Thread: Downrigger setup

Default Downrigger setup

Ok, Since there are no stupid questions just some funnier then others (That's for you Eric) . My boat came with 2 new down-riggers are there any good sites,Books,dvds Ect.... on how to use them as far as setting them up for fishing ? It had a box of clips and other stuff but no idea on how,what or where they go on the end of the down-rigger

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

here's a quiick link i found with a google search. there is youtube content out there as well.
    http://www.protroll.com/books/?id=1&p_id=all
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thanks homerdave, Did not see that one

Or you could just take me fishing and have them dialed in straight away!

Here's a few things I like, and you might want.

The scotty plastic four-pronged ball holders are handy for when you're moving about. Position them so that at full retrieve you can easily swing the ball up into a secure spot on the gunwale, swim step, or gunwale tray.

I terminate the cable by wrapping it twice around whatever I'm tying to, with the second wrap going under the first. If you google a bit there's probably a name for it. Then I bring the tag end of the cable back beside the main cable and crimp with two proper-sized brass oval crimps spaced about an inch apart. I put one or two of Scotty's rubber snubbers on the line to cushion against over-zealous retrieves.

I make a snubber out of twine or tuna cord or gangion. Tie one end to a herky Bosco barrel swivel. Tie the other end to a herky Bosco barrel swivel that has the big corkscrew for attaching the weight. Snubber length = 2-3 feet. Secure cable to the plain bosco swivel and thread the weight onto the corkscrew. Makes it easy to grab the cable bare handed and swing the weight in.

For the release, run a 3' length of tuna cord or heavy (200# plus) monofilament between a longline snap and the release. Clip the longline clip to your gangion snubber.

Try to get round balls. Anything else is a gimmick. Heavier the better - I run 15#.

Thanks Vek but after reading all that I think I'm just going to take Hayduke fishing LOL!!!! Seriously Vek thanks for the information and the helpful hints that helped a bunch. So your saying stay away from the balls that look like fish Dang I told the wife to get me those for Christmas.

Thanks

Default More info

Spoonpullers forum has some good general and detailed info on trolling. And here's a photo from a couple of days ago with my manual Canon DR in the background. You can see how the snubber is set up (I believe it's a Scotty). I also use a Scotty friction clip and the teather you see (black line) which allows me to pull the ball back to the boat when it is retrieved...

jane 21.jpg