Thread: How many POW Bear tags will be available?

Default How many POW Bear tags will be available?

Once POW goes to a draw for nonresidents, does anyone know how many tags will be available? Also, does anyone know how many people will be allowed in a drawing party / group?

thanks,
    RW

Sept 1 - Dec 31 = 30 tags
    Jan 1 - June 30 = 80 tags

A party hunt is for two only.

Quote Originally Posted by ibohnt View Post
    Sept 1 - Dec 31 = 30 tags
    Jan 1 - June 30 = 80 tags

A party hunt is for two only.
    Thanks! I'm happy with anything that maintains the quality and experience available on POW.

RW

Quote Originally Posted by HereDuckyDucky View Post
    Thanks! I'm happy with anything that maintains the quality and experience available on POW.

RW
    I am sure all the PWS hunters will disagree with you right after all the POW transporters move up to PWS. It's not going to be pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    I am sure all the PWS hunters will disagree with you right after all the POW transporters move up to PWS. It's not going to be pretty.
    How hard do you think it'll be to draw a spring tag?

RW

Folks who want to hunt POW will have a pretty good shot I think. It will require quite a bit of forethought which will hinder only the folks deciding to do a hunt 6 months out (my typical non-res folks, but oh well). For the fall hunts, remember the road closure so a skiff or transporter will be necessary.

Not to hijack but I do have a few questions someone smarter than me can hopefully answer:

1. Since the draw is for the Fall of 12/Spring of 13 will the person putting in for the Spring of 13 hunt have to purchase 2 hunting licenses? 1 to apply, 1 to hunt?

2. Where are the guides entitlement tags listed? Guided non-res folks have to draw as well I thought but I don't see it listed like the Kodiak draws. I would like to see how many they have just out of curiosity.

3. If the guides don't book hunts do the tags go into the leftover pool? Looking at the Kodiak guide tags MANY tags were not used last year which is probably economy related. Just wondering.

Good luck Ducky, lots of bears this year, should only get better with our current F&G folks on the case.

Lastly, this DOES NOT hinder the resident hunter from coming down to hunt.

Good luck all in the drawings!

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

My wife and I will be putting in annually regardless of the odds. It's our favorite place on earth, and we'll likely come up whether we have tags or not.

Gooch-
    in regards to your questions:
    1. When you apply for tags you can buy a 2013 hunting license. So non-residents should only have to buy 1 license if applying for spring 2013. You are correct though that hunting licenses are for a calendar year but regulatory year goes July 1-June 30.

2. This is a tricky one that the F&G folks have been working on. There aren't guided non-resident tags per se. Guided non-residents DO NOT have to draw a tag. The number of hunts a guide can conduct is allocated by the Forest Service. ADFG took into account the average number of bears the guides take and subtracted that from estimates of harvestable surplus of bears. In a sense it is an honor system on the part of the guides to stay within their current average. If it gets abused, ADFG could go back to the board the next cycle and say the current system isn't working and that all NR's need to draw. It's really in the guides best interest to police themselves. We'll see how that goes.

3. So, because of what I explained in #2, there isn't a leftover pool of guide tags available, but sometimes drawing tags are under subscribed and made available on a first come-first served basis. Since there hasn't ever been a black bear draw on POW, ADFG doesn't know how many will put in for the tags (or the % chance of being drawn) this first go-round. I wouldn't hold my breath though for any leftover POW tags.

One other thing, the controlled use area is scheduled to sunset after the fall 2012 season. The BOG may or may not extend it.

Excellent info, thanks a lot Fullcurl. I was hoping you could buy a 13 license, I knew you could buy the next years but not 2 years out.

As for the sunsetting of the fall closure, isn't that counter intuitive? It was argued that folks were shooting too many sows if I remember correctly. Won't this just cause the problem again? Res and non-res? I vote if we're this far into it, leave it in place. Make the guides work a bit harder ;-)
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Well, having the draw and the CUA is kind of double protection. With the control ADFG has over the hunt now by controlling permit numbers, the CUA may be superfluous. I'd say it's a good bet that extending the CUA will be visited at the next BOG meeting. Managers may very well decide having the double protection is warranted. Or the draw hunt may knock back the sow take so much it is unnecessary. I like the CUA as well, but I also like simplifying the regs and getting rid of regs if they are unnecessary.