Thread: need a bigger boat?? need more room!!

Default need a bigger boat?? need more room!!

hi guys...the mrs and i are toying around with the idea of getting a couple of small, or one bigger kayak to put in the pez??..........problem?...were the crap would we put it?.....we have the 9.5 achilles on top as it is(see pic below)??........does anyone carry a kayak(s) on their boat?....i guess we could slide the raft over?....thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Couldn't you hang them over the gunwales? Tie the bow and stern lines to the gunwale cleats and let'm hang. Just a thought.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

How about building a rack off your Extended Transom over your Outboard Motors. A little aluminum tubing, a bender and welder or a fabricator and your in bussiness. I've seen a few boats with racks like that for storage or even as an extended Fishing Platform. You could strap your kayaks to the top of the rack and even make a removable bracket with pins to secure kinda like a big gunrack and lay them inside the brackets and use a strap to keep them snug. When you decide to take them out, just slide them out. Easy on and off. When not carrying Kayaks, you could carry basically anything else you want and just remove the removable gunrack style bracket. Or if you want, make the entire bracket removable to have a free Extended Transom. Just a thought.

How about one or two Aire inflatable kayaks? Store them anywhere until you need them, then pump em up and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Couldn't you hang them over the gunwales? Tie the bow and stern lines to the gunwale cleats and let'm hang. Just a thought.

I don't believe the kayak will mind...

How about something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/767998/thule-hull-a-port-pro

A friend uses a similar one on his 24 foot wooldridge and it works great. You have a lot more room to work with than he does. Here is a pic, shot from a distance, that shows it. He also puts a 10 foot inflatable up there.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    How about one or two Aire inflatable kayaks? Store them anywhere until you need them, then pump em up and play.
    I agree. I have two inflatable kayaks I keep on top (leave the dinghy at home when I take the kayaks). You could easily and quickly inflate them when needed. You could also probably just keep them inflated and strap them on top of your dinghy, but that's just the more for the wind to push against while under way or anchored.

Thumbs up Easy fix...

My dinghy sits on a rack about twelve inches above the roof, two kayaks slip right underneath. They slide in from the front of the boat, you don't really need to strap them down, they just slide in like a drawer in a cabinet! Looking at your radar rack, you have half of it built already. You need to see my boat and then you'll go AH-HA!

I used the Thule Hull-A-Port Pro vertical Kayak carrier on my 24' Wooldridge. To attach the rack to the boat I cut down two lengths of stainless tubing, drilled a bracked for one side of the "rack", and modified another bracket to attach the outboard end of the rack to the cabin top rails. The setup worked great all summer. I am adding a crane to the roof next spring, and will need a bit more room on top, so I am going to add the Yakima Rail Grabs to attach the rack to the cabin top rails. I will be able to extend the bars and the kayak over the edge of the cabin by about 6 inches. This will allow me to center the Zodiac for the crane a bit better. The kayak never moves in the rack, whether on the water or being pulled behind the truck at 70mph. The kayak can be taken on/off the boat in about 3 minutes.

Your just trying to make me jealous.....

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    How about something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/767998/thule-hull-a-port-pro

A friend uses a similar one on his 24 foot wooldridge and it works great. You have a lot more room to work with than he does. Here is a pic, shot from a distance, that shows it. He also puts a 10 foot inflatable up there.

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

thanks everyone,,,,so, i see it CAN be done.,.lot of info here, so will have to take my time and see what is best foir us!....question, what would the wind drag be with all that "sail" up top with TWO kayaks?.....but looks totally doable!.thanks again larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

bcariverhunter,

We use Yakima's kayak carrier on our boat. I went with their rack as it could be attached to the existing 1" aluminum rack that was on the house. No issues or problems with this solution over the last seven years.

As far as additional windage due to two kayaks on top of your house, I would think it would be negliable as compared to the windage due to the house in my opinion.

Doug

DSC_0088.jpg