Thread: overboot?!?!? could be on to something here

Default overboot?!?!? could be on to something here

I have been looking for some light weight warm boots i can use for snow shoeing while out hunting. As i was looking i saw Neos overboots. I am wondering if these would work over a tennis shoe (like nike frees) and still be warm enough for -5-20 degrees? The insulated boot i have now feels like concrete on my foot and bulky. I saw the average weight of the neos overboots were around 1 lb to 1.5lb.

The Neos I have used are not insulated at all. You would have to wear something insulating underneath. Also they are totally waterproof, so they are not breathable. If you use them for long periods, sweat will build up on the inside which will ruin the insulation underneath. In cold weather some people use a light breathable canvas boot over thick wool socks.

These might be.
    http://www.overshoesneos.com/product5.html

They make insulated ones to.

I use the River Trekkers and have had great service from them. Keep a pair in the boat for those unexpected times I have to get out to get off a gravel bar.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Those insulated NEOs are used by ALOT of mushers who want to be able to have on lightweight footwear yet still keep their feet warm. I've never tried it personally, but enough people do it that it must work pretty good...

I have also seen 40 below makes ones that doent have a hard sole.

Then you get into the bulk issue and not being able to get your bindings tight. When I was young and in shape I worked off snowshoes all winter long as a surveyor. On one job we cut over 50 miles of survey line off of snowshoes with chainsaws. You get used to "heavy" boots and I tried everything. In the end, nothing beat bunny boots and gaitors for that type of work.

I know Mountain View Sports has the river trekkers. I bought a pair there and love them. I'm not sure if they carry the rest of the Neos line. I use Neos insulated overboots for my job on the slope. I wear cotton socks in my normal steel toe boots and have the overboots on and my feet stay toasty all day. They have two insulated styles that I know of; The Explorer (what I use) and The Navigator. They are very similar but the Navigator is taller. If you are worried about if they will fit in your snowshoe bindings, take your snowshoes to Mountain View for a fit test. In summary, Neos are great.
    PC gag in place.