Thread: Insurance on remote cabin?

Default Insurance on remote cabin?

Our cabin is 45 miles by boat/float plane from the nearest town. So, the insurance quotes I got from Allstate and State Farm were very high, because we are so far from a fire station. But, it's in a rain forest, and we don't even have a wood stove, only a safe small propane heater for when we are there. Anyone know of an insurance alternative, mainly interested in storm damage, falling trees, theft and vandalism insurance...would even sign a waiver on any fire damage, unless proved it was vandalism...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Our cabin is 45 miles by boat/float plane from the nearest town. So, the insurance quotes I got from Allstate and State Farm were very high, because we are so far from a fire station. But, it's in a rain forest, and we don't even have a wood stove, only a safe small propane heater for when we are there. Anyone know of an insurance alternative, mainly interested in storm damage, falling trees, theft and vandalism insurance...would even sign a waiver on any fire damage, unless proved it was vandalism...
    I was getting ready to ask this same question. I am curious as to what the quote was? How much is High?

The other thing is that Insurance is a scam. You pay and pay and pay and when you file a claim they
    do everything they can not to pay. Its so bad that it makes you hire and adjusster to fight for your
    claim.

I'm an agent and get that question frequently. Unfortunately, the math behind insurance does not always parallel common sense [IMG]file:///C:\TEMP\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

I refer clients to Umaliak, an insurance company started by a native corporation. The standard companies in Alaska typically do not insure remote areas away from auto body shops or fire departments.

I believe Umaliak also has the ability to insure for specific perils (fire, theft, vandalism, wind, etc.) while the standard companies have a package policy that includes coverage for structure, contents, liability, etc...but don't quote me on that, you'll have to give them a call.

You can add a "secondary dwelling" endorsement with a standard company to your existing home policy but the endorsement is expensive and coverage is more limited than your regular home insurance policy.

Clear as mud? LOL

Any more insurance questions don't hesitate to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    I was getting ready to ask this same question. I am curious as to what the quote was? How much is High?

The other thing is that Insurance is a scam. You pay and pay and pay and when you file a claim they
    do everything they can not to pay. Its so bad that it makes you hire and adjusster to fight for your
    claim.
    LMAO You don't have a good agent and/or you didn't know what you purchased before you had to use it.

I hesitate to get into a debate about the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    LMAO You don't have a good agent and/or you didn't know what you purchased before you had to use it.

I hesitate to get into a debate about the industry.
    Maybe its different up there but down here I have heard nothing but nightmares
    including my own bad experiences with Allstate as a matter of fact. You should
    hear all the Insurnace Adjuster Ads on the Radio down here. That tells you something.

Maybe you are in the Industry? Nothing personal

Maybe its different up there but down here I have heard nothing but nightmares
    including my own bad experiences with Allstate as a matter of fact. You should
    hear all the Insurnace Adjuster Ads on the Radio down here. That tells you something.

Maybe you are in the Industry? Nothing personal
    Sorry Boone I posted this before I read you reply to the good Captain.

Sorry Boone I posted this before I read you reply to the good Captain.
    Not at all! I've heard Florida and other gulf states have had a hell of a time with hurricane, flood, and other issues. Hurry up and make your million so you can move to AK!

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Not at all! I've heard Florida and other gulf states have had a hell of a time with hurricane, flood, and other issues. Hurry up and make your million so you can move to AK!
    Well I cannot "move" up there as of now because my work keeps me here. I have purchased property
    at Canyon Lake on the Skwentna. I plan to build a cabin and use it for a month to six week summer
    getaway. I live cheap down her compared to most people as my home is boat that I own and its payed for.
    No property insurance or taxes and I don't have any debt. I had figured that insuring my cabin would
    be expensive and have thought I may do without.............Maybe a bad Idea? Interested to hear your...
    thoughts.

A pilot freind of mine told me something about a plane and I think it might hold true for this. "If you can't afford to just walk away you can't afford to own one" Just a memory I had while reading this thread. I have a remote lodge and have insurance for my buildings, equipment and accidental from Denali Alaskan Insurance and know there are others that are vieing for my monies.

Denali Alaskan Insurance440 E. 36th Ave. Suite 300 Anchorage AK 99503
    1-800-770-1825 | 907-257-1617 Direct

Here is a start.

George

Thanks, Boone and George Riddle...I will follow up on both of your tips. Yep, I can walk away and afford it, all is paid for...but here's my thoughts: Besides the money, we have so much family labor in this cabin we built from scratch. If it is destroyed, we may be more likely to rebuild it if we have the money in hand. Also, I want to leave the cabin in the family and give them the same chance to rebuild if necessary.

Well, I have had a number of Auto claims, almost all against the other guy's insurance, and all have gone well. Then, 8 years ago, our home and forested property burned to the ground. I cannot say enough GOOD things about how great the insurance companies were...home was under a local mutual company, shop/garage was under Safeco. We had a new home built from scratch and fully furnished in 9 months...and these were expensive homes and belongings. I do have friends in the South that can tell horror stories, I suppose some of that is from the extent of the disaster and the overwhelming cost to the insurance companies. My neighbors that lost homes had reasonable good experiences too, maybe not as great as mine, but they are all happy.

Oh...the quote I got to insure the cabin alone for $50K was $1500 a year...

I use Umaliak for my semi-rural residence. They have been, by far, the best price over the years. Send a PM to Boone or call Integra Insurance in Wasilla. Integra handles my policy.

AKDOUG,
    Thanks for the advice on cabin Ins. We'll have to look up your recommendations and see what they can do.
    So far no one will take ours as it's off the road system and main source of heat is a woodstove installed by us, not a professional.
    Go figure. Will pursue Umaliak, appreciate the tip.
    BK

Just to follow up....some great leads were given here if you want to insure a remote cabin AND you are an Alaska resident. Because I am an Idaho resident, those Alaskan companies suggested cannot insure me. Because I am an Idaho resident, my homeowner's insurance company, even though it is a national company, cannot insure my property in Alaska EXCEPT that my homeowner's liability on my primary residence here in Idaho can be extended to my AK cabin/land for a low $25 per year. So, if you visit me and fall down my steps, I gotcha covered! My belongings are covered too, but nothing on the actual building...well, it's a rain forest, so no worries about a wildfire!