Thread: Smittys Cove Marine Park?

Default Smittys Cove Marine Park?

Someone told me that a guy got a $1,000 (yes $1K) ticket for spearfishing in Smittys Cove in Whittier because it is a Marine Park? Can't find any info on it being a Federal Marine Park, fishing regs don't say anything either.
    We go there to snag silvers every year in the fall.

Just wondering what the deal is?

That's funny, cause I've shot a bunch of fish in there with a 300 win mag and never got no ticket. Maybe you can hunt in the marine park though?

Not really! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    Someone told me that a guy got a $1,000 (yes $1K) ticket for spearfishing in Smittys Cove in Whittier because it is a Marine Park? Can't find any info on it being a Federal Marine Park, fishing regs don't say anything either.
    We go there to snag silvers every year in the fall.

Just wondering what the deal is?

Here is a link to a forum that addressed this. Apparently it was voted on and approved back in July of 2008. Just google "alaska marine park whittier smitty" and you will come up with a few things.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ala...ttys-cove.html

Here is another thread from the same forum:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ala...rine-park.html

Thanks for the links, I've seen the first one, but not the second one. When you google for it, mostly the meeting minutes of Whittier city council come up, showing that they've been discussing it etc.

Interesting that there's no mention of it in the fishing regs, I can see people get in trouble easily just not knowing about it.