Thread: hyder

Question hyder

Does anyone know anything about the fishing, camping, or lodging at Hyder?

I think there are a ton of chums
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Hyder has Snow

Actually Hyder has had probably over 30 feet of total snowfall so far this winter and it's ain't stopped yet.

It is a world class chum run, like AKPM says. They get big as that is a one year hold over run. Some of the Cums that come in have stayed in Salt one year longer than the norm. Some years there are allot of Pinks.

There are allot of Brown Bear in the area so extream caution must be taken. There have been several Bear attacks in recent years one resulting in death. That is death to both the Bear and George.

There are campgrounds available and coin opp showers at the laundry rooms at the Sealaska and Camp-Run-A-Muk Rv Park.

There is lodging at the Grandview Inn (which I prefer) or at the Sealaska which is one of the Bars (and can be loud). I would recommend making reservations as places do fill up at certain times. Many people also stay on the BC side in Stewart at the King Eddie. There is limited food avaiable in Hyder, but you must eat at Dianna's place, 'The Bus' for very fresh and very good seafood.

Plenty of restaurants to choose from in Stewart.

There is also a late (late Sept / Oct) totally unfished world class Coho run.

Default Hyder AK

Hyder is a great place to see brown bears. There are two tributary creeks that run parallel on each side of the trail in the park viewing area that flows into the main river. You can see the bears chasing chums all over the place. Park rangers are present most of the time during tourist season. The main river is glacial, but the creeks run clear. Not sure how the fishing is? I do know the biggest chums on the Pacific coast run up the rivers and creeks.

There is good fishing in the Salmon (the main glacier) River and in Fish and Marx Creeks. There is also good fishing in some of the other smaller rivers that run into the Salmon.

The most common fished is Fish and Marx Creeks simply because of access. The most popular is where Fish Creek runs into the Salmon and one or two holes up the Fish creek.

Study the reg book as that is special restriction waters.