anchorage. Wow $100 permit!
    http://www.keepingchickenssite.com/c...chorage-alaska

I know a few folks in Anchorage with chickens and that's the first I've heard about a $100 permit!
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.