Thread: Mathews Drenalin

Question Mathews Drenalin

Does anyone have the new Mathews Drenalin?? I have an Outback and was considering getting the new Mathews. Looking for feedback on it and the cracked limb thing was ran to death already so unless you have broke yours please don't tell me about it again I've saw the pictures. Just wanted to know if it shoots smooth, how well it shoots, ECT.... Thanks

Ok, I work at a bow shop part time. We sell mathews, and have sold probably 50 to 60 Drenalin's so far this year. We sell 10 drenalin's to 1 switchback XT. They are very smooth bow to shoot, they basically have no valley. If you let up any it tries to take off. Most of the Drenalin's max out at 74 or 75 pounds. Is it fast you ask. I can only tell you what mine does. I put string leeches in the string, I also have a d-loop and a peep installed in the string. As you know anything in the string slows it down. Do you know where they get there IBO standard for the speed. It is a bow that is 30 inch draw. Draw weight set at 70lbs. Arrow is 5 grains per inch, with a total weight of 350 grains. Bow perfectly tuned and a tied nock set on the string and nothing else in the string. Every inch shorter and anything in or on the string slowes the bow down.

Now is it smoother maybe a little bit. It shoots very nice and I am happy I got one. But I have to get one since I shoot for the shop and have to shoot the newest thing out.

I have not seen 1 broken limb to date on the drenalin.

My suggestion is go to your Mathews dealer and shoot one. Take your outback and shoot it side by side. I think you will switch.

Sorry I got off on a different subject. My bow shoots 292 fps with a 360 grain arrow and 65 lb draw and 29 in draw.

Maxed out, mine goes to 74 lbs. 360 grain arrow it shoots 313 fps

I sure hope this helps. It is a really nice LITE bow 3.85 lbs stripped, 320 fps at 30 in draw, and 70 lb draw weight.
    Last edited by barko; 03-26-2007 at 20:34. Reason: forgot to mention limbs, not 1 limb broken that I have seen

Default Well....

I have shot the Drenalin and to say the least I prefer the Switchback XT over it. Truthfully I really couldn't tell much difference between the two when I shot them. That is just my two cents. Don't think they are the only good bows on the market. I am still waiting for the new Ross Cardiac to come out.
    WVBOWAK

I don,t like it at all..To me the speed just does not constituted buying one .. Limbs them self,s IMO are questionable ..

I was thinking about getting the Dren, But after reading the testimonies on this bow (from the Mathews web Forum) there has been quite a number of problems with the limbs, the thinner limbs seem to make a cracking noise during draw which is a sign of stress. After looking at this bow, I just like the look of the switchback more,because it has a more beefy and more stout look to it. There are several Dren owners that are going back to the switchback XT because they aren't pleased. I think this is one bow Mathews will have to go back to the drawing boards with, but thats just My Opinion! ....K

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I was thinking about getting the Dren, But after reading the testimonies on this bow (from the Mathews web Forum) there has been quite a number of problems with the limbs, the thinner limbs seem to make a cracking noise during draw which is a sign of stress. After looking at this bow, I just like the look of the switchback more,because it has a more beefy and more stout look to it. There are several Dren owners that are going back to the switchback XT because they aren't pleased. I think this is one bow Mathews will have to go back to the drawing boards with, but thats just My Opinion! ....K
    Kahahawai

Just left Mathews forum, could not find any complaints on the Drenalin, could you point me in the right direction. I typed in on the search for (limb Problems) and Drenalin limbs could find anything.

I know there are people out there that are jealous of Mathews and get tired of hearing all the hype about Mathews and there new bows. That is how bow bashing gets started.

Like I said before I work in a shop that sells several mathews bows. We have sold 50 to 60 Drenalins this year already. I have not seen one set of limbs cracked. I am not there everyday so I might have missed a set, but the owner hasn't said anything either. I know we changed a set of XT limbs on Monday but that is it.

Fishingis4play
    Go read the forum's and see what you can find. www.mathewsinc.com then go to register and then forums and see if you can find anything bad.

I would go shoot the bow and make up your own mind. The biggest complaint I hear about mathews bows is this. I don't like there grip. That is the biggest complaint I hear.

Mathews is the easiest bow in the world to sell. It sells its self. Just let them shoot the bow and they are hooked. Unless they are a diehard fan of another company.

Are there faster bows out there? Yes
    Are there bows that are more accurate and forgiving? I would say so. This is a hunting bow, Not really a 3D bow, it can be shot as a 3d bow but don't be disapointed when you get beat by an Apex 7 or something that is made for targets.

The Drenalin is made for hunting, It is short, smooth, quite and fast which doesn't hurt. But you need to go shoot one and make up your own mind on the bow and not let anyone else make up your mind for you. GO SHOOT THE BOW, you will be happy you did.

Barko, go look in the Archives theres some actual pictures of the cracked limbs. I am also a Mathews user and I am not bad mouthing them, that is the only brand I shoot, I have shot Mathews since 2001, and been with them ever since I switched from Hoyt. I have owned my switchback from 2005 and I feel its one of the best bows mathews came out with since the MQ-1 and the Q2, this was my just my thoughts like I stated in my reply. I'm sure the guy is going to buy what he wants anyway, believe me the Dren is a nice looking bow, and with the changes its a big step toward bow technology, but I think there are some things that will change, I'm waiting to see what they come out with next year...K

I was just on the Mathews website, and aside from the pictures of the cracked limbs, there are several threads on the general discussion forum:

Page 5: "top limb popping on the dren"

Page 8: "Dren not as consistent as XT"

Page 10: "Dren Limbs popping like popcorn"

Page 13: "Loud Dren"

These are just a few, and what dren owners are experiencing( not all, but some)....K

Ok thanks I will go look at it.

Default Drenalin vs Switchback XT

I too currently shoot a Outback. Recently I shot both the Drenalin and Swithchback XT side by side. I perfered the Switchback XT it was a little heavier but seemed to absorb the shock (vibration) better. Drenalin was lighter and I could feel the shock more. Not really alot of difference between the Outback and Switchback XT, its for the person who wants the latest and greatest. Shot a few Hoyt's as well, but I'm a Mathews guy.

Thumbs up Thanks

Guess I'll have to drive up to Anchorage and shoot a Drenalin to see what I think. I love my Outback just thought I'd check out the new Mathews and see what everyone else thought of it. Thanks Again everyone! Steve

I've been bow shooting for over 30 years and picked up the drenalin and have been shooting it for the past 2 months-had inital problems with left tear on paper, but corrected and shoots both field pts and broadheads to same point. I like the bow, feels good, but the xt also felt good-get what fits.

I would wait and let them work the bugs out of the Dren, maybe see what they will come out with for next year...should find out this fall.....K

Default Solid bow

Quote Originally Posted by fishingis4play View Post
    Does anyone have the new Mathews Drenalin?? I have an Outback and was considering getting the new Mathews. Looking for feedback on it and the cracked limb thing was ran to death already so unless you have broke yours please don't tell me about it again I've saw the pictures. Just wanted to know if it shoots smooth, how well it shoots, ECT.... Thanks
    Yes, the Drenalin is a great bow. What I liked about this bow is the new light limbs. As described in this Drenalin review at 1.1 inches the new limbs are about half as wide as typical limbs.

Very brief review:
    - lightweight and high performing bow
    - stable
    - solid back wall
    - light yet durable limbs
    - compact limb-pocket system
    - smooth draw (but be aware of a non-adjustable eccentrics system)

IMO, the bow is great, durable, and very stable despite being equipped with light limbs.

What are your thought on the new limbs, guys? Did you like the look and feel of the Drenalin? How does it feel?

I have an '09 Dren and have had no problems and love shooting it.