Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yukon River, Eagle to Circle

Default Yukon River, Eagle to Circle

Anybody run this section of river? About how many miles is the run? How did you handle the logistics i.e. drop off boat in Eagle... haul truck/trailer to Circle etc.

I have a small 16' Mod V Jet Jon w/Yamaha 40 (30 hp with jet).. If my friend and I were to go light (as if we were backpacking) is this trip doable from a fuel standpoint? I realize that I need to calculate my gph consumption and figure fuel/gear weight etc. Just looking for river info and general thoughts.

I did that float twice w/ my parents in the 70's and we used a canoe w/ no motor the 1st time and the 2nd we had a grumman sports canoe w/ a 15 horse. We only fired up the outboard to get up the tributaries, like the Nation River and Charlie River. I think its a 165 mi float if my memory serves me correctly. We got dropped off in Eagle and picked up in Circle which is a great adventure for the person doing the driving. Both times we went it was July. The only slightly confusing part was when you get close to Circle the river braids alot. Shouldn't be a problem at all w/ modern GPS's of today. Take note of the permafrost cutbanks when you're running up rivers like the Charlie, I found a mastodon tooth but some people have actually found entire tusks sticking out.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

If bushrat doesn't chime in here soon, shoot him a pm. That's his neck of the woods.

In summer, you may opt for camping on a breezy island or shoreline, but if you're looking for a cabin stay, then the price is right for these w/in Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve: http://www.nps.gov/yuch/planyourvisi...cusecabins.htm

All are first come, first served.

I measured river miles using google earth. I came up with 150 so 165 sounds reasonable. I think it could be done in my little boat. Especially since we'd float a bunch of it anyway. I'll have to figure fuel consumption this summer.

How would you feel about leaving a vehicle in Eagle or Circle for a week or so? Anybody have bad experiences with thievery in these towns? I know it can happen anywhere but does it seem more or less likely than in other towns?

I was thinking...

1-Put motorcycle in bed of truck (I have a small 250 cc dual sport) and hook up boat trailer.
    2-Haul everything to Eagle.
    3-Buddy stays with truck/boat & I ride motorcycle to Circle.
    4-Leave motorcycle in Circle (chain to tree?) and hitchhike...or convince other buddy with airplane to fly up and provide ride to Eagle.
    5-Play on the river for a week or so ending up in Circle.
    6-Buddy stays with boat while I ride to Eagle and get truck.

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    I measured river miles using google earth. I came up with 150 so 165 sounds reasonable. I think it could be done in my little boat. Especially since we'd float a bunch of it anyway. I'll have to figure fuel consumption this summer.

How would you feel about leaving a vehicle in Eagle or Circle for a week or so? Anybody have bad experiences with thievery in these towns? I know it can happen anywhere but does it seem more or less likely than in other towns?

I was thinking...

1-Put motorcycle in bed of truck (I have a small 250 cc dual sport) and hook up boat trailer.
    2-Haul everything to Eagle.
    3-Buddy stays with truck/boat & I ride motorcycle to Circle.
    4-Leave motorcycle in Circle (chain to tree?) and hitchhike...or convince other buddy with airplane to fly up and provide ride to Eagle.
    5-Play on the river for a week or so ending up in Circle.
    6-Buddy stays with boat while I ride to Eagle and get truck.
    All those logistics seem like a nightmare, I'd find somebody to drop you off and take the vehicle to Circle. The Taylor Highway is not the best traveling I wouldn't want to do 2 roundtrips on it in the same year. If you are in a bind, then leave your rig in Eagle, float the river and fly up and get your rig.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Or... duh. If airplane buddy will give me a ride from Circle to Eagle (to get the truck) why fart around with the Motorcycle? Same goes for hitchhiking... the motorcycle wouldn't save any time or miles.

Or fly to Eagle, rent a canoe or two, take a leisurely float. Leave the canoe(s) in Circle and go home. Spend the gas money you save on adult beverages and steak.

If you have a motor, why even worry about a different take-out than where you're putting in. I've done two extended trips out in that region. Fuel figures for your boat will be different than mine, but for 100 miles of river (going up river), I will burn 10 gallons of gas with a 1200 lb. load. 8-14 mph up river during very high water. Very powerful current in sections.

1,800 lbs going down river(people, dog, gas, gear), 4 gallons of gas for 100 miles of Yukon River. 18 mph at half throttle down river.

I only use the big ole Yukon as my highway to get to smaller rivers between Circle and Eagle. I've put a good amount of time out there on the big highway river. For the past two seasons, I've left for the summer.

Nice thing is you don't have to shave, or get a hair cut! Good luck and stay safe, the river begs for human sacrifice, it hisses for it under your boat hull.
    I'm a bit private about the rivers I go up, so please don't ask. I consider the Yukon a public highway though.

Attached Images Attached Images

Few more random pictures of a smaller river that dumps into the Yukon:

Full speed advance up some fast current, then turning the boat for all she's worth! Slicing the water is fun fun.

Motor trimmed for the shallow gravel:

Have you thought of powering up current from Circle to Eagle and then floating back?? Would solve your pickup issue and if you break down just float back.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Headin back up river, we were on the last section before finally making it back to Eagle a little over a month later. We were excited to get back on the road again:

Great stuff Mainer! I love your pics of you, your boys and your outfit! Excellent pics of your outfit. What a trip for those boys! Very nifty rig.

I agree with stid, motor up and float down. I know a fellow that drags, and lines his canoe up a road less area creek for several miles up from the bridge. He takes a moose or caribou and float drags it back down with the camp back to the road. They did it for years with the kids and whole family everyone walking the bank while dad and the boys pulled the canoe w/camp upstream. It took several days to get to where they wanted to hunt but no one else was there. No one ever thinks of that kind of "trip" now-a-days its all hurry hurry.

The whole family still looks like they belong on the cast of the 70's show too. No blubber butts on that crew...

Those hills on the Yukon are calling me....Thanks again!

If you have a motor, why even worry about a different take-out than where you're putting in.
    Have you thought of powering up current from Circle to Eagle and then floating back?? Would solve your pickup issue and if you break down just float back.
    Excellent points. I guess I'm still thinking like I did when I only had a canoe (not that that was a bad thing). Is there a gas station within walking distance of the river in Eagle so I don't need to haul enough fuel for the return trip as well? Of course I'll bring extra fuel for the up river trip... just in case. I won't need much fuel on the way down because my boat rows very nicely. But I'll want to have more than I think I'll need just in case.

Does this trip sound doable in a week to ten days? I want to moose hunt including a side trip up a tributary or two.

Or fly to Eagle, rent a canoe or two, take a leisurely float. Leave the canoe(s) in Circle and go home. Spend the gas money you save on adult beverages and steak.
    Isn't this the "power boating" section? Don't get me wrong, I love canoes but I wasn't asking about floating the river in a canoe.

what time of the year are you planning?

Moose season... I haven't thought it all out yet though. Just looking for ideas for next moose season. I still need to look into some very important stuff like is hunting even allowed in the Yukon/Charley NP, if so what are the regulations/requirements (drawing, harvest etc.)? Either way it looks like it could be a fun run and I may do with that in mind. In that case I'd go during the summer. Or maybe run it in the summer to see if it looks good for fall.

Just want to point out that is a small boat for a couple guys, gear, gas and a moose. My 21ft Jetboat with a 150hp will only get 1650lbs on step. Adding 500 lbs of moose or more is a game changer, from just a camping trip.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
    Moose season... I haven't thought it all out yet though. Just looking for ideas for next moose season. I still need to look into some very important stuff like is hunting even allowed in the Yukon/Charley NP, if so what are the regulations/requirements (drawing, harvest etc.)? Either way it looks like it could be a fun run and I may do with that in mind. In that case I'd go during the summer. Or maybe run it in the summer to see if it looks good for fall.

Yeah you can hunt the Yukon/Charley, heres a link to the Feds site and if you look long enough you can find the specific regs, lotsa of rules to question and just dont get to "Wilde" and you will be OK...........

http://www.nps.gov/yuch/index.htm
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Just want to point out that is a small boat for a couple guys, gear, gas and a moose. My 21ft Jetboat with a 150hp will only get 1650lbs on step. Adding 500 lbs of moose or more is a game changer, from just a camping trip.
    Steve, you need a set of pods............!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I don't think I could count on getting on step while hauling moose quarters. That's why I don't plan on hauling a moose upstream. The motor and or oars would mainly be for steerage. I may even bring an inflatable to but the quarters in.

What are pods?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast