Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly-brown bear taxidermist in alaska

Default Grizzly-brown bear taxidermist in alaska

I have spent hours and days filling throught the threads to try and hunt down the good and the bad on Local Taxidermist and getting some brown bear rugs done. So I wanted to get a good thread going with a title that everyone can effectivly search and use.

I am looking for somebody in the Anchorage/Wasilla area on up the road to Fairbanks/North pole/Delta.

Lets keep the comments civil and informative both good and bad, PM with the names of the BAD as they will be blocked by the Moderators in good fasion.

Brown_Bear.jpg
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Dave at Frontier Taxidermy in Valdez, AK does some of the best rugs I have seen. The padding and felt work is much better than what is used by others. I have 3 rugs and Dave's work is head and shoulders above the others.

I see you are in the NP area, would be happy to let you see them if you like.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fur and Feather in ANC

steele griz8.jpgsteele griz19.jpgDave McClannahan, Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Dave at Frontier Taxidermy in Valdez, AK does some of the best rugs I have seen. The padding and felt work is much better than what is used by others. I have 3 rugs and Dave's work is head and shoulders above the others.

I see you are in the NP area, would be happy to let you see them if you like.

Steve
    Beautiful trophy, Steve. I really like the closed mouth mount.

Great looking bears guys this is what Im talking about Stid Id love to look at your bear sometime this winter, I should be back from this dusty He--Hole of sand soon.

Keep the info coming in guys I cant wait for spring time and some coastal Brownies
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Quote Originally Posted by 58dranger View Post
    Great looking bears guys this is what Im talking about Stid Id love to look at your bear sometime this winter, I should be back from this dusty He--Hole of sand soon.

Keep the info coming in guys I cant wait for spring time and some coastal Brownies
    Anytime, stay safe and we will see you when you get back.

This is a mountain Toklat grizzly, it was done by BrowTine Taxidermy in Fairbanks, I like the closed mouth better.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Have you looked through the Directory on this site? We should have most of them listed there. We are in the process of updating the Directory, so if anyone knows of businesses that are NOT listed, shoot the info to me via PM and we will add them. And now for a bit of related news...THE NEW DIRECTORYOver this winter we hope to have converted our entire directory over to a new software program. We've been working on this for over a year, and are really excited about it. The new directory allows the following enhancements:
    • Featured businesses. Our directory has always included ALL businesses related to the Alaska outdoors. We list them for free. But we have also offered businesses the opportunity to pay for a featured listing. The new directory offers significant enhancements to our featured listing service, which will be offered to our paid advertisers at no additional cost. If you are a business owner, contact Icebear for rates, or take a look at our Marketing Pages. This link is to our current directory program, and describes the ads currently available there. We will update it when we turn the new directory on.
    • Rating system! YES! We've had tons of requests in our forums for reviews of products and services (good and bad), but our forum rules prohibit negative comments about businesses. However our new directory, through the rating system, will allow the good ones to rise to the top. We won't allow businesses to be bashed in there, but the positive ratings the good ones receive will get the word out. Had a bad experience with an operator? Give them one star-- or none at all.
    • Save favorites. Do you use the same companies over and over, but sometimes lose track of their contact info? You can save your own custom list on your system.
    • Recommendation system. Is your friend looking for a taxidermist? Recommend one to him via an automated email system.
    • Robust sort function (sort by most popular, most reviewed, region, etc.) This will make it MUCH easier to sort through the thousands of listings in our directory.
    • More photos
    • Product details (including the ability to have separate pages for each service or product)
    • Booking system (for equipment / cabin rentals, guides, charters, etc.)
    • Google maps. Shows you exactly where they are.
    • Much, much more. Too many other features to list, but it's going to be a giant leap forward for us.

We will let you know when we're ready to turn the new directory on. You're going to really like it, and it's going to make planning your Alaska trip MUCH easier.-Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 06-01-2012 at 05:25.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yes I have checked out the directory and have contacted several of the listings I have also noticed several of the listed numbers and email links are no good anymore though. http://outdoorsdirectory.com/directory/taxiderm.htm
    Just wanted the actual input from unsolicited clients on the Forum, as refrences given by any business are far and few between if they are bad.
    Keep the comments coming guys spring time is on its way....
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Quote Originally Posted by 58dranger View Post
    Yes I have checked out the directory and have contacted several of the listings I have also noticed several of the listed numbers and email links are no good anymore though. http://outdoorsdirectory.com/directory/taxiderm.htm
    Just wanted the actual input from unsolicited clients on the Forum, as refrences given by any business are far and few between if they are bad.
    Keep the comments coming guys spring time is on its way....
    You are correct that some of the listings in our directory need to be updated. As I mentioned, we've been working on that for the last few months. We should have everything updated offline shortly, and then will start loading the new info. Shouldn't be too long.

It might give you better results if you just ask about the services you might use, rather than the whole state. Last time I checked there were over fifty people licensed to do taxidermy in Alaska, and they are scattered around pretty good. That said, Browtine is up your way and has received a number of positive reviews on this site. In the Anchorage area it's hard to beat Knight's. I've sent a lot of clients there over the years and have never had a complaint. And no, I get nothing out of offering the referral.

Hope it helps-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up Knight's

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    In the Anchorage area it's hard to beat Knight's.
    I second Knight's. Easy to work with, and wonderful work, that WORKS! (What I mean by that, is that you don't want your trophy's hair/fur falling out one year later). Great people to work with. I too have no affiliation with them other than as a customer.

As long as we're spreading kudos, Moyles (in the lower 48) is a great place to get your hide & fur tanned. I just got one back a few weeks ago; caribou; but it felt like mink. Nice.

Maybe when Mike's new system is in place, I can offer my input more-properly.

Never get tired of recommending Lone Wolf.

And like Stid, I really think closed mouth is the way to go.

Bears are just plain cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Sounds like Lonewolf, Knights, and Frontier are producing some pretty happy customers on here.

I like the coloring in the mouth of the Lone Wolf open mouth bear you have BILL S. Looks alot more accurate than the Browtine mount to me any how. I am liking the closed mouth bears a bit more and more though.

Keep themcoming in guys this is great
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

I am a 20 year taxidermist, but I only do fish now. However, I feel that I know who the best ones are at bears so PM me if you like. No benefit to me, just free info for a fellow hunter.
    Last edited by PAcWest; 12-02-2011 at 13:06. Reason: correction

Pm sent thanks
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

Woodland Taxidermy in Palmer did great for me.

Fosters in Wasilla. Dan is one top notch taxidermist.

Thanks for all of the great input on the good and the bad, Keep it coming think were are getting it narrowed down.
    RLTW
    HUNT HARD HUNT SAFE
    WILL

I've had great dealings with Jesse Dahlberg; he posts on the forum as hoytguy. His work is very good and his communication is absolutely top notch. I've dealt with a number of taxidermists and none have been better staying in touch throughout the process and providing the work as described. He works out of his home in Palmer; certainly worth a phone call.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My next door neighbor is very pleased with Foxy Beaver out of Big Lake. Cathy has some awesome work at her place in various stages of progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast