Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: backpacks baby

Default backpacks baby

I am looking to upgrade my backpack any suggestions (bad or good experiences) you guys have. I am looking at the Go Lite terrono 90L. I want a pack that my gun or bow fits snugly on it, relatively light, o yea and bad *****. I would be using it through all seasons but mainly fall and winter. So it also has to carry skis if need be and have enough room for a week in the back country.

Gee, not asking very much of your pack are you?

Mystery Ranch. Several models will do all that except the light.

I went lightweight on a pack this year and was relatively dissapointed.

This was my first year using a Barney's pack and I love it. It's not super light, but more than makes up for it with its roominess and toughness. It's also super comfortable

Packs are like footwear, you can't have just one type.

haha i know L.G. it will be my 1st real back pack. SO i really have NOOOOO idea what to look for and with so many options how do you narrow it. Thats where you guys come in

The reason i want a semi-light weight pack is mainly from the thought of having a nearly 10lb pack w/ a 10lb gun (gun has a sling and bi-pod attached). Which sets me around the 20lb mark and i have yet to put a tent, sleeping bag, stove, extra clothes, etc in it.

If weight is a deciding factor, you may want to give the Kifaru KU series a look. I have the KU5200, the pack weights less than 3lbs and does not soak up water. Used with the Kifaru gun bearer it helps balance my load, keeps my weapon handy and my hands free. Some don't like the gun bearer, but I have taken game while other have struggled trying to get their rifle free from their pack. I feel much more secure in bear country knowing I have my weapon at the ready at all times.

Had no trouble carrying all I need for a 10 day sheep hunt this fall.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid2677, Did you add any pouches/ accessories to the KU5200, besides the gun bearer?

Quote Originally Posted by nreynolds84 View Post
    Stid2677, Did you add any pouches/ accessories to the KU5200, besides the gun bearer?
    Of course,, Got 2 side pouches, lid pouch, grab it, and the E&E.
    Founding Member

stid was this pack durable over time. It looks like a sweet pack online. Also doesnt the gun bearer make your arm hit your gun??? Are the straps on the backside strudy enough to hold a gun/bow or skis?

Quote Originally Posted by hamma time View Post
    stid was this pack durable over time. It looks like a sweet pack online. Also doesnt the gun bearer make your arm hit your gun??? Are the straps on the backside strudy enough to hold a gun/bow or skis?
    I have been totally happy with how it has held up. I don't baby it, but I don't abuse it either. With the gun bearer, for me my rifle stays tucked under my arm. The material the pack is made form is what is used for para gliders, very tough. I had no trouble using the straps to hold my Rams horns in place and they weigh more than a bow or rifle, very strong nylon webbing. Alaska_Lanche bought one for his wife, he lives near Anchorage. Might send him a PM and see if he will let you check out their KU5200.
    Founding Member

Also doesnt the gun bearer make your arm hit your gun???
    Like stid stated your arm goes over the rifle so no issue there but you might bump your forehead or hat bill on your rifle barrel from time to time. I used one for the first time this season and was really impressed.

As far as packs go I use a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500. Great pack will carry anything you want and last forever but is a little heavy.

wen to used a PM and it says im blocked from doing so? hmmm.

wen to used a PM and it says im blocked from doing so? hmmm.
    I believe you got to have a certain amount of posts before you can use the private message feature. The answer can probably be found in the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I believe you got to have a certain amount of posts before you can use the private message feature. The answer can probably be found in the FAQ.
    ahh, right on. Well back the the backpack discussion. Only one suggestion? Com'on man

How much coin you got set aside for it? With a very deep wallet you can get Dan McHale to custom build a pack that will meet most any criteria you could come up with. I don't have 5k in German optiks but I do have darn close to 2k invested into custom pack and would make the same trade off today.

Simple fact about backpacks: Lite, Sturdy, Cheap.....Pick any two!

Hey Stid, Do you use an external frame pack much or stick mainly to the Kifaru's?

Quote Originally Posted by nreynolds84 View Post
    Hey Stid, Do you use an external frame pack much or stick mainly to the Kifaru's?
    I have a Cabela's guide model frame pack, but rarely use it. Once you use one of the KIfaru's packs they are so comfortable its hard to go back to the old IRON MAIDEN. I just can't carry the type loads that make frame pack a better choice. Entire moose quarters being the main item that frame packs are better at and loads in excess of 100lbs in open country.
    Founding Member

stid,

Do you think the Kifaru gun bearer will affix to the Barneys pack/frame? I used a Barneys this year for the first time and absolutely loved it; however, I did not like having my gun in the gun carrier, especially while busting brush on Kodiak and not knowing what might be on the other side. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast