Thread: End of the season PWS Deer Hunt....whos gonna be out there?

Default End of the season PWS Deer Hunt....whos gonna be out there?

Wondering if any of you will be out in the sound before the end of the season? My plan is to be out there sometime in the next 3 weeks. Would be nice to hook up with another group going. You know safety in numbers....not intending to get in on anyones secret honey hole. Just nice toknow if anyone is going to be around. I plan on hunting Montague and Knight. Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default Trip update

Sorry for the old thread...I didnt want to hijack any other threads on PWS deer hunting this season...just wanted to share with you our trip.

We left the ramp on Tues morning for an overnight trip in the Sound to experience some of the hottest deer hunting we have been hearing about on the forum lately. 2 hours later we are in what I think is prime deer hunting country and begin our hunt. The plan is to cruise in and out of every bay, cove, nook, etc in hopes to find the deer we've been hoping to fill the freezer with this winter. 2nd bay we hit we spot our 1st deer, a doe....I reposition the boat to get in closer and to give my partner a shot...we lose her behind a rock, but figure she'd be on the other side as we rounded the corner, but she's gone. No Biggie...we see our first deer and we have at least 3 hours more before it gets dark, so were excited to see what’s in the next cove. We press on.....

Well...this is where the story changes...Over the next 3 hours....I hit every bay, cove, nook, crack, you name it.... we looked there for any deer sign...and NOTHING, not one deer. Didnt we miss our chance...did you guys get them all, couldn’t you have saved a few for us?

Needless to say, we were very discouraged about our prospects of filling the freezer with venison? On top of this, the forecast for the next day called for 3ft building to 6ft seas. Not sure I wanted to stay another night considering our luck at finding the deer. Ive already covered almost 70 miles at this point and that was my limit on range before we had to turn back. So we decided with the little light we had left in the day, we were going to back track our route in hopes we see the doe again or perhaps more, and then make a decision to either camp or head home.

It was not looking good...the doe was not there where we saw her last. We were down to the last hour of daylight when we finally ended up where we started our hunt....it was decision time...do we camp or do we head home...Whatever we do we have to decide quick...finding a place to camp in the dark is tough. We sit and talk about our prospects of coming home with deer, we could camp and maybe find them the next day or…considering the weather forecast for the next day, we hightail it out of there before the weather changes. We decide to leave.....

At that moment…I notice the beach in front us has changed…instead of snow covered…its started to become exposed…and then I notice movement…I can make out the silhouette of a deer on the beach. She gets wind of us as I look over to my partner to tell him and books it out of there, my partner sees 2 more behind her run off.

Dangit, we lost our last chance at a deer or two or three. We contemplate our next move…do we stay now that we are seeing deer or leave. We decide we are going to round this point and see whats on the other side and then leave if nothing. Wow to my surprise what do we see…a lonely buck feeding on the beach. We quickly scramble to get into range, I creep straight into the beach, my partner gets setup. After a few tense moments, hoping the buck doesn’t smell us…cuz theres no way he could see us by now…. ….BOOM…buck down!!! After a quick picture we are back at the boat, buck (ungutted) and all .

We decide to sit for another ½ hour to see if anything decides to come down, but nothing shows. We know we can’t camp here at this spot and its too dark to maneuver into an unknown cove for the night. We can still see the outline of the island so we decide to head home. I set course on the GPS to give me enough room not to run into land and the water was flat, so off we go. Pretty uneventful boat trip back…but definitely an eerie feeling traveling in the dark, some 50 miles away from Whittier, but we make it back, through the tunnel, and home by 9:30pm.

I know if we had a few more hours of daylight left we would have gotten all the deer we wanted, gonna plan this again next year…but prolly earlier in the season. I hope you enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed sharing it. Heres a pic of the buck, sorry for the blurriness/darkness of it.

We ate tenderloin marinated in vinegar salad dressing and wrapped in bacon grilled on the BBQ last night. It was the BOMB.
    Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Whoa, had me worrying right along with ya, for a while,....
    Congrats on gettin one, looks pretty nice too

Runnin' home, while it's still flat out, can be hard to do, eh?

Just gotta think about what it could have been like,....
    with maybe, a couple more deer on board,....
    Yet suffering your way thru 6ft seas ??

Probably made a good call on that one,
    I LUuuuV, traveling on flat calm seas

Thanks for the update
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Way to stick with it!

FYI When you see deer on those beaches, There's probably a lot more in the timber fringe close to the beach. Not a bad place to stop and do a little looking around.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Yeah...we woulda stayed another day if were anchored in a safe place and the forecast woulda been a little better. I have been in some rougher stuff with the boat, but I've wised up as of late and woulda rathered head back and sleep in a warm bed, then play in the stuff the next day. Woulda been a perfect setup to wake up at low tide and look out the window to see the beach crawling with deer. My freezers are already full of bou and moose, so I'm good anyways.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I'm glad you got one and made it home safe. Congrats!

What I did was locate then. It was usually just 1, but on one occasion it was 3 and another time was 2. I swung way wide slow and down wind, aiming for 200 yards on either side.. Killed the motor and drifted quietly until it was shallow enough to jump out, I only wore muck boots, but on good gravel beaches the water was shallow a good ways out. Once on land the deer really never went far. And when they did, they were 50-75 meters in the tree line. Lots of em. It was windy the day I went and my boat is very quiet. May have made a difference. Either way congrats on a nice buck