Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Any self-guided or rental boats available on Kodiak?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    335

    Default Any self-guided or rental boats available on Kodiak?

    Looks like our family trip to Alaska in 2012 is going to be Kodiak & I'm trying to find out if there's any kind of do-it-yourself/self-guided/rental boats available for saltwater fishing there. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member Mel Roe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kodiak
    Posts
    200

    Default

    I don't think anyone is offering this in Kodiak, at least not that I am aware of. You could double check with the visitors bureau.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    Looks like our family trip to Alaska in 2012 is going to be Kodiak & I'm trying to find out if there's any kind of do-it-yourself/self-guided/rental boats available for saltwater fishing there. Thanks!
    If you are military they rent boats at the Coast Guard base.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    If you are military they rent boats at the Coast Guard base.
    If so, check the schedule and allow some extra time. They require you to go through their boating safety class before renting, and there are geographic limits on where they'll let you take the boats.

  5. #5
    Member Tight Lines's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Kodiak Kamps rents Zodiacs with motors.
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    If so, check the schedule and allow some extra time. They require you to go through their boating safety class before renting, and there are geographic limits on where they'll let you take the boats.
    Thank you guys - I called & talked with those folks (MWR). They said that their current policy is for retired or active military, but not those who only served one or two tours, so even with my DD214 I'm out of luck on that.

    Ironically, they told me that one of the eligible groups is if one works for "Dept of Homeland Security", then you get the 'retired military' privileges at this place ... so I could work for TSA groping the flying public every day and get treated as if I'd served 20 years in the military. Theres about a 20 page essay in that subject alone ...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    Hey Greek, Just to help you not look unknowledgeable the COAST GUARED is under the department of Homeland Security!!! Homeland Security gives them thier funding get it. Did you get groped whith cold hands if so next time just ask them to do warm up first

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    Thank you guys - I called & talked with those folks (MWR). They said that their current policy is for retired or active military, but not those who only served one or two tours, so even with my DD214 I'm out of luck on that.

    Ironically, they told me that one of the eligible groups is if one works for "Dept of Homeland Security", then you get the 'retired military' privileges at this place ... so I could work for TSA groping the flying public every day and get treated as if I'd served 20 years in the military. Theres about a 20 page essay in that subject alone ...
    Yeah Zeek,

    It is sad that a bunch of gropers are considered equal or more important that the people who actually fight our wars. Coast Guard performs an important mission, but not to many come home in body bags.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    PAcWest, You might want to check some history before you talk to much about the Coast Guard! Not only does the Coast Guard go to War, and has done so longer than any other branch of service. They will risk thier lives to save your and my DUMB ***** too, so you or I don't have to go home in a body bag!

  10. #10
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,837

    Default

    I am pretty sure that he meant the TSA airport security guard..not the coast guard.....

  11. #11
    Member anonymous1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kodiak Is.
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Hey Zeek
    If you can considering getting out of town and renting a remote cabin PM me and I can give you a couple options at private cabins and FWS cabins

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    PAcWest, You might want to check some history before you talk to much about the Coast Guard! Not only does the Coast Guard go to War, and has done so longer than any other branch of service. They will risk thier lives to save your and my DUMB ***** too, so you or I don't have to go home in a body bag!
    I am pretty sure that we had an Army long before the coast guard was founded in 1790. Anyway, I thought I was just stating facts.

    War Deaths By Branch Since 1812
    Coast Guard 694
    U.S. Army 1,290,000
    Marines/Navy 83,891
    Air Force ???

    I love the Coast Guard and yes, they will risk their lives, but facts are facts and they just don't win our battles. God bless them anyways. I did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings. TSA I don't care about. Boobies on a boar. I have been shot at in two war zones, so I am not some armchair civilian smack talker.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,959

    Default

    The Coast Guard stared as the Revanue Cutter Service and has been the longest sea going service the history of America. You are right about lives lost! When I went to Boot Camp the CC's spent alot of time on how not to get shot! I was in two Gulf Wars, glad you made it back too! And thanks for your service!!!!!!!!

    The Army started in 1775, disbanded after the Treaty of Paris, then established in 1791 then disbanded again in 1796. The war of 1812 the Army was back and has been going strong! CG 1790 nonstop with just a name change

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Absolutely I was referring to the TSA. As far as I'm concerned, the Coast Guard is an armed service who face combat on a regular basis (look how well the drug runner boats down here are armed!). Even when they don't face combat, they still put their lives on the line routinely to rescue people in horrid situations. I was a US Marine, and I couldn't imagine doing what the Coasties do!!

    Last time I checked, the only hazardous duty involved in TSA is getting carpal tunnel from groping too many people.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •