Thread: CVA Wolf

Question CVA Wolf

Very sorry if this info I am looking for was posted before but, can't seem to see any

Now, New to Black Powder Muzzleloading and want a set up for hunting. While I DREAM of Alaska
    and hunting Alaska, I am in NY and most likely never get up to you guys but, who knows.... I love
    this site and trust your answers.

I want to pull the trigger on a CVA Wolf and the reviews look good but, would like to hear from you guys here.
    Anyone have any input on this little guy, the price is right and most shots here in my hunting area would always be in the 50yrd range or less. So any input WOULD be appreciated, Thanks, Joe

I have one and its great shoots well and is really easy to clean

Thanks redneck, it has a great price tag and seems like its all I'll need to start ML

picked up a wolf '50 this summer and am pleased so far... this is my second cva bp gun (picked up the first one 10+ yrs ago)

(all) BP guns are very simple in design, and they just don't support the the big price tag that some manufacture'ers call for. I've shot and cleaned the pricey ones and just can't see where the extra $$ goes.

CVA makes a great BP gun... go get yours, you'll be glad you did

Quote Originally Posted by ref+10 View Post
    and they just don't support the the big price tag that some manufacture'ers call for. I've shot and cleaned the pricey ones and just can't see where the extra $$ goes.
    Answer: Advertising/sponsorships. Other companies like T/C heavily promote their products through many shows on the Outdoor Channel.

yes, never have seen advsrtising from CVA. I did concider an TC Encore in BP due to the interchangable barrels. Would have liked
    to some day put a 454 pistol barrel'on one. I called TC who is now with Smith & Wesson and was told for now, no more Encores out until
    around April \ May and they may not reopen their custom shop for the 454 barrel I would want.

Over the years, I've seen advertising for some of the others ... including CVA, Knight, and Traditions. Just seems as thought >90% of the shows advertise for one or more of the TC products.

I have a Knight 50 cal and decided on that brand after using it at our muzzle loading course... as the TC's feel awkward/uncomfortable in my hands.

CVA advertises heavily in magazines, especially the two NRA mags. They spent so much money there that the NRA picked their Electra rifle as gun of the year, then sent a fleet of NRA lawyers to Colorado when that state wouldn't allow them in their special muzzleloader season. One hand washes the other for sure, and I bet CVA doesn't get that kind of service from the networks.

I have a .54 CVA Grey Wolf and it works great. Haven't had any problems, it shoots straight and cleans up well. There is a moose, or at least some of him, in my freezer that knows it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I have a .54 CVA Grey Wolf and it works great. Haven't had any problems, it shoots straight and cleans up well. There is a moose, or at least some of him, in my freezer that knows it works.
    Excellent, hope to take it out for deer this coming season, just worried about the quick need for a second shot.

"Quick" is a relative term. I'm pretty quick by some standards, firing three aimed shots in a minute after the first shot, or roughly 20 seconds per reload/aim/fire cycle. That's with a horn of loose powder and my ball/patch in a loading block. I tried the quick load tubes and they're really no faster for me.

Even 20 seconds for an aimed followup shot takes some practice, of course. The more organized you are in how (and where) you carry stuff, the faster you can do it. Once upon a time I carried everything but the kitchen sink in my shooting bag. That meant I had to dig through it all the time. Now I carry any extra gear elsewhere, and have only the loading block and a small day horn with attached measure in my shooting bag. If I'm using caps the capper is on my bag strap. If I'm using a flinter, I just prime with the same horn as my main charge.

Best thing of all, no matter how and what you shoot with, is to put all your gear on your body and take three giant steps away from the benchrest. Do all your loading while at the range from your body rather than from a tabletop, and you'll get pretty quick, too.

just worried about the quick need for a second shot.[/QUOTE]

Ya know what alot of folks fail to realize... is that IT'S LEGAL TO CARRY TWO MUZZLE LOADERS. The concept never occur'd to me til I was out one fall, years ago, after whitetails and my b.i.l. showed up toting two rifles. (what a concept!)
    At the prices CVA is asking you can afford to tote two into the woods

You can carry two. There are also double muzzle loader rifles to be had. Brown bear offers good advice to actually practice reloading. 20 seconds between shots is impressive. Keeping the weapon clean will help getting the second shot loaded quicker. And then there is always the advice of making sure of your shot to the max extent possible to minimize the need of a second shot. Yes, I know easier said then done.

Dad & JR buck.JPGJoe454,
    I will jump in and say there are many good guns on the market - I think it boils down to what feels and looks good to you Joe. The Wolf would make a fine gun and at 50 yards almost any other would as well. Ea one has its own little challenges - usually in the cleaning department - for the price its safe to say jump in and see if ya like it!
    As for a quick second shot - well I have not needed many using a conventional round if you take good shots so I would not let that worry ya. I love to bowhunt and its the first shot that is the most important. Like the others have said its a new ball game - practice practice practice! This feller got in front of my 50 cal Encore...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Yes, waiting to get out to Bass Pro in MA to check them out. Will be in the next month or so. Bass Pro?? All my gift cards for Christmas came from there. LOL. My family knows me well. Thanks for the info guys.