Thread: marlin jamming

Default marlin jamming

I have a 308 MXLR that i bought when they first came out and i really like it. I have shot several deer with it however I started having issues with it a few years ago. after firing, the spent case sometimes stays in the chamber as though the extractor let go of the rim. i can usually correct this by putting pressure on the extractor while opening it. It may occur once every 4 or 5 shots. Is this a common problem with this gun? and how easy of a fix is it?

i shoot several marlins and have never experienced this problem....even shooting the new .338 marlin express without any trouble. the extractor is a "weak" point on the lever action rifle, which is one reason to keep loads from excessive pressure. it just does not have the camming power of a bolt action. the marlin extractor is strong enough for any factory load, and performs well even with hornady leverevolution ammunition. perhaps your extractor is defective, in which case you can replace it at low cost. check ebay or go through your dealer.
    happy trails.
    jh

It seems to me the extractor is letting go of the rim. I heard of the typical 2in 1 type jam that marlins are notorious for but couldnt find any info on my malfunction. I have shot factory ammo as well as handloads and it seems there is no difference. the empty brass is tight enough to not fall out on its own but yet can be pulled out by a finger nail.

Any good gunsmiths in fairbanks i can take it to?
    I would like to have a trigger job and the action smoothed too.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishcrazy View Post
    It seems to me the extractor is letting go of the rim. I heard of the typical 2in 1 type jam that marlins are notorious for but couldnt find any info on my malfunction. I have shot factory ammo as well as handloads and it seems there is no difference. the empty brass is tight enough to not fall out on its own but yet can be pulled out by a finger nail.

Any good gunsmiths in fairbanks i can take it to?
    I would like to have a trigger job and the action smoothed too.
    Give Doug a call, does quality work at a fair price. Goes by Gunbugs on this forum. Please don't go to the place that starts with "A", pm me if you need more info.

Dougs Repairs

1020 Gilmore St
    Fairbanks, AK 99701
    Phone: 907-456-5799
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

+1 for Doug. He's a good mechanic.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

does anyone know if the 336 parts will fit on the xlrs? if it does this is a repair i can do myself for cheap if not i will consult with Doug

I've been told by an expert on here that your situation means you don't clean your gun often enough.

Mind you; I know nothing about you and your gun clearning habits/abilities; I'm just passing on what I've heard here. Take it with a grain of salt.

my initial thought too was that it was too dirty. I do clean my weapons thoroughly on a regular basis and once this problem started i bought a few new types of solvents and tried them all (at different times of course). i thoroughly scrubbed the chamber and throat til it was squeaky clean. This didnt change it much. next thought was the chamber needed "broke in" like the bore so i continued the regime of shooting and thoroughly cleaning the chamber. this still didnt help. my current thought is the extractor is weak or tweeked so that it slips off the rim on sticky casings. If it is the extractor i can swap that out myself and save some money in the process however i am looking for a little confirmation on the subject. (doin my homework so i can make the best choice)