Thread: A question for Murphy

Default A question for Murphy

I had my rifle rebored by JES to 338 creating what I hope is a 338 WSM (or whatever name we give it) I received my Redding dies today labeled 300/338 WSM 2 die set - I have sized to expand the necks on a batch and when I chamber them in the rifle it closes very hard and I can detect, upon brass inspection, that the chamber is very tight to the base of the neck - Will this fireform out when fired or do I have a problem with the sizing die ? OR maybe I just don't know as much as I "thought" I did !

I understand that this seems like a pretty stupid question but up to now the only wildcats I have work on have been AI's and I always fireformed from factory brass, never encountering this and before I start experimenting with the sizing die I just wanted to ask someone who I was certain would be able to "guide" me the right direction but I guess I'm on my own .....

I was waiting for Murphy to answer, but he may be out somewhere. I am by no means an expert, but I have experienced the condition you describe when I need to push the shoulder back a little more. If it were me I would screw the die down a little and see if that made the bolt easier to close. If not I would fire just one and resize that case and see how it cambered after being fireformed.

Good luck on your new toy!!!

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thank you Steve !! I'll give that a try

and Steve - I would really like to have a 200 Accubond load shoot in my son's Montana 325 WSM, I am going to work up to that load you suggested, can you give me all the data ie: OAL, case, primer etc ...? APPRECIATED ALOT !!

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    and Steve - I would really like to have a 200 Accubond load shoot in my son's Montana 325 WSM, I am going to work up to that load you suggested, can you give me all the data ie: OAL, case, primer etc ...? APPRECIATED ALOT !!
    PM sent with data
    Founding Member

Not Murphy either but here is my opinion. After you expand the necks there might be a small ridge at the base of the neck causing the cases to be difficult to chamber. After expanding the necks run the cases through the FL sizing die and see what happens.

With standard 14 TPI dies, one full revolution of the sizing die = .07143. If you divide that up into a clock, with 12 equal positions (as we are so used to looking at clocks, this is easy to just eyeball), then each segment = .00595 of an inch.

Just turn down your sizing die one "o'clock" at a time until you don't have the resistance to chambering. That should give you just a few thousandths of clearance in the chamber, and still not "work" the brass too much.

Also make sure you are lubing the neck good and not pulling it forward as you pull the expander back through. Have seen this happen when the neck was not lubed enough and since you are resizing the brass to an oversize I could see this causing trouble.
    Founding Member

One other tip I would recommend is to either replace your expander with a carbide one, if you can't find one I would remove the expander and chuck it in a drill and use some JB bore paste on a rag and polish the expander. I do this on all my dies and have found that it greatly increase case life and requires much less lube. I have found even new expanders to benefit from polishing.
    Founding Member

I am curious if it would be feasible to fire form some 300 WSM brass and then measure it to compare to what you are producing in on the die set.

Would it not be easier on the brass to use 325wsm??? Seems like it would be closer to 338 than 300 is.
    Founding Member

I am using both Nosler 325 WSM brass Norma 300 WSM brass - I did get a carbide expander button and am installing it as soon as I'm done here - the ridge at the base of the neck just "might" be the culprit - Thank you Steve !!

I thought there was a headspace difference between 300 and 325 brass but I have not messed with any wildcat variants and have not attempted to chamber them in any rifle not factory built for that cartridge.

the only WSM case with any difference in the chamber itself is the 7mm WSM, apparently so an accidental chambering of the 7 in a 270 WSM was averted - Steve, as for the Norma 300 WSM cases, they had already been converted to 325 WSM so they were incrementally expanded, I used to do that with 6mm/284 brass too, 284 to 6.5/284 to 6mm/284 - the only reason I am using the Norma brass, other than I have it already, is that I am hoping to work good loads with 225's and 200's and that will allow me to keep them separated more easily - I am gonna try some fireform loads in the AM ...