Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10mm revolver!

Default Ruger 10mm revolver!

Never heard of them before until last week. Ruger made the new model blackhawks for a Ohio company, Buckeye sports or something. The revolvers were 38-40 with a conversion cylinder for 10mm. Never heard of the 38-40 either. But the 10mm is nothin new to me! Never owned a single action gun before. I found one and many searches and can't wait to get it. It is new in the box and never fired, was even kept in a controlled temperatur safe. Looks pretty sweet in the pics. Cheaper option than doing the Ruger Gp100 conversion to 10mm. Not sure how many were made back in 1990, just a few hundred it seems like. I didn't buy a .41 mag because I didn't want one, I wanted a 10mm Ruger!!

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Never heard of them before until last week. Ruger made the new model blackhawks for a Ohio company, Buckeye sports or something. The revolvers were 38-40 with a conversion cylinder for 10mm. Never heard of the 38-40 either. But the 10mm is nothin new to me! Never owned a single action gun before. I found one and many searches and can't wait to get it. It is new in the box and never fired, was even kept in a controlled temperatur safe. Looks pretty sweet in the pics. Cheaper option than doing the Ruger Gp100 conversion to 10mm. Not sure how many were made back in 1990, just a few hundred it seems like. I didn't buy a .41 mag because I didn't want one, I wanted a 10mm Ruger!!
    Sounds like a pretty sweet handgun. I'm looking forward to the pics...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Sounds like a neat piece...

I think that Davidsons also did a run of those a couple years ago. Very neat combo, I'm curious to see what kind of MV you get with the 10mm cyclinder...what bbl length?

Never heard of the 38-40? Wow, you need to get out more. In all fairness, it was as dead as 4'oclock long before either of us were born. It enjoyed a mild resurgence with the cowboy action crowd until folks figured out it was hard to reload with paper thin case mouths. Think of it as the great great grandpappy of the 10mm.

Murphy said he played with a 10mm Smith revolver and was able to step on the gas with it very close to 41mag. Sounds like fun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

6.5" bbl length. All blued, would be sweet if stainless, but oh well. I have some brass saved up, but I don't reload. Maybe, but doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    6.5" bbl length. All blued, would be sweet if stainless, but oh well. I have some brass saved up, but I don't reload. Maybe, but doubt it.
    The cost of good, heavy 10mm (Corbon, DT etc) vs the cost of a single stage press set up, the press would pay for itself within about 300 rounds.

Does it have to be a ruger?

Well I know you don't want a 41 but I do know what they will do if stepped on a bit. A 225 cast at 1480 or a 270 gr jacketed at 1200. The 10mm is a great round for an autoloader but if you're going to get a blackhawk you might as well get a cartridge that uses the whole cyl length. If the brass is tough enough, the 38/40 could be very close to the 41mag, possibly faster.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Does it have to be a ruger?
    Yeah, I didn't want a smith, found out about the GP100 conversion. Found this make of a rare revolver. It happened to be a ruger, I'm a ruger fan. I might just sell it, not sure yet. But it sounded cool and found a nib one. Will recieve tues most likely. See what I think of it. Nice addition to the glock if I keep it. Might be a cool gun to hunt with.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Well I know you don't want a 41 but I do know what they will do if stepped on a bit. A 225 cast at 1480 or a 270 gr jacketed at 1200. The 10mm is a great round for an autoloader but if you're going to get a blackhawk you might as well get a cartridge that uses the whole cyl length. If the brass is tough enough, the 38/40 could be very close to the 41mag, possibly faster.
    A bear or moose won't know the difference. I hear the brass was weak on the 38/40, still have not researched it. I have a bunch of 10mm 230gr ammo on hand, a 10mil fan ya could say.

So ya gonna give up on the G20 as a hunting piece now and just rock the revolver?? Sounds like a nice collector piece, but I am missing the point of a revolver over your G20 I guess. We want to see pics btw

Now you have done it. Now you are going to need an AR chambered in 10mm, as well as a 10mm MP5 clone. Next thing you know, you will be trying to get a Ruger 77/.357 rechambered to 10mm...

Quote Originally Posted by HBM View Post
    Now you have done it. Now you are going to need an AR chambered in 10mm, as well as a 10mm MP5 clone. Next thing you know, you will be trying to get a Ruger 77/.357 rechambered to 10mm...
    Found one for you HBM. http://jsgunparts.com/store/index.ph...&products_id=2 It's an Olympic Arms product. Not sure if others make a 10mm AR but I expect someone does. You know, I bet it would be a sweet shooter in 10mm.

MyTime

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    So ya gonna give up on the G20 as a hunting piece now and just rock the revolver?? Sounds like a nice collector piece, but I am missing the point of a revolver over your G20 I guess. We want to see pics btw
    Well you can load a lot hotter for a revolver, 10mm from a revolver can run quite close to 41 but donít mix up ammo and run the hot stuff in an auto. Or, if you have other 10s no need to have different ammo. Those are the only reasons I see for 10mm in a revolver.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt3840.htm

Here's a link to John Taffin's article about the pistol you describe and loading hotter-than-average ammo for it as well as casting bullets and some other background info.

Might be of some help...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well you can load a lot hotter for a revolver, 10mm from a revolver can run quite close to 41 but donít mix up ammo and run the hot stuff in an auto. Or, if you have other 10s no need to have different ammo. Those are the only reasons I see for 10mm in a revolver.
    Good POINTS, AD:

I have 3, 7x57 rifles. I hafta call them by 3 different names.

7x57, 7mm Mauser, and 95 Mauser, to differentiate the hand loads.

A 10 mm Revolver might be a dandy. (Near 41 Mag. power, and less recoil.)

But, doesn't the 10 mm headspace on the end of the case?

Could you put a Roll Crimp on the 10 revolver loads and headspace?

OR, would a Taper Crimp suffice?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by HBM View Post

I don't care about the others, but that Ruger 77/.357 idea is awesome! Only thing is factory 10mm won't gain much in a rifle length bbl I think. Basing this off claims I have heard from many people saying McNett, owner of DT, says for every inch of bbl you gain 50fps, just ain't happening! Atleast not in my 6"kkm compared to stock 4.6".

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Dude that G20 longslide is not anywhere! Just been curious about the revolver 10mm. I can shoot a revolver, last tested was a .454 casul and I am deadly accurate in single action. Even with 400gr hardcast in a 4" 460 S&W, that one hurts though! If I like the ruger and how it feels in my hand, it won't be a collector piece, my guns all have a purpose, and it will kill!

Oh, so this 4.5lb 10mm "backpacker" carbine probably doesn't interest you either...

http://www.guns-rifles-firearms.com/...s/Page349.html

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Good POINTS, AD:

I have 3, 7x57 rifles. I hafta call them by 3 different names.

7x57, 7mm Mauser, and 95 Mauser, to differentiate the hand loads.

A 10 mm Revolver might be a dandy. (Near 41 Mag. power, and less recoil.)

But, doesn't the 10 mm headspace on the end of the case?

Could you put a Roll Crimp on the 10 revolver loads and headspace?

OR, would a Taper Crimp suffice?

Smitty of the North
    I donít know, I have never had a 10mm revolver though Iíd nab one ifin I spotted one at a fair price. The only person I know that had any experience loading for one was Murphy and he didnít say anything about crimp/headspace issues that I remember. Iíd think if it was tricky Murphy would have said something about is so Iíd bet ether crimp would be fine just like in the auto.

Now a 10mm revolver that was cut for clips I think would be the cats meow because you wouldnít need a crimp so long as your brass ainít too long and you could shoot 40S&W in it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast