Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: north for kashwitna

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default north for kashwitna

    Has anyone fished the North Fork of the Kashwitna this year. Curious if the Ward family is still trying to run people out of there and prevent them from fishing. I took the mail trail in before as I do not wish to drive around the gate. I did not get to fish it this past year but plan on going in again in the Spring as long as the Wards leave us alone.

  2. #2
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akman_99577 View Post
    Has anyone fished the North Fork of the Kashwitna this year. Curious if the Ward family is still trying to run people out of there and prevent them from fishing. I took the mail trail in before as I do not wish to drive around the gate. I did not get to fish it this past year but plan on going in again in the Spring as long as the Wards leave us alone.
    From what I understand the Wards own the land. I don't know about them running people out of there but I imagine that they have not retracted their stance against trespassing on their land.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    The Wards do not own all the land from the “gate” to the Kashwitna only a few acres on the East side of the “gate”. If you look at the local maps you will see there is a way to bypass Wards land to access the Kashwitna with out trespassing.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southcentral AK
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    The Wards do not own all the land from the “gate” to the Kashwitna only a few acres on the East side of the “gate”. If you look at the local maps you will see there is a way to bypass Wards land to access the Kashwitna with out trespassing.
    Which "local maps"?

  5. #5
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default

    I'm a friend of theirs...I'll be back there. They know they don't own the river but they do own that trail.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I'm a friend of theirs...I'll be back there. They know they don't own the river but they do own that trail.
    If that is true where is state document that said the Ward's own “ALL” the land the trail is on. Can you give us the Book, name and page so I can look it up?

    The Ward's do not own all of the trail only a small part that crosses their land by the gate. At one time he was leasing the sub-soil rights to the area. That does not mean he owns the lands or you or I are trespassing if we cross it because it is still state land.

    Their a lot of people in the Caswell area that say thing in the Ward's name that is not true. There not as bad as some people make them out to be.

  7. #7
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default

    They do not own 100% of the trail you are right. They own the start, and all up until about the last 1/2 mile before the fork. I can get ahold of the documents if you REALLY want to see them, I'd have to track them down in my filing cabinet....they're in there somewhere. The wards are good people and have been friends of mine since I was 4 years old. They own more land than MacGyver thinks they do apparently. If I owned all of that land and people were constantly coming onto my property and then telling me I didn't own it I would probably be mad about it. I'll say it again...they do not own 100% of that trail...but they do own 90% of it. If you access the north for some way that isn't that gated trail with the no trespassing signs I don't think they'd have an issue with that. I have seen people back there who couldn't produce a copy of the key to that gate that matched mine...or any key at all...but since the guy said he walked all the way back there I figured he deserved to walk that trail...that was dedication . It was explained to me that if someone was on the trail without their permission (proven by a key matching mine which opens the gate) I am supposed to politely escort them out and lock the gate behind them. How other's who share that trail lead people how is out of my control. Once again, the wards are good people they just want to share all that land they paid for and pay taxes on with their friends and family...not people who assume they can go wherever they want. I can promise if you went to them and were friendly and introduced yourself to them they would share access with you. They're good people and it irritates me to see people on this forum bashing them because they're jealous they don't own that trail and it's a pain in their @$$ to get back there via other routes. message me if ya want more info
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    143

    Default

    i have gone up the sheep creek trail all the way up to the hills and over to the north fork in the mountains from caswell but how many different ways can you get to the fork? and does anyone know on the sheep creek trail in the area that you can drive down to sheep creek, just before the first big hill... there is a trail to the south (on right) where does it go?????

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    They do not own 100% of the trail you are right. They own the start, and all up until about the last 1/2 mile before the fork. I can get ahold of the documents if you REALLY want to see them, I'd have to track them down in my filing cabinet....they're in there somewhere. The wards are good people and have been friends of mine since I was 4 years old. They own more land than MacGyver thinks they do apparently. If I owned all of that land and people were constantly coming onto my property and then telling me I didn't own it I would probably be mad about it. I'll say it again...they do not own 100% of that trail...but they do own 90% of it. If you access the north for some way that isn't that gated trail with the no trespassing signs I don't think they'd have an issue with that. I have seen people back there who couldn't produce a copy of the key to that gate that matched mine...or any key at all...but since the guy said he walked all the way back there I figured he deserved to walk that trail...that was dedication . It was explained to me that if someone was on the trail without their permission (proven by a key matching mine which opens the gate) I am supposed to politely escort them out and lock the gate behind them. How other's who share that trail lead people how is out of my control. Once again, the wards are good people they just want to share all that land they paid for and pay taxes on with their friends and family...not people who assume they can go wherever they want. I can promise if you went to them and were friendly and introduced yourself to them they would share access with you. They're good people and it irritates me to see people on this forum bashing them because they're jealous they don't own that trail and it's a pain in their @$$ to get back there via other routes. message me if ya want more info
    That property they supposedly own is not on the public tax rolls. Unless the Wards are their own native corp that tells me they don't own it.
    Scott Ward told me they owned 20 acres, all by the gate.

  10. #10
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default north for kashwitna

    I'll ask Scott about that, I find that hard to believe. Jack ward senior left it to his kids all in a trust, it's not under any 1 wards name.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I'll ask Scott about that, I find that hard to believe. Jack ward senior left it to his kids all in a trust, it's not under any 1 wards name.
    Thats what Scott told me. And I was in his confidence enough that he gave me a key to the gate. Again why is the property not listed on the tax rolls?
    f

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Native Corp do not pay taxis on there land and I think that is also true for any native lands. Could it be listed under Caswell Native Corp?

  13. #13
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default north for kashwitna

    I'm not sure exactly how it's listed, or why it didn't show when you looked for
    It. I know that it is owned jointly through all the sons of jack ward senior who developed and sub divided the Caswell lakes subdivision. Caswell native corp wouldn't surprise me though.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Native Corp do not pay taxis on there land and I think that is also true for any native lands. Could it be listed under Caswell Native Corp?
    I always thought Caswell native corp owned it and it makes sense because Jerry Ward is connected to them[he was there business manager, or some such thing] I do know 12 or so years ago someone poured a lot of cash into what was a trail to the n fork to make it a road. About that time the gate showed up. I think CNC intended to subdivide it and for some reason it never happened.
    I asked Scott about all the work. He said it was to make it easier for grandma to get to the north fork Sure $ 1million of road work for granma
    Even the Wards pockets are not that deep.

  15. #15
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default north for kashwitna

    The way I have understood
    It was: jack ward, the one I am closest with logged the area. That is when the trail became more developed. They said they were shipping the lumber to Japan and the 3rd boat never got paid for so they didn't have funds to log further.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I'm not sure exactly how it's listed, or why it didn't show when you looked for
    It. I know that it is owned jointly through all the sons of jack ward senior who developed and sub divided the Caswell lakes subdivision. Caswell native corp wouldn't surprise me though.
    My interest in this goes way before you could look it up on a computer. Years ago I went to the Palmer town hall to look at the plat maps so I could figure out who owned that property. I found the exact parcel I was looking for [it's easy to spot it ends just short of the north fork.] I asked the women behind the the counter why there was no name on it. I was told[rather briskly and rudely I might add-sorry lady if you don't like your job] "if they don't pay tax's we don't care who they are."

    That's when I came to the conclusion it was CNC. Big chunk of land, no tax's. Sure looks like a native corp.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Native Corp do not pay taxis on there land and I think that is also true for any native lands. Could it be listed under Caswell Native Corp?
    Is this rutting bull? Why the name change?

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Is this rutting bull? Why the name change?
    No it not.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    No it not.
    Well that's odd. All my PM's from rutting bull are now identified coming from MacGvver.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •