Thread: beginner hand loading questions

Default beginner hand loading questions

I recent got 2 of those lee classic reloading kits. One in a 3006 and one in45acp I have used the 06 one and I like it but I was wondering what powder to use for the 45 my youth pastor who reloads a lot of rifles but not many pistols said imr800x is a good one for higher power blinking rounds and hunting rounds. Waddaya think? He also said regular lead bullets would be cheaper than fmjs. Would they foul the barrel? I'm on my moms iPhone and I'm not much of a computer guy so if this is comes through wired sorry.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Bullseye is the standard 45acp powder and does well, 800X also does well and many others. Best to hit the books and find loads with ballistics similar to what you want then buy that powder and work up a load for your gun. I like Hodgdon powders in handguns myself and their data can be found online HERE.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I recommend getting a book, and then review lots of posted information on forums from users of powders you become interested in by reading the book. In the book you will note velocities and pressures depending on powder charge size and type. Its not overly complicated, but it can appear to be just that.

Some powders are "dirtier" than others and you need to clean the gun more. Some are "too hot" for some action types once you start uping the charge. Bullet seating and type can become important. Just because there is a power and bullet listed on a table does not mean that it will work well in your gun. Some feed ramps don't do well with semi wadcutters and others wont feed a hollow point to save your life.

Right now I am tyring to imagine reloading pistol ammo using a Lee classic system........no I can't do that, way too hard to think back to the stone age. Especially when the Lee Breech Lock kit is only $90 plus shipping. I think these are even on sale at SW right now for $99 so that would save about $10 off the shipping cost.

I know you are only a teenager but your time still costs something, to you or your parents. Of course the more time you spend working on slow reloads the less time you will have to find trouble. The less time trapping, etc.

If I was too buy a couple books for reloading I would start with the USA Load book. It is caliber specific and gives you a lot of different choices with all the major powder and bullet manufactures. I just ordered two from Cabelas at $6.99 each. Then look for a reloaders book or do some research on the internet for for technique and different ways. You will find a lot of good information and enjoy learning it. I also just found that Barnes has a club called the X club or Copper club. One of them is free and the other is a annual fee of $50. The one that cost gives you access to what they call Barnes University where you can what they call a Bachelors degree in reloading science. It looks pretty neat but may be bias to there bullets, not sure. Good luck

Everyone into reloading should read “The ABCs of Reloading” for all the basic little stuff that nobody ever thinks to tell you and much more.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_ft6fjm3z3_e
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Getting hooked up with someone that is willing to teach you some basics and show you the different equiptment available would be a very good idea. The Lee hand kits do work but a cheap used press and a set of real dies will prevent a lot of frustration. The Lee load with a powder dipper is safe but it won't give you the higher power plinking loads. You will need a good powder scale to approach high power loads safely. Even with a scale I would recommend mid power loads until you gain some experience.
    I live in Chugiak and would be glad to show you the different types of presses, some hints on loading, what it takes to cast your own bullets if you are interested and can get by the house for a few hours one of these days. Although I have never read it, the ABCs of loading is highly recommended by a lot of folks. The gun shows can be a good place to pick up good used equiptment for a good price if you know what to look for. I started loading at about 14 or 15 years old and did just about everything wrong you can think of. I strongly suggest you don't learn the way I did. You should get as many loading manuals (new or used) as you can get your hands on and study them carefully. Then, if you can, get with an experienced loader willing to show you the ropes. It's a great addiction er! hobby and will allow you to shoot a lot more for the same money you are now spending. I load 45acp for about .05 per round. Good Luck!!
    By the way, I use either W231 (HP38) or Universal Clays as my 45 powder. A 45acp can be shot a bunch without leading using the right lead, lube, bullet size and hardness.

I concur with rbuck351 on the Winchester W231 powder. It is relatively inexpensive and shoots cleaner than most.

I would be careful about lead bullets. Most guns are fine with them, but Glock manuals specifically say not to shoot lead bullets in their barrels. You can buy aftermarket barrels to shoot lead in your Glock. What pistol will you be using?

The Glock 45acp is an exception to the no lead Glock thing. (Not according to Glock) But it has an octagon "rifled" barrel instead of the 6 sided in most Glocks This rounds out the barrel more than the 6 sided and is less disruptive to the lead bullet. I have fired thousands of several types of cast bullets through my Glock 21 with no more than normal cleaning. Normally shot several hundred before cleaning with no signs of leading. I don't like most commercial cast bullets for the 45acp as frequently they are too hard and the lube that is normally used is too hard. Cast bullets can be shot in the other Glocks as well, but they are a lot more picky on bullet hardness,size and lube type than the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post

I know you are only a teenager but your time still costs something, to you or your parents. Of course the more time you spend working on slow reloads the less time you will have to find trouble. The less time trapping, etc.
    I like thinks such as that, that require me to put a whole lot of my self into it.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I shoot a kimber custom 2 1911. I couldn't find any 800X so I got "longshot" thats what my youth pastor said, and he asked a bunch of people he knows. because I want more power full loads. I ended up with hornady hollow points. as they were cheaper than FMJ's and I couldn't find any lead, he also has a bunch of books for me, I have done some loading with the -06 loader and it takes a while but I like it, for the -06, he is gonna let me use a powder measure so as to get consistent loads, for plinking with the 45 It won't really matter the dipper would be fine, but I will use his measure to get hunting rounds and if I ever do real competitions or anything like that, he said I could swing by sometime and he would help me, as he started out with these same loaders I have

I was told along time ago that pistol rounds need to be more exact than rifle for fear of over loading. I would use that scale on your pistol if you can. If not use it to weigh one of your powder scoops to verify what its pouring out. Your on the right path but if you can beg borrow or save for a couple key tools like a scale you will be better off. Check sportsmans for a low cost scale, I think they had a Redding for around $50. Be a good Xmas gift.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I was told along time ago that pistol rounds need to be more exact than rifle for fear of over loading. I would use that scale on your pistol if you can. If not use it to weigh one of your powder scoops to verify what its pouring out. Your on the right path but if you can beg borrow or save for a couple key tools like a scale you will be better off. Check sportsmans for a low cost scale, I think they had a Redding for around $50. Be a good Xmas gift.
    Yepper, on that.

A little goes a long way with light charges.

you gotta be EXTREMELY keerful of double charges when using those FAST POWDERS.

I wouldn't trust a powder measure for something like Bullseye, though.

Personally, I would much prefer using a Dipper for THEM, even if I have to make them myself from cartridge cases. I've made lots of my own dippers, and I have Lee sets, both old and new.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.