Thread: Sheep cape- Bleach or not???

Question Sheep cape- Bleach or not???

I just a got a call from my taxidermist that my cape made it back from the tannery in great shape. He said that I might want to swing by and take a look at it to see if I want him to bleach it. I'm a fan of natural coloration within reason, and think I will go that way, but I haven't seen the cape yet. It looked great to me before sending it off, but I don't know how much the tanning process affects the color. I'm curious as to what you guys prefer, and if you could post some photos of your mounts and say if they are bleached or not. Thanks in advance.

I had both mine bleached as they were way bloody, I like the way they look after the bleaching. My second Ram has a lot of shale stains and they did not bleach out and I like that. The bleaching only removed the blood stains.

Steve

Shale Ram, you can see the stains on his shoulder.

Alaska Range Ram

Before Bleaching

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Bleached

Sheep mount.jpgThis one was pretty yellow. I wanted it natural also, but it was shot late in September and had lots of yellowing from the rain/snow. Glad I did it now--it really makes the horns stand out. Picture isn't the best--from my phone.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Stekewood, it all comes down to personal preference. In general, I'm also a fan of natural coloration...within reason. I bleached my sheep, and I don't regret it for a second. The taxi doesn't have to bleach it prior to mounting. Have him proceed and take a look at it once the hide is on the form and mostly completed.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

stid2677:

From your many posts, and pictures, you must be a Great Hunter.

Like I WANTED to be when I came to the Greatland many years ago.

I just wanted to express my admiration, and appreciation for the info you provide.

Keep it comin.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

My taxidermist in Anchorage told me they dont like to bleach sheep capes because the process cuts down on the life of the cape, he said you would more than likely have to replace it within a couple of years. Might be something to talk about with your taxi.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Anyone have a picture of a "dirty" au natural mount?

I don't have a closer picture at the time, but you can see the gray from the shale in the shoulders on this these. I don't know if shale dirt would bleach out or not, but I can't see wanting it out either. If the cape was bloody, then I can see bleaching the blood out, but every time I look at the mounts, and see all that gray on their shoulders, it takes me right back up onto that rocky hillside again.

Hope that helps.

Couldn't agree more wykee5. I'm a firm beleiver in leaving the animal as you found it; ie your beautiful grey cape. Great looking rams! I love the looks of that broomed Ram. Who did your mounts?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I think that when they are bleached out, they don't look the same. I've only shot one ram that was "virgin" white. The others were dirty. I can see bleaching out the blood though.

Our mounts were done by Jim Benson, of Sportman's Taxidermy Studio. He is out of Minnesota. The capes were done by Alpha Furs in Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I had both mine bleached as they were way bloody, I like the way they look after the bleaching. My second Ram has a lot of shale stains and they did not bleach out and I like that. The bleaching only removed the blood stains.

Steve

Shale Ram, you can see the stains on his shoulder.

Alaska Range Ram

Before Bleaching

Steve, those are some beauts. The bleaching looks pretty good.
    Love the width on the Shale Ram, Where did he come out of?? if you don't mind...

Quote Originally Posted by CtP View Post
    Steve, those are some beauts. The bleaching looks pretty good.
    Love the width on the Shale Ram, Where did he come out of?? if you don't mind...

The Mountains.

Just Kidding, here ya go tells all about him.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...bou?highlight=
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Bleaching will make already pretty fragile hair more brittle. Your mount will last a lot longer if it isn't bleached.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

No offense and I don't mean to counter anyone's opinions, but bleaching will absolutely NOT shorten the life of your mount. I have a couple hundred sheep mounts under my belt in a little over 20 years of taxidermy and have bleached 90% of the white guys. Bleaching is also a figure of speech as there are several ways to turn sheep hair whiter. There are processes that are actually dye jobs. It is true that real peroxide bleaching will make hair more brittle, but the animal being dead also makes the hair more brittle. The brittleness is not an issue if done properly. All mounts need to be 'maintained' and cleaned, so if you take care of the mount, no worries. There is no potential of your mount's life being shortened if you bleach or color your sheep whiter.