Thread: anybody have a good way to ship a boat north to ANC

Default anybody have a good way to ship a boat north to ANC

Hi Guys, I did a search and found some good infro, but does anybody have any current deals they know about. we would be moving it in early June. I have just bought a 290 Aquasport and have a trailer.The trailer is 40' tip to tip. The total wt is 11,000 lbs. Seems they charge by the foot, guess I could cut off the back three feet of unused bunk lol. Found a transporter that will pull it from RI to Seattle for $4000.00. You wouldn't believe how many boat are for sale on the northeast coast. The wife and I drove around for a couple of weeks looking at boats, you can buy anything you want very reasonable. Thanks in advance Tom

I have seen ads in the paper asking if people need something hauled up for them. Usually from people who bought a new truck in the states and are trying to help with the cost of driving it up. If that doesn't work I would check with Lynden transport and see what they charge.

It would be an adventure if you found out that putting the boat in the water and driving it up there was cheaper and less of a hassle

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Hi Guys, I did a search and found some good infro, but does anybody have any current deals they know about. we would be moving it in early June. I have just bought a 290 Aquasport and have a trailer.The trailer is 40' tip to tip. The total wt is 11,000 lbs. Seems they charge by the foot, guess I could cut off the back three feet of unused bunk lol. Found a transporter that will pull it from RI to Seattle for $4000.00. You wouldn't believe how many boat are for sale on the northeast coast. The wife and I drove around for a couple of weeks looking at boats, you can buy anything you want very reasonable. Thanks in advance Tom

I went through what your thinking of doing this spring, had my 29' lobstah boat trailered from Mass to Seattle and then barged to whittier. I'd be very warry of that $4000 quote, i've heard of to many nightmares of cheap trucking and then the guy gets stopped for no permits and just leaves the load or you get a call for more money needed. I got quotes from lots of haulers and all were just about the same in price except for one who was double the price. PM me if you have any questions.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I shipped my Ranger 25 on trailer via Northland Barge from Tacoma to Anchorage last spring, cost about 4K, took about 2 weeks. It was hassle free and damage free. Little expensive but worth the convenience and insurance that they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post

Hi Guys, got quotes back from three companys. Northland came back at 7100.00 , AML and Totem were $2000-4000 more. That made the choice easy. That is for the SEA to ANC. The RI to Seattle is set at $4000.00. The reason for the lower price is I have a trailer so he is going to just tow it on a back haul and payment is on delivery.I'll kep my fingers crossed and if that doesn't work I'll go pick it up with my dually and drag it myself. Thanks again for the input Tom

If you have a dually you could drive down and pick it up a lot cheaper than paying someone else to do it. Is there a lot of permitting hassles your trying to avoid?

I looked at doing the tow myself and when I did the math there isn't a big savings. The permits are a pain but doable thru a broker on line- about $800 or so. The Dually get 10 MPG empty and less towing heavy stuff, its a 96' 454 gas rig. After you figure in meals and hotels for a couple of weeks and of course the dealing with being on the road in the northeast and northwest. Oh yea there is also the middle east, DetRIOT. Then when you figure in the cost of Doc., Blood presure med LOL. The bottom line is its just gona cost, but the savings are there on the purchase side of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I went through what your thinking of doing this spring, had my 29' lobstah boat trailered from Mass to Seattle and then barged to whittier. I'd be very warry of that $4000 quote, i've heard of to many nightmares of cheap trucking and then the guy gets stopped for no permits and just leaves the load or you get a call for more money needed. I got quotes from lots of haulers and all were just about the same in price except for one who was double the price. PM me if you have any questions.
    Ditto what Steve says. I was lucky enough to get the call doubling the price a week before I was to fly back to close the deal on my 27 footer back in 2008. Time for Plan B! I wound up buying a 2 year old low mile diesel F-350 back in New Jersey where I bought the boat and sold it up here. At the time, diesel prices went way up to ~$5/gal. and I took little loss to sell it which was a surprise, but I still saved over $7000 from the $14k quote I had. It took 8 days at 60 mph max to get here from New Jersey and about $5k out of pocket for diesel, lodging, wide load permits, etc. Worst part is near Kluane Lake due to frost heaves. Somebody on a time clock would likely run over those frost heaves a lot faster than you would with your own boat. So many things can go wrong, you have to be really confident in who you select to tow your boat so check them out thoroughly.

F/W could I ask if you were going thru a broker on line that you get bids for the haul? Also how did you get the permits, thru a broker or did you call each state. I'm tempted to pull it up myself, I pulled a 21' PennYan up from NY in 2000. My dually is in upstate NY right now, 140,000 miles on it only got to get another 4600 or so. Could I ask how much weight you pulled with the 3500? Thanks Tom

Tom - I went through a broker, Bud's National Permit Service, for the L-48 states and did Alaska and Canada myself online. Be aware that once you set your route, you can't deviate from it to take side trips so be sure you know which roads you'll be using. Even with the permit service, there's a lot of paperwork involved you'll have to do yourself like insurance coverage. My boat is pretty heavy running close to 12,000# with trailer weight. The F-350 diesel pulled like a beast. While I didn't go over 60 mph, I didn't run into many hills it wouldn't pull at 60. I averaged 10 mpg for the 4800 mile trip. I came up in early May and had a smooth trip the whole way though had to adjust the boat on the trailer half way in Lloydminster Alberta at a friend's shop. It was a new trailer and though the dealer claimed it was set up for my boat, it's taken me a couple of years to get it set right. The bunks for instance weren't at the exact right angle to support the hull so if I had a towing service, I'm sure they wouldn't have taken it as easy as I did and may have suffered some damage.

I used Norsland Barge to ship my boat from Seattle to Anchorage.
    Cost was just under 4k.
    The boat arrived a little dusty but no damage to the boat or trailer.

Thanks for the info F/W. good to know stuff. I'm leaning towards just trailering up and being done with it. Tiderunner I think you mean Northland and they were the best price, $7000.00 for my boat. The trailer is bigger than I need but I already have it. Measured it today and its 43' tip to tip. I'm right there with the weight, empty wt. of boat and trailer is 11000 lbs and now it has a full tower and gear. I hate the waiting in the winter, just want to be done and fishing. Tom

Default Boat transport

@algonquin : call Michael at All Coasts Transport: 818-924-2217, refer to Jay. They are pretty cheap and have insured carriers.

i'd inquire w/ Trident Seafoods , PeterPan Seafoods and Icicle Seafoods. There is a plethora of tenders that come up each spring, the canneries can't answer for the tendermen but they can possibly give you some numbers to contact. Put an ad in the Permitmasters.com classified section. I bet you could get it hauled up for less than 2500.00. Theres lots of guys that come up w/ empty decks...FYI

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Tender ride might be cheap but whats it gonna cost for a crane to come to the tender dock and pick up the boat and or trailer? My bowpicker came up from Seattle on a tender (Seldovia) Ocean Beauty had the boat coming to Cordova and they handled all the crane stuff, when i went to pay them in Cordova they asked how many deliveries i made to them that flats season, i had made all my flats deliveries to them so they just said to me "don't worry about it". That sure helped a new guy just starting out in the fishery.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Tender ride might be cheap but whats it gonna cost for a crane to come to the tender dock and pick up the boat and or trailer?
    A lot of those tenders can pick you w/ their own crane. Heck I don't know Steve I'm just trying to participate here and if that means talking about things I know nothing about, then so be it!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Thanks guy's I'll look into this as a way to go. Potbuilder, which boat hauled the boat for you? I've from Seldovia. Can't wait to get home, I need to sit on my little mountain side and not hear anything but the woods, one more horn blowing and I'll be babbling to myself.

The name of the tender was the Seldovia, it was one of the old style power scows.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692