Thread: Vodka to Stop Freezing

Default Vodka to Stop Freezing

Read on another forum that adding vodka to baits can stop it from freezing. Any thoughts on this?

I think you'll have a lot of volunteers to do a personal internal test trial if you want to do some human trials. According to a brief internet search 80 proof vodka will freeze at approximately -26.95 C or -16.51 F and 100 proof vodka will freeze at approximately -40.43 C or -40.78 F. If you're talking about bait I would question if the odor put off by the vodka would defeat the bait. Just questioning it, I have no idea.

MyTime

Who gives a crap if the bait is frozen, it still gives off a smell. It would be like pissing on your traps.... Non productive!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Buy me a case of vodka, and I'll let you know if it keeps your bait from freezing.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Great, now were gonna have drunk animal wondering around amously... Personnely I have never worried about frozen baits. They still stink and the lures still work no matter how cold.

It works to about -40,it does take awhile for the smell to go away,I take beaver castor and put in jar fill with vodka,shake every day or two after a few months it will smell like castor,but I like propylene glycol or Glycerine oil better than vodka.Then I can take that liquid and mix with other ing. to get what I want.
    Hope that helps

Most of us are OK with bait freezing. Lure is the problem. Lures that come in small bottle or squeeze type containers are hard to dispense when frozen.
    It's not the vodka that is the anti-freeze per se. It's the alcohol. You can buy alcohol to use as an anti-freeze in lures.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thanks Marten and Okie for the actual responses to my question.

Jim Thorpe has some bait making videos on You Tube. He uses 80 proof vodka and glycerine mixed with the paste from the testicles of the target animal and the casters from beavers. I used his method last winter with deer, otter, coon, and beaver. They smell much like a commercial lure with no alchol smell left in them. I have not tried them yet but will in a few weeks. He also says in the videos that the older it gets the better it is.