Thread: Best ammo for a Mini-14?

Default Best ammo for a Mini-14?

I recently picked up a Ruger Mini-14 and had the pleasure of shooting it for the first time last weekend. It shoots a tight pattern with the 55 grain ball ammo that I bought for it. I'm new to the 223/556 round and have heard that the mini-14 will handle the 55 grain .223 better than the 62 grain .223 ammo because of barrel twist. I'm not certain of what my barrel twist is on this mini-14 and what the best ammo load is for it. Does anyone have much experience with this round? This particular Mini was bought new in 2008 by the guy I bought it from.

Thanks

I re-posted this under the shooting forum where it should probably have been posted all along.

the fiochi (spelling?) 50 grain vmax shoots a nice group (for a mini). it doesn't do wonders for saving fur though makes a pretty big hole. if you want to save hides 55gr fmj's make a small hole but aren't terribly accurate....all depends on what your doing with it.

I seen that Sportsmans has small boxed of .223 that you could affordably buy and test out at the range. Be careful with shooting 5.56 because I am not sure the mini 14 can shoot them. Even the AR's have to be stamped with 5.56 to be able to shoot them. I have found that trial and error is the best method. Personnelly shoot some different stuff and find what your rifle likes.