Thread: 3rd Kenai Wolf Down

Default 3rd Kenai Wolf Down

Went out last weekend and worked an old area where I had killed another wolf back in January. I called for 15 minutes before the ravens started to show. In all of my wolf encounters, 90% have had ravens show with the wolves working their way in. I have to believe the ravens follow the wolves and eat the scraps or dine when they are off the kill. At about the 18 minute mark, I heard some suffling in the snow at my six o'clock. When I turned to my left, the wolf was already at 25 yards to my left. It was focusing on the Mojo Puppy. As I raised my rifle, it turned and looked at me, only to turn back again at the puppy. I thumped her in the chest. 95 pound female....No lice, unlike others on the Kenai. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolf 2011.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	55367

Loren Reese

Great job Loren, congratulations on another wolf.

Congratulations, well done. What range were the other two harvested at...??? Any what call are you using...???

Thanks Peter!

the first was taken at 40 yards. It was filmed and can be seen at www.youtube.com/reeseoutdoors ......The second was taken at 20 yards. I used cottontail distress on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
    the first was taken at 40 yards. It was filmed and can be seen at www.youtube.com/reeseoutdoors ......The second was taken at 20 yards. I used cottontail distress on this one.
    Interesting, all could have been taken with a rimfire. I am going rethink my plan. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
    Went out last weekend and worked an old area where I had killed another wolf back in January. I called for 15 minutes before the ravens started to show. In all of my wolf encounters, 90% have had ravens show with the wolves working their way in. I have to believe the ravens follow the wolves and eat the scraps or dine when they are off the kill. At about the 18 minute mark, I heard some suffling in the snow at my six o'clock. When I turned to my left, the wolf was already at 25 yards to my left. It was focusing on the Mojo Puppy. As I raised my rifle, it turned and looked at me, only to turn back again at the puppy. I thumped her in the chest. 95 pound female....No lice, unlike others on the Kenai. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolf 2011.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	55367

Loren Reese
    Nice job Loren. You got any video footage to share this time. I enjoyed your last one.

Very nice job! Congrats on a fine dog. I am inspired.

Good observation, I watch Ravens for Fur too.

They are great at letting other predators come along as well, Beras Wolverine and other Wolves watch Ravens too......as well, when we lived in camp, and caribou were around, Ravens followed us too.

Is there a big problem with Lice on Wolves in the Kenai?? Of the Wolves we caught last winter only one had a noticable ammount of vermin, not common here, but not unheard of.

Good Catch
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

What caliber are you using? Great job!

Keep knocking them down Loren!!!!!!!!
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    What caliber are you using? Great job!
    He used a Mini-14 in the video, so I assume .223.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Your on a roll Loren - impressive!

Congrats. I have wolf envy!

Sounds like you have a good handle on how to call in wolfs Loren keep it up and good luck!