Thread: Something for the Mainiac's

Default Something for the Mainiac's

Looks like some North East ice drinking, I mean fishing at its finest.http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/534839598/hardwater

Man,

That stirs up old memories and at the same time irks me when they say its not like what it was like 30 years ago. Growing up in Northern Aroostook Country, you could go on most lakes ( I mainly stuck to the lakes on the Fish River Chain) and you could count 50-100 Ice Shanties. Families out having fun, catching Smelt in the Cabins, Brook Trout, Touge (Lake Trout) and Salmon outside on Tip ups we made our selves, and caught Cusk (Burbot) at night. We didn't slaughter the fish but we had fun. On a good day, you could catch your limit. I've been gone for 30 years now except a 4 year stay as an Army Recruiter and in talking to my dad, those days are over. People hardly catch fish anymore, you'll be lucky to see 20 Shanties on a lake. Reasons my Dad says is piss poor management, clear cutting lumber and local strip mining that has occurred over the years and gotten way out of hand. Those were fun days, from exploring new ventures using a Cardboard Dryer or Washing Machine Box as cover and watching fish under the ice, to frying potatoes on a stove top at 2 Am inside the Palace Style Ice Shanty catching Smelt and listening to the hiss of the propane lantern, to raiding an old fisherman Tip Up that he temporarily left unattended and replacing his fish with a snow shoe hair and hiding in the nearby treeline and watching him race up to the tip up in his truck, run and bust his butt to his tip up only to pull a rabbit out of the hole then looking arround knowing he had been had but had no proof and he wasn't gonna tell a soul. LOL

Aiyuuhh, wicked story.

Saw some nice pack baskets and real Ice Traps in that brief documentary trailer. Grew up catching smelt by shoving an old hacksaw blade into the window sill of the ice fishin shack. You would see the blade twitch (ever so slightly) and you'd know you had a smelt caught with a tiny hook. Rainbow smelts got pretty big too. I caught cusk (burbot), small mouth bass, large mouth bass, land locked salmon, brook trout, white perch, chain pickeral and whitefish while ice fishing. Good eatin fish. Should be a good documentary to conjure up old memories.

[QUOTE=mainer_in_ak;1044586] Grew up catching smelt by shoving an old hacksaw blade into the window sill of the ice fishin shack. You would see the blade twitch (ever so slightly) and you'd know you had a smelt caught with a tiny hook. /QUOTE]

Mainer,

Never saw that technique. We use to run 2 lines per person inside. 2 nails on the ceiling 12" apart for each line to wind up our fishing line. Each line was set 12" apart also to maximize lines. Each line had a match stick looped in in the line at eye level and when you saw the match stick move, you had a smelt working it. You could just pull it up, re-bait with a small chunck of white fish/smelt/ and let her go bck down for another. If not fishing outside tip ups, we ran 2-3 hooks a line and sometimes you could get doubles and tripples. When schools came through, it was chaos, when not, we ate, drank, and swap stories or took a nap.

You caught smelt? I thought the river camps were only for drinking.....

Quote Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
    You caught smelt? I thought the river camps were only for drinking.....
    Are you talking about the River Camps on Fish Lake? And yes, we even caught smelt on Portage Lake were I did most of my growing up. Drinking was not the main focus, just an extra curricular activity to enhance what ever else we were doing. After all we were just kids back then.

We used tip up line by hand w/a short shot of mono, pilki at the bottom and single hook 6''s up both tipped w/cut smelt. Caught em' by the hundreds when biting! Used them for bait and sold them 50 cents apiece on the ice, paid the beer bill and then some, good times!

Here's anathah for yah, copy and paste if she don't link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sRB3Ox5OeA