Thread: 2012 Homer/Seward Halibut Limits Changed??

Default 2012 Homer/Seward Halibut Limits Changed??

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if the halibut limits have changed or will change for 2012 for Homer and Seward?
    Thanks in Advance

Homer is stll two at this time! But if some get thier way it could be one if you go on a charter! So let your State rep know how this would make you feel to be treated diffrent because you choose to go fishing on a charter and not bring your own boat to Alaska. Help protect your right to the same limit of halibut as any other fisherman in Alaska. Thanks, it is up to you and any other out of state angler or nonboat owner to speek up!!!!!! Do it now!!!!!!!!

When do such changes usually go into effect? (Talking about halibut/lings, not salmon) I have traveled there with friends for many years, but we left sitka, great place, because of the regs which seem to change at any time. We fished Homer last year specifically because we could keep some lings. Now I hear this may all change.

This has to be devastating for the guides/charters. I mean if I travel there and stay a week or more, I'd like to know what I can catch, legally. And, no, we don't bring home 200 lbs of filets each and try and rape the ocean. But it is nice to keep a few lings and take a shot at decent halibut.

No change for the lings, although it would be nice to see them go to one on the west side of gore pt, same as the east side, the charter boats targeting them keep having to go farther and farther out to get into decent fishing. no change yet on the Halibut, I think they postponed their decision pending more studies.

There no no change yet, that will be deterined in Janaury when the International Pacific Halibut Commission meetins in Anchorage. I will know more in a week, after the next Council meeting.

I am a guy who loves to catch fish, and I am not a person who loves lots of regulation in my life. But I must admit that something must be done about the amount ling cod being caught out of Seward. I still love to catch them the 1 time I head to Seward for the summer. 20-30 years ago they seemed to be "bycatch" while halibut fishing. Now, day after day week after week, (after July 1) the charters haul them back to the dock in substantial numbers. They are so slow growing that about 10 years ago I thought that they would be fished out, but WE just keep going further and further for them. I am not anti charter, but I really hope that the issue is addressed. As far as the halibut go, too much bycatch by commfish is what seems to be screwing us rec boys. (Just my $0.02 after a few cold ones) Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    When do such changes usually go into effect? (Talking about halibut/lings, not salmon) I have traveled there with friends for many years, but we left sitka, great place, because of the regs which seem to change at any time. We fished Homer last year specifically because we could keep some lings. Now I hear this may all change.
    I hope you reconsider SE AK. The west coast of Prince of Wales offers a diverse fishery. Our daily limits include: 1 king (annual limit of 3 or 4 depending on the abundance), 6 silvers, 6 pink salmon (most prefer to release them, but some request to catch them as they smoke up the dime bright pinks and love them) 1 halibut (under 37", but hopefully being raised) 1 ling between 30 and 40" (annual limit of 1 ling) and 1 yelloweye. (annual limit of 2). You can also catch 5 black bass daily, which are very tasty and make great fish tacos. It's a blast to get on a school of jumbo sized black bass on offshore rockpiles with salmon gear and put limits in boat in a short amount of time. Makes for a really fun day of fishing.