Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Semi Light-Weight Rifle

Default My New Semi Light-Weight Rifle

I am really pumped about my new rifle. I have gleaned so much info from this forum that I wanted to contribute something, even if it was a small nugget of info concerning a lightweight rifle.

Like everyone, I have had a few different rifles in the last 20 years of hunting, but I finally decided I wanted a light rifle for the hills. I live on a Taxidermist's budget and I have been waiting a year to find a good deal on a Browning A-Bolt II Titanium Mountain Rifle in .300wsm. They quit making them either last year or the year before (I believe), so I have been watching gunbrokers.com for over a year hoping to find one since they are discontinued. I found many at first, but then they started drying up, but the prices on the ones for sale dropped during my year of watching and I finally pulled the trigger on one (pun intended.)

I think the original suggested factory prices was around $1600.00, but someone can find one for under $900.00 if they work at it. I also learned that a lot of sellers will lower the price if you just ask them. Gun buying seems so varied at times.

The barrel is 23". With three rounds of 165gr in it, the weight is a legitimate 5lb 14oz. I hope to put a Zeiss Conquest Z600 on it and I already have Talley rings for it. That should still put me under 7 pounds. I have other rifles that need wheels they feel so heavy, so this will be a nice change.

Anyway, here is the photo of it hanging on my fish scales. I hope the photo shows up.

Congrats on the great rifle.

Going to be a fine mountain gun!
    Proud to be an American!

I've been hunting with a lightweight .300WSM for a few years now. Your other rifles will get jealous, it will very likely become your overwhelming favorite for everything.

Nice find!

Unfortunately for my budget I have found that after hunting with a light rifle I end up looking for an even lighter one... My latest is 6lbs 13.9oz all up with 4 in the mag box.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Unfortunately for my budget I have found that after hunting with a light rifle I end up looking for an even lighter one... My latest is 6lbs 13.9oz all up with 4 in the mag box.
    Wow, that is an impressive weight LJ. Maybe I should start shopping for a lighter one.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    Wow, that is an impressive weight LJ. Maybe I should start shopping for a lighter one.
    I am happy with the weight. We will see how it shoots soon. I hope to stay happy with it but with Melvin expected to release a production version of his NULA rifles under the "Forbes Rifles" banner soon.... well I may find the need to shed a few more ounces... I haven't played with the TI version but my Stainless Abolt is a darn nice rifle! Gotta love that fast 60* bolt throw! How does she shoot?

She's still a virgin. If it ever warms up above 10 degrees, I might break her in. Good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    How does she shoot?
    Yea, the next question should be...........is the gun accurate?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

That sure sounds like a nice rifle hope she works out for you!

MT - who cares if it's accurate - scopes are adjustable. I hope it's precise

Enjoy your new gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have bee eyeing that gun as well. Care to share the secret's of getting a good deal? Sounds like a great set-up. A year ago I looked a Titanium in a .325 caliber and he still wanted $1300. But the 300 wsm is what I really wanted. I am not interested in paying $1600. However around $900. sound like a good deal. You can send me a PM if you like,
    Thanks.

Nice gun, I think you'll love it. I have one in 325wsm topped with Talleys and a Zeiss as well. They are definitely a pleasure to carry. I was able to pick mine up two winters ago for $1,000. $900 is a great deal.

You are going to love carrying that around the woods. So what about the trick to get lower gun prices...

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    You are going to love carrying that around the woods. So what about the trick to get lower gun prices...
    I apologize if my post seemed like I was claiming a secret way to get low gun prices. I did not intend to convey that. I just patiently waited for a year to find a good priced gun. As anyone knows, it is hard to be 'patient' when it comes to buying hunting toys. I want all the toys right now, so it was tough waiting.

I've heard that them light guns don't shoot very well?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    I want all the toys right now, so it was tough waiting.
    I hear ya on that one. Right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

For that kind of money I would also recommend the Kimber Montana 84M. They chamber the 84M in short action calibers. If magnum calibers are necessary you can jump to the 8400 montana. The 84M comes in around 5lbs 3 ounces empty and the 8400 at around 5 lbs 12 ounces. As far as I know they are the lightest production rifles available.

I like browning rifles and my Kimber 84L doesn't have anything on his Browning Ti. Dang fine rifle right out of the box. My Kimber took some massaging with 320 grit to cycle reliably.

I have both the Browning Ti and the Kimber Montana. The Kimber is a lighter rifle but the Browning is a way better performer. My Kimber had to be sent back to the factory to make it feed. It's very finicky with ammo and you'll never be able to shoot a five shot group because it overheats after three rounds. I have heard Kimber has made some improvements in the last couple years though.

I'm getting half minute of angle at 300 yards with my 84M .308. Some factors to consider, ammo type and parallax. I would take a heavier profile barrel with the Kimber and not mind the extra pound of pound and a half it would add but, in a hunting gun, I dont expect to fire more than 2 rounds at anything I'm going after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast