Thread: .454 casull

Default .454 casull

i recently bought the Taurus .454 casull "Raging Bull" for bear protection but i think its kind of heavy and might not be so quick to draw in the event of a charge buy a bear just wondering what folks thoughts wer on this gun/caliber for bear prtection??

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post
    i recently bought the Taurus .454 casull "Raging Bull" for bear protection but i think its kind of heavy and might not be so quick to draw in the event of a charge buy a bear just wondering what folks thoughts wer on this gun/caliber for bear prtection??
    Calibers starting with 4 and up as big as you can shoot with wide flat nose hard cast bullets are the ticket. 454 is very good indeed, donít like the Taurus Raging Bull for reliability much myself but 454 is an exhalant round. Not being able to shoot it fast and accurate enough is a valid reason for going down but itís all a game of trade-offs, gain handling speed loose power, gain power loose handling speed. For me I figure I may get one shot at best so I opt for power that will make that shot count. YMMV
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Right in line with Andy here
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

See, that's the difference between talking about it and having to do it. Kind of like the heavy recoil thing, when you have to do it, you won't notice the recoil, or in this case, the weight. When in dire straits, that big old pistol will come right out, no problem.

Not so sure about that, lots of ugly things happen under stress. The proverbial "chopping wood" comes to mind. Depends upon mental and physical conditioning.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

That goes for rifles also in my opinion. Within a reasonable range of course. That being said A 8mm Rem mag with a very well built bullet gets the job done also.

I believe in the cal. but not the revolver. (I am not bashing Taurus just facts that happened to me).
    Several years ago I had a raging bull in the same cal. Long story short, I closed the cylinder and a chrunching noise along with the cylinder locked up and I could not turn the cylinder, pull the trigger, or pull the hammer. Locked up hard, luckily it was empty. I had to return it to Taurus. Good thing Taurus has a lifetime warranty because there is a good chance you will need it. I never saw that gun again. Sold it before the factory mailed it back to me. I will not own a self protection weapon that is questionable in it's reliability.
    I replaced it with a S&W Mountain gun in 44 mag also have a redhawk in 45 colt and super redhawk in 480 ruger.

The 454c caliber is a very good choice if you practice a lot to manage the recoil.

Good luck to you

HipBoots

I think you will get faster with practice. And while it may not be a great choice for speed shooting at a bear it will be fine for handgun hunting moose.