Thread: laughing with lynx

Default laughing with lynx

So I must confess..this is my first go at lynx trapping. I'm a dog guy, and a pretty poor dog guy at that...so lynx, SHOULD BE easy right...haha, read on.

A couple days ago I laid some steel, 4 number 4 longs to be exact. 3 trails and one cubby in an area chock full of kitty sign.

Just going into this place gets your heart pumping....I let it sit a couple days to cool off, and check it this evening. Man alive, in the new snow, cats everywhere! Dang near drove into the ditch looking at tracks, a kid at xmas. First trail one of the big cats detoured down and turned back. My sets oh 200 yards away..dunno what happened there. The 2nd trail set had one wandering around looking for bunnies and didnt manage to walk down it far enough. My third set is a really impromptu cubby, (I'll get pics this weekend). A grouse wing, hunk of something smelly Al passed on to me and some pacific call spread liberally inside the cubby on a stick...stuff smells yummy. Reminds me of Deans old place on airport. I didnt walk down to it, the trap is chained to a tree....nothing in the trap.

The fourth, aaaah yes, the 4th trail set is right where I called from one night. Talk about a trail, holy toledo, I didnt think cats did this. Its a dirt mound pushed up by who knows what or how long ago, with a gap. Natural funnel and the cats are using it. If britches deep isnt enough to get you pumping, having one walking right to your set really gets ya all warm and fuzzy inside.

But the trap is still there, unsprung. The fresh snow told a tale that only gets better.

The cat stepped ON the pan, yes ON IT perfectly! But didnt set the trap. It than bounded oh a good 3 feet instead of its typical walk down the hill. I THOUGHT it was bead good, packed snow as best I could around the outside and wraped in wax paper, and covered with the perfect cat print on top. I was left scratching my head. A trap shy cat??? Never heard that before.

Now kids, dont do this at home. Remember number 4 long spring. I decided I'd feel for the pan just to be certain it hit the pan...thought maybe I was off on my print. I knew I wasnt. And about the time I noticed the wax paper making a ton of noise, SNAP goes that number 4 on my pointer finger on my liner gloves. That'll give ya smarts right there LOL!

Needless to say the trap wasnt froze down either. SO what gives? Other than admitting to something I shouldnt tell my bestest of friends....I've been cracking up all night about it. Did the cat hear that paper and vamoose? Maybe I had too much travel in my pan? This one fired on a hair trigger...though when setting a trail set, I hook the pan with my scoop so I know where its at while making my foot print. I'm thinking my hair trigger wasnt so hair, and the sound of the wax paper sent this kitty on its first trip to kittyhawk.

Too much fun, and one helluva good laugh! Not quite as good as pinching the palm of my hand on the spring of a mb750 the other day, just enough to give you some serious smarts. Relayed my evening with a wolf trapper friend of mine I dont get to talk too every often....after the laughing setteled down, he had two good stories, two seperate fellas with 330's on there arms........what we do for fun!

I did the finger thing when ice build up on a 280, same with a No 3.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I also became the trapped, just once. I was setting my trap on a trail that went past some hay bayles. I put my stakes in and set the trap. As I was moving my hands very slowly away it went snap. That hurts!!! The funny part was that I had bunny boots on and just couldn'g get my feet on the trap to release it. I was stuck there for a few minutes struggling before I was able to release it. It is funny now but it sure wasn't then!

Try snares.

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    Try snares.
    Well that would take the excitment right out of it

Save the traps for baited cubbies or snow hole type sets. Don't cover the trap. Lay finger size sticks around the jaws of the trap like a target...........to guide the foot to the pan. Lynx will step on an exposed trap.
    Use snares for the trail sets.
    Check out www.trapperman.com the Wilderness Forum
    http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...oard/15/page/1
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I Had a similar experience the day after I got home from a paramedic class I went out to reset some otter traps on a line I started before I left. On the first trap I was setting a 330 and one misplaced hand resulted in broken thumb in the jaws . After the initial pain I couldn't stop laughing. Never seen a finger get that flat haha. Not the first time I've caught myself and probably won't be the last. Comes with the territory I guess

I guess I should clarify they are track sets not trail sets. I dont have many traps or lots of room to put them out. I have a couple very very short impromptu lines. Really its a couple here couple there small area thing. My efforts right now are in delta on a section of land chock full of dogs. I had this problem before, trying to find a even shorter line to run and had little luck at best. Worst part of the deal was I bought a brand new skandic 440lt for it...ended up selling it to a guy in nome...along with what I thought was all my traps. That was 5 ish or so years ago, had 400 miles on it. Low and behold I called a buddy talking about snaring and he had my action packer with my 4's and 3's along with a couple of 2's in it. Now if I could only find the box with my dad old number 3 jumps...they all dissappeared in the divorce!

THey are traveling the area so frequently I thought a track set or two would be a smart move. I may make one a cubby,t hey seem to be roaming the area more than using that trail.... How much bait do I put inmy cubby? I have very little at best so I'm using it conservatively. I do need to get a couple of snares out. The one that stepped on the pan came through the next day and detoured slightly around it. I thought about putting a snare back up the trail a ways, or even a cubby right in the bend of the trail itself in the wide open.

Lynx are inquisitive animals. They follow their eyes, nose, and ears, to find their food/prey. Don't try to go to the lynx. Get the lynx to come to you. You do this by giving them eye and nose stimulation. Baited sets, like a cubby, with bait, lure, and visual enticers, will attract them to your set. Make the set messy. Feathers, fur, whatever, to give it eye appeal. Shiny ribbons like xmas tree wraps will help. Don't cover traps. Unless your worried about the trap getting weathered in, like from wind blown snow, leave it exposed but make sure it rests solidly and won't tip. Set thumb size sticks around the edge of the trap so the trap is the center of a target.
    Make the baited sets 10 feet or more off your regular trail. Pack down a narrow trail to the set and then set snares in that trail. Lynx snares can be 10 in dia. set 10 in. high but I like a 9 in. loop, 11 in high to decrease body catches. You can use willow sticks to sort of fence the spot the snare is set............to guide the lynx right thru the snare.
    Keep at it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks for the tips. On my bucket list to do one day!