Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snare and steel thread, a pic says a 1000 words!

Default Snare and steel thread, a pic says a 1000 words!

I love looking at pics enjoy, post yours of the trap line. I learn so much just by looking at pictures. Post some pics of sets before the catch. I'm posting a couple of my pics with descriptions. Post some of your pics!

First pic is my favorite marten box (3 gallon Rubbermaid can) with a chunk of moose hide hanging under the leaning pole. 120 fits perfect in the opening. Under the pole I also have a #4 or MB650 bedded in the snow covered with wax paper.

Second pic is of a fox snare about 10yds off a bait pile (rd. kill moose)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trapline 2010 077.jpg 
Views:	1110 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	55342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fox 002.jpg 
Views:	956 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	55343

A couple more snare pics

One for yotes for one fox

Name:	sarah 045.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	55348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fox 001.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	55349

Name:	trapline 2010 085.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	55358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trapline 2010 086.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	55359

A vertical marten set with a grouse carcass ground into the climbing tree to add LOTS of scent, Magnum marten for LD lure and and chunk or Moose hide in the back of the can. To the right of the box you can see a lynx cubby baited with moose hide and rabbit. More Magnum Marten for LD call. Grouse wing hanging in a tree inbetween. I could spell this set 100 yds away.

Second set is a marten/mink set about 10yds up from the only open water I was able to find. It was -29 that day. TONS of tracks around it. Grouse carcass ground into the tree the can is on, Magnum marten LD call again and moose hide in the can. I prewire the hide before I even leave the house. You can see the size of the opening on those trash cans works good.

Great pictures, I really appreciate you posting those up! I haven't gotten started yet, just got my tags and snow shoes so i'm almost ready. What holds the trap in the garbage cans? I'm going to make some box sets with #1 long springs in the next few days for Ermine and i've got a couple buckets for some 120s I was going to try too. I'll post some photos eventually probably around the end of December.

Thanks again!

After you cut the slits in the sides of the can and slide the trap in I take two small pieces of wire (3" long or so) and put them through the springs and set the trap down, the wire catches in the lip of the can. The trap can't be pushed out because the 120 is at the back of the slots in the sides of the can but when it goes it is able to swing free since its not wired inside the bucket. I try to wire my 120's to a higher branch off to the side of my bucket. Sometimes I will put a #1.5LS on the leaning pole up to the bucket so I can get a double catch. Works great, learned completely by trial and error last year.

Default cross fox

Name:	Trap 2011 008.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	55551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011 007.JPG 
Views:	583 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	55552
    A nice cross from today, scent post that I got it off of. Got a rabbit in one of my fox snares and lost another fox in a trap that sprung to slow. Thats the problem with #1.65 coils this time of year. Replaced it with a #2.

Default another fox

Another red from the line this year. This one was caught with a #1.65 on a scent post/dirt hole.

Name:	trapping 2011 036.JPG 
Views:	622 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	55553

Default The student has become the teacher

It's been great reading your stories TM. I'm glad you're having success this year as I am having none.
    Thanks for sharing.

Here is a pic of a marten set I have in the mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S4200301.jpg  
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Weather has been killing me this year, its needs to stay warm or keep snowing. Took my daughter on my check today, had a blast. After checking our first set of traps we had one jump a trap, I think it fired slow because of ice. Second set had a moose nock down four snares. Third area had a suicidal rabbit land perfect in a #2DL, daughter was happy. Finally in the last area we rounded a corner and there was a nice cherry sitting in a #1.75 Bridger coil. I helped my daughter aim with my 9 shot S&W pistol (we have been shooting all summer with it) and she fired, dead fox. Overal good day, daughter got a little cold but with weather like we are having who wouldn't if you only weighed 47 pounds

Name:	rissa fox.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	55661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rissa rabbit.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	55662

Couple more sets we put in today (before I left, both snares had moose logs over them).

Name:	mount snare.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	55663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ridge snare.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	55664
    The first pic is on a little bit of an angle, the snare is acutally centered

Good job. Great to see your daughter out there with you. Prepare the next generation of sportsmen.

Great thread. Love the pics and the fox.

Hoping to have my first fox soon. They are around my sets but haven't gone to them yet. I added scent today. Hope it helps.

By the way, just curious, are you trapping anywhere near Meadow Lakes area? Looks a lot like the terrain I am in.

I'm within 15 miles of the Meadow Lakes area. I drive there every day to get my daughter at Meadow Lakes Elementary but I don't have any sets in that exact area.

I just checked most of my sets today and broke ice, I had 3 sets that should've had animals but I could stand on the sets without the traps firing, ice. Added a little scent and some trapping antifreeze to the set areas. I should have animals by the morning!

Cool. I am nowhere near the elementary school - closer out towards Houston by the Little Su but in north from the Parks a little towards Meadow Lakes area. Just didn't want to be too close to each other.

A few more sets that I got out yesterday, need it to dry out a little. Also got two more fox but they both look like little mud balls It will be fun brushing them out. That trail snare was completely fenced in by me. I broke that birch off about 50' off the trail, then the two cross trees I wired to a tree off to the side of the trail. The birch is compressed between them. Made a perfect trail snare once I added the spuce bows.

Name:	trail snare 002.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	55772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail snare 003.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	55773

Another trail set that I made. I really like setting snares on hills because the animals are pushing a little harder in those areas.

Name:	trail snare 001.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	55775

Here's a couple marten I caught this weekend. One was caught in a 110 vertical flower pot set. The other in a 330 wolervine 5 gallon bucket set. The one caught in the 330 has some serious waterhead.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03734.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	55787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03737.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	55788

a few more picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03739.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	55789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03747.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	55790

good looking animals! Crazy head on that one. I've never had an animal with water head. I got 15 more sets out today, long day! Hope to start seeing some marten and cat.

Getting tired of ice! I thought today was going to be a good check but all my traps were froze in I had two misses as well. Constant learning curve. Hopefully with cooler temps coming animals will start moving more.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast