Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honey if you let me buy this gun I won't get another one for a very long time.

Default Honey if you let me buy this gun I won't get another one for a very long time.

Any of you liars ever made that promise?

The year was 1994 when this elderly gentleman walked into Gabes Gun Shop in Williamsburg Iowa. He was headed to Texas to hunt whitetail deer with his son. He made a purchase that day that left me green with envy. He bought a newly introduced Winchester model 70 Ultra Feather Weight with the reintroduced claw extractor/control round feed that made the pre 64s all the rage. The old fella bought a new Leupold VXIII 1.75 X 6 and bases and rings from the same manufacture. He then bought 6 boxes of Remington 140 grain Core Lockt ammo........once the scope was mounted and bore sighted.....out the door he went.

Well, yesterday that same gentleman walked into a gun shop in Grinnell, Iowa wanting to sell his 7mm-08. The rifle and scope were in the same condition as they were the day Mike at Gabes Gun Shop put that package together for the old timer. He still had the six boxes of Remington ammo minus 9 rounds that were used to sight the gun in with and to kill one deer with. He announced that he wanted to sell his rifle and ammo for a fair price of $650.00. I told him that with CHRISTmas just around the corner and with all of the grandkids that I have accumulated along with the fact that I promised my wife there would be no more gun purchases until after the first of the year that there was no way I could with clear conscience purchase his rifle. So last night at 9:30 mother went off to bed and guilt ridden as I was I was still able to get my new little model 70 out and give it a spit shine. Ya know something the longer I cleaned on that little gem the less guilty I felt. By do process of actually fondling the gun and reassuring myself that I had done the right thing I eventually went to bed without a bit of remorse.

I'll fess up to mother and ask for her forgiveness in a few years.

Is that how you guys pull this kind of stuff off??? Works for me!

Your the man. just remind her of that.
    Semper Fi!

Dear I love women and guns so which do you prefer I bring home
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

let her know whos wearing the pants, and who comes up with all the good ideas.

Semper Fi!

That's a promise I will never make Del
    Owner of Kenai Keeper www.kenaikeeper.com

I've never made that promise. I seldom buy a new gun, but when my wife asks me how many more guns to you need. I always say "Just one more". I just bought my New Daughter In Law a Marlin X7 in a 30-06 SS with Syn Stock. Couldn't pass up the price on Black Friday for 359.00 She doesn't own a gun and loves to hunt. Gotta do my best to accomodate and make her feel like part of the family as best as I could. Her Birthday will be soon so now I'm looking for a smoking deal on a Vortex Scope. Good on you for thinking of your families future. One that plays together, stays together. Good Job Gramps!!!!!

My creed has always been, "It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission".

My wife would see right through that one.... so no.

I have had to beg forgiveness after a trip to the Hook and Bullet however.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

You guys crack me up.

greythorn3:
    I perceive you to be a REBEL.

My wife never complains when I but a gun, but she has those thoughts, sometimes, I'm sure.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I've never made that promise. I seldom buy a new gun, but when my wife asks me how many more guns to you need. I always say "Just one more". I just bought my New Daughter In Law a Marlin X7 in a 30-06 SS with Syn Stock. Couldn't pass up the price on Black Friday for 359.00 She doesn't own a gun and loves to hunt. Gotta do my best to accomodate and make her feel like part of the family as best as I could. Her Birthday will be soon so now I'm looking for a smoking deal on a Vortex Scope. Good on you for thinking of your families future. One that plays together, stays together. Good Job Gramps!!!!!
    Not to worry about the grandkids future! There are more guns in my house that belong to grandkids than I have of my own anymore.

Im bettin one of them ends up with this 7mm-08 in the end....in the mean time I'm gonna play with it!

Besides I don't have anything in .284 and since Smitty thinks they are the hottest thing going I was kinda feeling left out. Thats it it's Smitty of the way Norths fault! I knew I'd see a way out of this predicament!

Hey Mom, know what Smitty made me do?

Honey, I drew a Kodiak bear tag and need a bear gun.

Her response "Can't you use one of the ones you already have??

me "No need a bigger one.''

Her "Okay"

Me "Oh and I need a new scope for it too, have to be able to see one to shoot it"

Congrats on your new Winny!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Honey, I drew a Kodiak bear tag and need a bear gun.

Her response "Can't you use one of the ones you already have??

me "No need a bigger one.''

Her "Okay"

Me "Oh and I need a new scope for it too, have to be able to see one to shoot it"

Congrats on your new Winny!!!
    Yes that sounds very familiar to me “Okay honey get what you need, that one’s more money but go for it, you need it.” I come home from a great hunt to find new TV, microwave, JC Pennies bags all over, closet full of new $200 shoes, credit cards maxed out and all I got for that ten grand was a pistol! Better to buy it then IF you get caught ask for forgiveness . . . then show her the dimond ring or whatever I got for her when I got the gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I bought my first firearm in 1986 when I was 18. Since then, I have bought one per year. When I have bought two in a year, I sell the one on the bottom of my list to compensate. I now have 26. Sometime during 2012, I will have 26. Not sure what it'll bem but my wife buys enough stuff that pleases here that it's non-negotiable to me. Plus, guns are negotiable currency, right?

I have one blackpowder revolver; two centerfire revolvers; 15 semi-auto pistols; two shotguns; and six rifles. The good thing is that my wife pretty much thinks think they all look a like. When I pull out a new gun, she assumes it's an old gun anyway. This year, she gets an iPad and a trip to Bahamas with the girls. I get either Colt Delta Gold Cup 10mm; Rohrbaugh .380 (or 9mm); Kahr P380; DRC Tracker straight grip 16" in .454 Casull; or something else.

Bought the wife an iPad2 for her birthday. Not feeling guilty at all right now as I tally up about $600 building my new rifle. At that price it is still slightly less than her iPad.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Amigo Will, I love your answer. I'd love to use it but if I did I am afraid my wife would hurt me.

I do every tradesman job in the house, plumbing, electrics, drywall, you name it. Every now and again I just throw in the ' I just saved us $XXX'. She never asks about my gun buys and I never tell. She also wants me to redesign and re-build our kitchen and 2 of the bathrooms next year - there's plenty labor money there that we will save and I will spend!! We have a great relationship and both get what we want mostly, I never ask about the clothes, shoes, haircuts etc, she never asks about the packs, boots, guns, knives, tents..........wow that list goes on!!

I bought several guns just before the wife and I got married. To slow me down WE agreed I would only buy one per year after we were married. It made me prioritize what I really wanted. Some years we couldn't afford the one per year, one year my gun pick went to the son for his HS graduation gift (and I lost out on a SS Win. 70 left hand .338), and some times I just couldn't make up my mind. She would never buy the "It's the last one I'll buy." line.

I must be one of the luckiest married men around- my wife simply say's "if it is something you really want then get it". I have to admit that I feel guilty about it sometimes!

I made the mistake of saying it is the only gun I will ever need.
    The six or seven since then were ones I just wanted, I really didn't need them.

This is funny stuff, i just had a good conversation about buying guns with the wife. I informed her I wanted a new shotgun, she asked how much, $1800 bucks and it is sweet! She responds with you don't need anymore guns. I respond with the whole needs versus wants lecture. Next day we go to town and she has always wanted one of them fancy too expensive of a purse. I walk in an tell her to pick one out. She says there too expensive and she doesnt need one. Short of the story is that she got her purse she wanted and she learned about needs versus wants. 8 days till im home and buying a gun! Can't afford the shotgun after the purse but at least I get a new 1911!

Now that I think about it...... Maybe she played me and got exactly what she wanted....oh well, were both happy and thats all that counts. The next one I buy will be a sleeper, while she,s sleeping I will be hiding it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast