Thread: Best Ammo for a Mini-14

Default Best Ammo for a Mini-14

I originally posted this question in the "hunting" forum but I probably should post this question here instead.

I recently picked up a Ruger Mini-14 and had the pleasure of shooting it for the first time last weekend. It shoots a tight pattern with the 55 grain ball ammo that I bought for it. I'm new to the 223/556 round and have heard that the mini-14 will handle the 55 grain .223 better than the 62 grain .223 ammo because of barrel twist. I'm not certain of what my barrel twist is on this mini-14 and what the best ammo load is for it. Does anyone have much experience with this round? This particular Mini was bought new in 2008 by the guy I bought it from.

Thanks

Don't quote me but I think it's a 1/9 twist. All my mini's have all shot tighter groups with 55 grain stuff. A good mini forum is perfectunion.com
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

What year are your mini's? I think the twist rate changed at some point around '98 or so. Went from a 1:9 to a 1:7 or visa-versa.

the mini 14 spec sheet on the ruger page says the newer barreld 14's have a 1/9 RH twist. If you call ruger in arizona they will tell you anything you need to know including day of completed production for that individual rifle
    Μολών λαβέ

Thanks for the info. They must have changed it to 1:9 for less heat in the barrel? I shot a mini that was manufactured in 1994 and the shots walked all over the place once the barrel was hot.

I've used the Remington MC in 55 grain with good success out of my Mini.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Tektonak View Post
    Thanks for the info. They must have changed it to 1:9 for less heat in the barrel? I shot a mini that was manufactured in 1994 and the shots walked all over the place once the barrel was hot.
    They changed to the heavy barrel in 08 I think, I have friends that have added stableizers under the barrels of older ones seem's to keep them shooting a bit straighter after they warm up
    Μολών λαβέ

I don't have my rifle at hand but it's an earlier 90's model with 1/7 twist. Neither 55's or 62's are great but my M855 clone reloads do better than the basic factory 55's I've tried.

I think mine was bought 1999. 5 to 6+ inches (at 100 yards) with 55 grain 5.56. 2 to 2 1/2" with Black Hills Blue box 69 or 77 grain 223.

Mine dates back to early production and it's real sweet on 55 grain, but marginal to poor on anything heavier. I scored four cases of WW ball a few years back, super cheap from a shop that was going out of business. It shoots so well (1.5-2") that I've started to hoard it a bit. Down to the last case, and I'm almost afraid to try anything available today till that's all gone.